News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 

Downtown vs. Suburbs: Yes, It's An Ethnic Thing

Danielinthecity

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere...if so, mods, please move...if not, enjoy...

https://ethnicaisle.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/downtown-vs-suburbs-yes-its-an-ethnic-thing/

Downtown vs. Suburbs: Yes, It’s An Ethnic Thing
Sep 20

By Denise Balkissoon

When people talk about the Great Downtown/Suburb Divide, they are also talking about ethnicity.

Don’t agree? Educate yourself on the GTA’s demographics with this extremely handy page from the blog Pundit’s Guide, which cross references long-census data with federal political ridings.

Scarborough Rouge-River (where I grew up) has the highest non-white population in all of Canada. The GTA riding with the highest population of Chinese people is Scarborough-Agincourt. South Asians are most numerous in Brampton-Gore-Malton. Those who checked “Black†and “Latin American†on the census are most populous in York South-Weston, in central Etobicoke*, while Southeast Asians are abundant in York West, a bit north. The largest congregation of Filipinos is in Scarborough Centre, while Arabs prefer Mississauga-Erindale, and West Asians and Koreans represent Willowdale.

The only “visible minority†(ugh, hate that term) group counted by the Canadian census which has more members in downtown Toronto than in the ‘burbs are the Japanese. Toronto Centre is their most populous GTA riding—it’s 19 on the list, after 18 areas in British Columbia and Alberta.

The Suburbs vs. Downtown conversation is also about income, since it’s long been known that the outer 416 has a higher concentration of poverty than downtown. In this city at this time, class always has an ethnic angle.

After last fall’s municipal election, when downtowners stung by Rob Ford’s ascendance were circling their wagons, they seemed to take comfort by trashing the stereotypical suburbanite: a gas-guzzling art-hater laughing it up in a big backyard. Ford notwithstanding, that’s not necessarily who an outer 416 suburbanite is. But it’s definitely confusing that the people with the most to lose from service-cutting governments like that led by Rob Ford—poor people of colour—seem to have voted for him.

“The Fords misled people to thinking there was gravy,†says Avvy Go, a member of Colour of Poverty, a four-year-old campaign to educated Ontarians about the racialization of poverty in the province. Last fall, Colour of Poverty gave each mayoral candidate a grade on their “race report card,†noting the candidates’ history and their stances on transit, housing and employment equity. Rob Ford got an F.

“Yes, people in the suburbs voted for a government that would cut services that they need,†says Go, who recommends that we all read The Trouble With Billionaires. “Some politicians are very skilled in dumbing down, picking an overly simplistic portrayal of the problem.†When $60 equals a week of groceries for your family, cutting the vehicle registration tax seems like a good idea. Ford is to blame, and voters are to blame, but also to blame are the mayor’s losing opponents, who obviously did not do a very good job explaining their own platforms, or picking his apart. And really, there are downtowners that drive and suburbanites that always loathed Ford. More than anything, the Harris Tories divide-and-conquer amalgamation plan is still succeeding, over a decade later.

The role of ethnicity, income and the 416/905 divide is a hot topic among politicos. Suburban Dream-type suburbanites are living in the 905, and they, too, are largely non-white (white people who want a slice of backyard are apparently skipping over the 905 in favour of exurban paradises). The erosion of ironclad Liberal support among immigrant groups is making it easier for both the Conservatives and the Ontario PCs to live without winning votes in Toronto, and to win those 905 votes, they’re playing the race card without shame. Brampton has the highest income of all of the GTA cities, and politicians are falling over themselves kissing brown ass out there.

This week, we’re talking race, ethnicity, 416 and 905 on the Ethnic Aisle. I don’t know exactly what it means, but I know that it matters.

*Thanks to Rob Salerno and Dave Scrivener for the fact check here. York isn’t Etbicoke. I don’t consider it downtown…I guess we should discuss the role of “midtown†in all of this.

Or perhaps their values align more closely with Ford's than those of downtowners.

Why White Scenesters Hate the ‘Burbs

People get really uptight when you say something like this because they take it to mean “immigrants are satisfied with the not-as-good; they just don’t know any better.” But it’s something quite different: it’s that many immigrants choose to do something as wild and crazy as define what’s ‘good’ by their own desires and interests. If you’ve once lived in a developing nation, sterile can feel good. Uncluttered is good. Cars are good. Cultural difference does not simply mean we eat different food; it means we have different values.

