News   Apr 25, 2024
 88     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Downtown congestion pricing system

It is being reported in a number of places that NY City has just past a major hurdle in implementing a congestion plan for vehicles for NY City. The city wishes to charge a daily variable toll for vehicles entering the CBA with a reported fee of up to $23 per entry.

I think this is good news in general. And if NY takes it up, others will follow, and perhaps, just perhaps, Toronto would as well. I would applaud any such move directed at ALL private vehicles, regardless of point of origin. Add in taxation on parking, reduction of on street parking that parallels bike lanes (it just does not work and the economic impacts are minimal), add transit priority in all situations, and direct all those funds to transit in general, and I think we have the makings of a real change within the city.

And if anyone is interested, or it matters, I am a car owner, and a transit user.

Apparently NJ is putting up quite a fight on this.

At any rate, my understanding is that the congestion pricing will only impact Midtown Manhattan downwards. It will be ‘interesting’ (read, crappy) to see the impact on the BQE all the way out to Staten Island. At any rate, congestion pricing is something I support - as are road tolls (and yes, I drive as well.)

Back