Gerrard
Adelaide
Shuter
Wellington
Richmond
Charles
Carlaw

and I will add another;

Lower Sherbourne as it goes under the USRC.

also, anyone else think that they replaced more sidewalks this summer than they usually do? they were replacing another one at Yonge & Gerrard today.

Lower Sherbourne (King to Queen's Quay) will be completely rebuilt in summer 2014. This year the City installed a new sewer, GO are supposed to repair the bridge soon and next year the City and the BIA have plans to bury most of the wires, install decent lighting, extend the Sherbourne bike tracks to Queen's Quay and do landscaping. The exit from the Gardiner will be improved and the dangerous right-turn channel at Lake Shore will be removed. See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.TE26.59 (This report is coming to Council in October for approval.)

Count me in for Adelaide. Had the misfortune of riding my bike along Adelaide from Bathurst to Bay. Felt like I was riding off-track.

As far as streetscape and design, I find Bay between King & Queen to very disappointing. It goes right through the heart of the Financial District but it doesn't have the nice sidewalks and street poles of King Street between University and Yonge.

Count me in for Adelaide. Had the misfortune of riding my bike along Adelaide from Bathurst to Bay. Felt like I was riding off-track.

As far as streetscape and design, I find Bay between King & Queen to very disappointing. It goes right through the heart of the Financial District but it doesn't have the nice sidewalks and street poles of King Street between University and Yonge.

Based on the number of pedestrians using Bay, it should be either a single lane road with wider sidewalk or a transit mall with wider sidewalk all the way to Front St. The Bay bus is always caught up in traffic in this area going south and going to a single lane would be worse.

I have being call for over a decade in closing Bay to traffic between Queen and Front.

All of Bay is disappointing. The whole stretch needs to be revitalized

Look at Gould Street from Yonge to Church and Victoria Street from Gould to Dundas. They are painted gold and blue, the colours of Ryerson University. Yes, the asphalt is painted.

It would be interesting to have streets painted black to hide some unsightly cuts as temporary measure before the streets are properly repaved.

Last edited:
Based on the number of pedestrians using Bay, it should be either a single lane road with wider sidewalk or a transit mall with wider sidewalk all the way to Front St. The Bay bus is always caught up in traffic in this area going south and going to a single lane would be worse.

I have being call for over a decade in closing Bay to traffic between Queen and Front.

It would be pretty desolate at night if there were no traffic. There's very little retail or anything to keep people on the street. I think it would feel less safe.

It would be pretty desolate at night if there were no traffic. There's very little retail or anything to keep people on the street. I think it would feel less safe.

There not much traffic there at night also.

I never had an issues walking streets in the core area or other parts of the city late at night. Have said that, there are a few spots you need to look over your should when walking in those areas.

You could do what some city do in Europe. They close the road during the day and open it at night. They used various items to close the street off with most using bollard that rise or lower on a time cycle.

+1 on widening the sidewalks and closing Bay to traffic south of Queen. Except that were I dictator of Toronto I'd extend that closure south to Queen's Quay, and run an LRT line from Queen's Quay north to somewhere around the Dupont subway station, probably closing the streetcar tunnel that runs south from Union. Pedestrian traffic on Bay at peak times is far too heavy for the sidewalk width.

+1 on widening the sidewalks and closing Bay to traffic south of Queen. Except that were I dictator of Toronto I'd extend that closure south to Queen's Quay, and run an LRT line from Queen's Quay north to somewhere around the Dupont subway station, probably closing the streetcar tunnel that runs south from Union. Pedestrian traffic on Bay at peak times is far too heavy for the sidewalk width.
I have recommended since 2008 that Bay be close from Queen to QQ to run LRT on the surface and do away with the tunnel since the loop will never handle the ridership down the road.

What TTC wants to build there is only good for today service.

You can run service all the way to Bloor to provide a relief line for the Yonge line. To do this, TTC will need duel end cars for this line as well the QQ lines.

GO buses will still use the northbound lane.

If the Gardiner stays, one lane of traffic northbound to the on ramp only and no left hand turn at the Lake Shore. If not, no traffic on Bay.

Simcoe!

Specifically the part from about Adelaide down to Front. Frost heaves and dozens upon dozens of utility cuts mean there's no way of escaping bumps and craters.

At one point around Wellington there's a really long utility cut that looks like it might be a smooth stretch to bike on, but no, it undulates wildly before gaining some random blobs of asphalt.

Dundas between Denison and Bathurst, in the westbound lane, is an absolute nightmare to bike on. The pavement is so lumpy that I have to bike in the middle of the lane. There is little commercial activity on that stretch and no stop lights, so cars tend to zoom by at high speeds when they overtake me. It's best to simply avoid it.

Dundas between Denison and Bathurst, in the westbound lane, is an absolute nightmare to bike on. The pavement is so lumpy that I have to bike in the middle of the lane. There is little commercial activity on that stretch and no stop lights, so cars tend to zoom by at high speeds when they overtake me. It's best to simply avoid it.

They rebuilt and repaved that road less than 5 years ago. Another 15 years before they repave it again.

Back