Keep in mind also that people come from other parts of the world where their values are much more conservative, paternal, proper, etc.. than ours. The assumption has been that these people wanted to get away from controlling governments or dictatorships, but that doesn't mean they don't still have largely conservative values. The Liberals did a very good job of painting themselves as the party of multiculturalism and reaped votes as sort of thank-you's to the opportunity to be here, but those days are gone and they realize that all political parties support immigration. What some will always want a hand out, many just wanted a hand up. Once they have it, they start to think more with their wallets.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere...if so, mods, please move...if not, enjoy...

https://ethnicaisle.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/downtown-vs-suburbs-yes-its-an-ethnic-thing/

Downtown vs. Suburbs: Yes, It’s An Ethnic Thing

Just because the suburbs have a higher proportion of ethnic minorities and a higher proportion of Ford voters doesn't mean that ethnic minorities are more likely to vote for Ford. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_fallacy)

Pho?

I love how suburbanites often like to symbolize SOB's and/or urbanites with various foods/drinks...mostly of course it's latte...here's one I haven't heard...

"...as downtown scenesters badmouth the suburbs over bowls of Pho..."

I love how suburbanites often like to symbolize SOB's and/or urbanites with various foods/drinks...mostly of course it's latte...here's one I haven't heard...

haha that is amazing. Let me try one:

"as downtown scenesters lay on top of a Ferrarri badmouthing the suburbs over a burrito stuffed with sushi"

Woops...I mistakenly assumed this person was a suburbanite without having fully read the 'entire' article (posted by Anth, namely, "Why White Scenesters Hate the ‘Burbs").

I don't entirely disagree with 'some' of his/her? points, but my experience with many immigrants I've known - in both talking to them, their parents and their extended 'clan' is that much of the allure has much to do not so much with a 'known' idea of the suburban lifestyle (as the author points out that many didn't come from anything resembling suburbia and therefore never really 'lived' the lifestyle), but more as a romantic vision of the american dream as manifested in suburbia...

As for the suggestion that many of us dislike (or even hate) the suburbs mainly b/c of what I alluded to above - and what the author alludes to in saying that they represent, "...a symptom of dumbed-down, consumerist 21st century society", I'm not sure that's the main reason (at least for me). For me, the 'main' reason I dislike the suburbs IS the unsustainability of the suburban model, in particular as it pertains to mobility/transportation...of course I'm not crazy about the more social byproducts of 'excess' consumerism, etc, but for me it's mainly that it's just a pain to get anywhere and cars are expensive and they pollute my earth.

Pho probably wasn't the greatest choice to make either, considering Mississauga probably has more Pho restaurants than Tim's and Starbucks combined - probably close to 50 in total. There are tons in the NE and Scarborough too.

"as downtown scenesters lay on top of a Ferrarri badmouthing the suburbs over a burrito stuffed with sushi"
Also not a good one, since little old Woodbridge probably has more Ferraris than the rest of Toronto. I remember reading somewhere that it's the highest density outside of Maranello, Italy, which is brow raising when you think of places like Miami or LA.

Last edited:
I don't understand the ethnic angle to the second article. Does he think the the "white" hipsters downtown would feel differently about the suburbs if they were filled only with white people?

I don't think half the hipsters I see downtown are white, and the ones that aren't white would probably feel the same way about the suburbs as the rest. There's still a lot of white people in suburbia, too. This is all divisive crap trying to dig out racism wherever it could be perceived. I feel like i'm in the mid-90s.

I don't understand the ethnic angle to the second article. Does he think the the "white" hipsters downtown would feel differently about the suburbs if they were filled only with white people?

I don't think half the hipsters I see downtown are white, and the ones that aren't white would probably feel the same way about the suburbs as the rest. There's still a lot of white people in suburbia, too. This is all divisive crap trying to dig out racism wherever it could be perceived. I feel like i'm in the mid-90s.

agreed. We lived in Oakville and Burlington and I thought that these burbs were "whiter" than Downtown, which is true, according to StatCan: 81.2% and 91.04% accordingly.

"White" is a bit of a red herring even though it makes for a provocative title.

The author's point is that contrary to stereotypes of suburbia imported from US media, Toronto's suburbs are complex, vibrant places predominantly made up of immigrants and their children whose ideals and values simply differ from those promoted by mainstream Canadian culture.

This includes Continental Europeans, who tend to be lumped in as "white" despite significant cultural differences.

The divide has nothing to do with ethnicity, and a lot to do with culture, education, and our perception of other people.

The problem with the conservative backwards immigrant communities that plague this city isn't the fact that they're 'immigrant', but rather the fact that they are conservative and backwards. Problem is if one shows the amount of disapproval that is usually tolerated towards their white equivalents then one gets branded as a racist and the conversation is over.

If the author is trying to say that white or canadian born = liberal and that immigrant and people of colour = conservative then someone please explain to me CALGARY?
cause Calgary is pretty white and canadian born for a city that size, and its home base for conservative Canada, not to mention the very white and canadian born areas of the east coast which can have quite a few conservatives as well.

Back