News   Apr 25, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 837     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 838     0 

DRL Station Design

My biggest complaints of the station design are that the subway platform is too far south (more people will be going to the LRT and buses than to the Science Centre), and that the colour for the ECLRT is a bit too light (SRT blue is a bit darker). In other words, the design is awesome! Quickly forward these designs to the TTC so they future-proof the Don Mills ECLRT station!

Also, why do you have two OneStop screens on the same pole? Isn't that redundant?

Not sure why you use orange as the colour for the DRL. Orange is such an ugly colour (look at MT buses). Did we ever have a vote on the colour of the DRL? My vote is red.

Orange is the only remaining primary or secondary colour that isn't currently in use by the TTC. Red is used for surface routes, as has been pointed out to you several times before. It's true that Orange is ugly, but the lines' colours don't really show up anywhere in large quantities. It's not like we paint our trains like Boston does.

Last edited:
Dark colours like brown wouldn't get used because of the black TTC background.

That leaves white and grey and pink. Then beyond that we'd have to use shades like aqua, sienna, olive, indigo, passion fruit, and stuff.

As for colouring the trains one feature that seems to apply well is when they make the handlebars and doors the colour of the line it's on and leave it at that. Had they made the H6 doors and it's seats green instead of orange it would have been akin to the H5s on the Yonge Line.

Also, why do you have two OneStop screens on the same pole? Isn't that redundant?

One screen will tell the train arrival time in one direction, and the other screen tells the arrival time in the opposite direction.

(Yes, I know that at Lawrence West station they use one screen for both directions, but that didn't pop into my head during the design process.)

Wyliepoon: these good concepts for stations are great. The platforms have tall ceilings and the effort to ensure natural light gets into the underground levels is important. I shudder when I think of the precedents for underground LRT station design in Toronto (the two original Harbourfront LRT stations). By treating these as essentially smaller subway stations, the Eglinton LRT seems a lot more legitimate as a metro line. Our stations should be more expressive in terms of interior finishes, like the Montreal Metro. There's so much to work with in terms of materials to make a stronger visual impact. Nonetheless, it's great to have some more visuals of how our LRT stations could look.

Orange is the only remaining primary or secondary colour that isn't currently in use by the TTC. Red is used for surface routes, as has been pointed out to you several times before. It's true that Orange is ugly, but the lines' colours don't really show up anywhere in large quantities. It's not like we paint our trains like Boston does.

And as I've said before many times, that's a really dumb reason to not use red.

And as I've said before many times, that's a really dumb reason to not use red.

Agreed. If you asked most people "what colour are the bus routes coloured on a system map?", 7/10 people wouldn't give you the right answer. Nobody cares that the buses would be the same colour as a subway line. It's not like people are going to be waiting at a bus stop thinking "OMG, why is it a bus? I thought it was a subway!"

Change the bus colour to brown or something, since no subway lines on a TTC map would be brown and then use red for a line.

Back