News   Mar 28, 2024
 27     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 209     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Draft Trail Strategy: Greater Toronto Area

I hope the $400 million fund announced by the federal government can fund most of these trails. I'm especially looking forward to eventually having a continuous trail from the West Don Trail (T15) to the Don River all the way from Dufferin/Steeles to the Martin Goodman Trail.

Not even close.

Toronto's share of that fund is under 10% on a per capita basis.

That wouldn't cover one phase of the new trail below the Bluffs.

Now, there are stretches, such as in Hydro Corridors that are relatively cheaper to do.

Valley trail costs vary widely depending on the number of water crossings, railway crossings etc, as well as the need to mitigate elevation changes.

If the money flows this year; it would likely support some of the projects already showing 'green' (in planning) above.

So, the Meadoway, Rail Path extensions, Beltline, work up in Brampton, and maybe, maybe some of the below the Bluffs Waterfront Trail, if it also gets City and possibly provincial support.

If its not in planning, you won't see it worked on physically in the next 2 years.

What the money might allow for is advancing planning on some additional trail.

Last edited:
@Northern Light there's a trail planned for the 407 corridor?

Yes.

I believe the intent is for it to run in the parallel hydro corridor.

What's the one on the map that looks like it roughly follows the 404? The lake to lake in York Region?

And this, I believe, the multi-use path on the west side of Leslie. Starts at Highway 7 in the south.....roughly.
1616020820904.png

You can see a bit of it freshly built in this aerial:

1616021058082.png

TRCA and City seem to work pretty well together. (Unlike City & Toronto Hydro (who are owned by City!)

*smiles*

There are stories.

It mostly goes ok..........but...........when it doesn't.....

Yes.

I believe the intent is for it to run in the parallel hydro corridor.

And this, I believe, the multi-use path on the west side of Leslie. Starts at Highway 7 in the south.....roughly.
View attachment 306361

You can see a bit of it freshly built in this aerial:

View attachment 306363
That trail actually continues from the end of the East Don Parkland Trail at Steeles to past Elgin Mills. The design of the trail leaves a lot to be desired though.

I'll use this thread as a spot to note some new trail works for 2022 in Vaughan.

A report was finalized in the fall on how to create a new bike trail from the Boyd Conservation lands all the way down to Steeles.
Actual construction will require an EA for some segments; but not for others. In the former group, the EAs have yet to be funded;
but in the latter, there are 2 construction ready and funded projects for 2022.

First a link to the report: https://pub-trca.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=8084

Second a look at what will be going ahead this year:

1642783869570.png

1642783886907.png

1642783907431.png

Now some maps, dashed line is proposed trail route:

1642783973938.png

1642784012398.png

Back