News   Apr 23, 2024
 293     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 881     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 490     0 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

Ooooh, I'm sooo stoked to go there Friday evening. That's my old man lame Friday evening these days and I'm so going to spend at least two hours in that place.

I'm going to eat, drink, forget why I'm there and then buy food so I can do it all again at home. I hope they sell Gerolsteiner or it's all for naught.

Look at that, poke and wine. <3

Looks like they can easily steal my business from Metro. I don't even know how Metro are going to try to compete with this. Air Miles ain't doing it anymore. Metro do sell Gerolsteiner though (when they have it, which is getting rare...are shipments from Germany drying out or is the buyer at Metro pissing about?).

Pffffft, unimpressed.

Longo's Liberty Review by SunriseChampion (unchampion version):

Stopped by on my way home after a long day in the employment, banking, and personal grooming sectors. Pulled up at half 9...so, about 13 hours after leaving my manor this morning.
So, you know it was going to go well as I was bleary-eyed and in no mood to peruse the aisles.

First of all, the car park is 9/10...but that has nothing to do with Longo's so it doesn't count against their total. Nice one, landlord!

Ok, so the produce section looked decent, but I got all my veggies two days ago so I skipped that. The selection of nuts was weak. 5/10
The dairy section I liked because everything is behind glass which is more efficient use of energy for cooling. The kefir game was weak though. 3/10
The fish section.....weak 5/10
The olive oil selection stood out though! 8/10 Not sure I need most of their fancy expensive olive oils as I use way too much of it on my salads and fish and am fine with a mid-grade one.
Tea selection was pooooor, wow 4/10...with a bonus 1 point because they have Yorkshire and Yorkshire Gold from Taylors of Harrogate. They would have gotten another point if they carried the same in loose leaf!
The household goods section was schizoid....they had all natural dish soap and body washes/shampoos but no all-natural toothpaste or household cleaners. 5/10
The cheese selection was ok.....they had some interesting items I haven't seen elsewhere....fine, 6/10.
Hot sauce selection....2/10
Mineral water selection 2/10
By this point, my dream had already been shattered so I kind of left.

Total for groceries only: 6/10 (It's no Parkdale No Frills, I'll give it that)

The grocery shopping trip was a flop. The place is rather small and they used a lot of space for their ready-made foods section which I skipped because I wanted to get my arse home and showered and fully kitted out in my housecoat.
It's just another supermarket that leaves me needing to go to three others to get everything I want.
I think it'll be a good place to drop by for a quick meal though. Although, it's a bit far for me for that, unless I'm in the area or passing through but I usually take the train from downtown so that's not even a thing either. It'd be great if I lived in the building above it!

Looks like Metro haven't lost me after all. I think I'll go to this Longo's when I'm in need of a ready-made meal on the way home from work (the odd Friday) or when they have at least 5 items on special in the weekly flyer.

No Gerolsteiner, no SunriseChampion. Good day!

Last edited:
Pffffft, unimpressed.

Longo's Liberty Review by SunriseChampion (unchampion version):

Stopped by on my way home after a long day in the employment, banking, and personal grooming sectors. Pulled up at half 9...so, about 13 hours after leaving my manor this morning.
So, you know it was going to go well as I was bleary-eyed and in no mood to peruse the aisles.

First of all, the car park is 9/10...but that has nothing to do with Longo's so it doesn't count against their total. Nice one, landlord!

Ok, so the produce section looked decent, but I got all my veggies two days ago so I skipped that. The selection of nuts was weak. 5/10
The dairy section I liked because everything is behind glass which is more efficient use of energy for cooling. The kefir game was weak though. 3/10
The fish section.....weak 5/10
The olive oil selection stood out though! 8/10 Not sure I need most of their fancy expensive olive oils as I use way too much of it on my salads and fish and am fine with a mid-grade one.
Tea selection was pooooor, wow 4/10...with a bonus 1 point because they have Yorkshire and Yorkshire Gold from Taylors of Harrogate. They would have gotten another point if they carried the same in loose leaf!
The household goods section was schizoid....they had all natural dish soap and body washes/shampoos but no all-natural toothpaste of household cleaners. 5/10
The cheese selection was ok.....they had some interesting items I haven't seen elsewhere....fine, 6/10.
Hot sauce selection....2/10
Mineral water selection 2/10
By this point, my dream had already been shattered so I kind of left.

The grocery shopping trip was a flop. The place is rather small and they used a lot of space for their ready-made foods section which I skipped because I wanted to get my arse home and showered and fully kitted out in my housecoat.
It's just another supermarket that leaves me needing to go to three others to get everything I want.
I think it'll be a good place to drop by for a quick meal though. Although, it's a bit far for me for that, unless I'm in the area or passing through but I usually take the train from downtown so that's not even a thing either. It'd be great if I lived in the building above it!

Looks like Metro haven't lost me after all. I think I'll go to this Longo's when I'm in need of a ready-made meal on the way home from work (the odd Friday) or when they have at least 5 items on special in the weekly flyer.

No Gerolsteiner, no SunriseChampion. Good day!

Metro will be glad to know they didn't lose you; that last reno in Liberty cost them a wee bit............I'm quite sure I'm safe in saying it was in the millions.

Too bad they didn't refine the product mix more........but they're working on it. Sorta..........

Metro will be glad to know they didn't lose you; that last reno in Liberty cost them a wee bit............I'm quite sure I'm safe in saying it was in the millions.
That's renovated?! hahaha...ooooh man ?

Too bad they didn't refine the product mix more........but they're working on it. Sorta..........

Hey man, they have Gerolsteiner, tell me where the fish they sell is from and how it was "produced", and sell a dope little salmon (and boring tuna) pate from Slovenia so they have my vote as far as that's concerned.
Their baguettes are bunk though.

I'm telling you, I can't find everything I like in one place. Maybe Eataly?

That's renovated?! hahaha...ooooh man ?

Hey man, they have Gerolsteiner, tell me where the fish they sell is from and how it was "produced", and sell a dope little salmon (and boring tuna) pate from Slovenia so they have my vote as far as that's concerned.
Their baguettes are bunk though.

I'm telling you, I can't find everything I like in one place. Maybe Eataly?

I have no influence w/their seafood people........sadly.

For seafood, I like the people @ Hooked

As to Metro; if going for bread, they do have one I think they hit the mark on; it's their Calabrese. I was surprised with what they achieved with it.

Sometimes the store people bake it at the wrong temp and the crust isn't as nice; but overall it's a very good bread, exceptional by chain standards. They make a mini-one (which is great for single folk @$2.49 per loaf)

For Baguettes, it's all about the ones from Mon K Patisserie on Coxwell........at only $3 each I consider them a steal.

Ok, I went back today in a much improved state of energy and observed much of the same. Walked through a part of the ready-made food section and grabbed an espresso at the coffee tuk tuk.

So, Jacked Up Coffee's espresso was pretty weak. It was like Starbucks-ish. 5/10
The salad bar looked pretty impressive though. Salmon in it, innit. The presence of salmon automatically garners bonus points in the Sunrise Realm so a definite 8/10 there.
Didn't check out the rest. Going to save that for some other time. Probably go with a friend, get glasses of wine and wander around like the maniacs we are.
Speaking of which, I ran into people walking around, doing their shopping, whilst sipping on wine which made me feel just a bit more civilised. 8/10 for drug dependency Euro vibes.
I went in to grab some meats and cheeses and mustard to add to the sausages and smoked fish I'll be feeding my friends tonight.
That being the case, I regret to report that the mustard game is mad weak 3/10.

This place continues to sumultaneously surprise, delight, confound, and frustrate.
Which I reckon gives it a certain sort of character. Staying at 6/10, though if they regularly show football* on the tellies in the dine-in area, I'm automatically giving the whole place a 9/10 for becoming an emergency viewing location when the pubs all fill up.

*--If you're not crystal on what I mean here then this review and anything I might have to say is not for you. ?

Article with completed interior and exterior photos of the new Summerhill Market on Bathurst.

Also, the plans for their 4th location in the city is currently underway:

Spring 2020 is set to welcome Summerhill Market’s fourth location in Toronto’s Forest Hill neighbourhood. The store will be located at 484 Eglinton Avenue West and is currently under construction. McMullen said that the store will span nearly 7,500 square feet over two levels connected by an elevator. While its design is still in the planning phase, it will likely include more customer service enmities and a larger grocery offering for shoppers, along with the prepared options traditionally associated with the Market.

From this Daily Hive article, we now have confirmation of 5 new City of Toronto FarmBoy locations and the year they will open, as well as their square footage.

1575989667203.png

Of note for what is and is not there.

College Park (I'm assuming, but don't know that this is a takeover of the Sobeys Urban Fresh space as it's only 12,000 sq ft, it's a tiny format.

Yonge/Soudan was slated to be a Sobeys, that's the Art Shoppe Condos.

Front + Bathurst much discussed is 34,000 sq ft; for FB this is a huge location.

Dupont/Christie we knew was coming; but first I've heard of Dundas/Aukland

Finally, no sign of the prospective Metro Hall location which implies it may be as far off as 2022???

From this Daily Hive article, we now have confirmation of 5 new City of Toronto FarmBoy locations and the year they will open, as well as their square footage.

View attachment 219395

Of note for what is and is not there.

College Park (I'm assuming, but don't know that this is a takeover of the Sobeys Urban Fresh space as it's only 12,000 sq ft, it's a tiny format.

Yonge/Soudan was slated to be a Sobeys, that's the Art Shoppe Condos.

Front + Bathurst much discussed is 34,000 sq ft; for FB this is a huge location.

Dupont/Christie we knew was coming; but first I've heard of Dundas/Aukland

Finally, no sign of the prospective Metro Hall location which implies it may be as far off as 2022???
Walk through Metro Hall PATH everyday. The place is in need of revitalization. More than half the storefronts are boarded up and apart from the Rexall and food court all the open stores seem pretty quiet.

It almost looks like they’re preparing for construction. Too bad about the Farm Boy though, this area really needs a grocery store, the Citymarket on Peter doesn’t cut it.

I believe that Sobeys has the condo at Peter and Adelaide that is currently just starting construction locked in for a space. Perhaps they have converted that to a Farm Boy? It's still 3-4 years off however.

Farm Boy at the old Amsterdam Brewery eh? I'm down. Now I'll be cheating on Loblaws Queens Quay, Liberty Metro and Liberty Longos.

It's still going to end up me having to go to all four to get everything I like and need.....lies....side trip to Starski in Mississauga.

Can't win trying to feed yourself in this town.

Back