News   Apr 26, 2024
 692     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 242     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 723     0 

Greenbelt developments

Why not, he couldn't even get himself to refrain from hyperbole for a certain project he ranted about:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/humbertown-plaza-revamp-opposed-by-doug-ford-1.1292427

So, instead of intensifying where it is appropriate, he want to prematurely open up the Greenbelt behind closed doors for more of the same?

AoD

Looks like he pulled back this morning after the backlash.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4181058/scott-thompson-doug-ford-greenbelt/

Last edited:
We learned this week...

Apparently, the Toronto Star has a new editorial board all of the members of which moved to Toronto from Antartica just last week.

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 10.46.43 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 10.46.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 10.46.43 AM.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 983
We learned this week...

Apparently, the Toronto Star has a new editorial board all of the members of which moved to Toronto from Antartica just last week.

View attachment 142085
Oh my aching kidneys. I think it was this string a few days back, that a poster wrote: (gist) "And this news just in: water is wet".

I think it's entirely possible that Ford isn't the slimy, duplicitous, hypocrite and shyster he appears to be. He's just freakin' stupid. In the real sense of the word. He's just not a very bright guy.

And he attracts the like-minded, of which there appears to be quite a few.

I'll repeat a thought I posted a few months back: Ontarians, because they're not happy with the state of the roads, (euphemistically speaking), elect a new bus driver for their kid's school, one that can't drive, has a criminal background, is at least a few wheels short of balance, and has never done the job before....all to spite the school principal, Wynne.

I project that every time Ford opens his mouth, more shit comes out. But there's that 'water is wet' simile again....but I project Ontarians will finally get the message that they don't have to vote for Wynne, and they have choices other than suicide. Horwath, although not my choice by any means, is vastly preferable to Ford. Even Rasputin would be.

It'll be close though. Awareness as to consequence of actions is in short supply of late.

Cross-post from the general Ontario Election Thread. As the Liberal counter-narrative is surely germane to this thread.

On the heels of the Ford/Greenbelt Fiasco; Wynne announces that if re-elected the Liberals will expand the Greenbelt to cover the Orangeville, Oro, Waterloo and Paris/Galt Moraines as well as sensitive lands along the Nottawasaga River.

http://theprovince.com/pmn/news-pmn...ring/wcm/652284dc-0472-4898-99c2-f312a64c39f1

Cross-post from the general Ontario Election Thread. As the Liberal counter-narrative is surely germane to this thread.

On the heels of the Ford/Greenbelt Fiasco; Wynne announces that if re-elected the Liberals will expand the Greenbelt to cover the Orangeville, Oro, Waterloo and Paris/Galt Moraines as well as sensitive lands along the Nottawasaga River.

http://theprovince.com/pmn/news-pmn...ring/wcm/652284dc-0472-4898-99c2-f312a64c39f1
Speaking of 'fertilizer' coming out of Ford's mouth. The Libs are in an excellent position of playing him for all he's worth. Which is fertilizer, and not much more. Looks like fresh growth is coming from it.

Was this one of those idiotic things said in a back room that was caught on cell phone?
How soon before the Liberals backtrack on such a stupid idea?
Could it be that this actually appeals in downtown Toronto?

Was this one of those idiotic things said in a back room that was caught on cell phone?
Don't know which event you're referring to, but all reference for most posters on this is not only corroborated with links and first person reports, if not news stories, Wynne's and Ford's comments are actually available on video, and have been linked in this and other strings at this site.

This is what's so 'curious' about Ford's defenders. It's all hearsay that they trade in. The man is an idiot, and that's not hearsay, that's him appearing in vids in the public domain.

But different blokes for different strokes I guess...And btw: Northern's posted link is from Post Media. Fire away all you like, you're shooting your own feet off...

Here you go:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4181655/kathleen-wynne-liberals-greenbelt-expansion/

Imagine that! First hit up on Google. Amazing what goes on in "backrooms"...

Liberals pledge to expand Greenbelt if elected. Would protect Waterloo and Paris/Galt moraine complex, the Orangeville moraine, the Oro moraine, and the Nottawasaga River corridor.

DcMZFCKW0AANRd3.jpg

https://twitter.com/DavidHains/status/991663929435852801

I do question the oft times claimed "Largest in the World"...but hey...

Last edited:

Actually no, by press conference, in full view of the press. I wonder if there are any emails on the DoFo/developers to be deleted. There, I said it for you.

AoD

Last edited:

Why exactly is protecting the source of fresh water for more than 1.5 million Ontarians a bad idea?

You are aware that the water which supplies residents of K-W and surrounding areas comes from either groundwater supplies or the Grand or Eramosa Rivers, which are all recharged
by the moraines in question, right?

That if those moraines should be made more than 1/2 impermeable, as sprawl would surely do, that the region would literally run out drinking water.

I'm going to assume you didn't know that, or would not have said something so lacking in common sense.

Perhaps you should refrain from commenting on things you clearly know nothing about, and aren't willing to take the time to research either.

Last edited:
You are aware that the water which supplies residents of K-W and surrounding areas comes from either groundwater supplies or the Grand or Eramosa Rivers, which are all recharged
I'm of course preaching to the converted, but we were already, or still are, on the precipice of irreversible damage. Had BurlOak researched the issue, one of the still allowed offenders of the Act (although they are exempted) is the former Ontario Hydro. Now *THAT* would be a legitimate issue with the Libs, albeit the Cons would've done same, but the point is, it is on the Lib watch, and their responsibility to face up to it. I'll post a link to the exact details later. It is a transformer station being built right on the crest of the Moraine.
(edit: https://www.groundwatercanada.com/news/wells-in-protected-ontarios-oak-ridges-moraine-polluted-2999 )

Guelph immediately came to mind, I lived there for five years, and became very sensitized to their issues, and water aquifers are one huge one. In my opinion, the Nestle's case is a bit overwrought, but the gist is correct. As that pertains to this string, Wynne scored a winning hit on this issue. A big one!

Of course, the moron doing the pitching handed it right to her.

Keep it up Dougie! What a 'swell' guy...every team needs a mascot, but sometimes you have to neuter them. The Cons must be considering exactly that at this point. Maybe 'anti-sex-ed' lady would love to do it? (Elliot and Mulroney roll eyes and wretch, all the time planning the revolution to take their Party back)

Why exactly is protecting the source of fresh water for more than 1.5 million Ontarians a bad idea?

That if those moraines should be made more than 1/2 impermeable, as sprawl would surely do, that the region would literally run out drinking water.

I'm going to assume you didn't know that, or would not have said something so lacking in common sense.

Perhaps you should refrain from commenting on things you clearly know nothing about, and aren't willing to take the time to research either.
For the Liberals - everyone has completely tuned them out. The question always comes on why they didn't do this before, and then the conclusion is that it's just an election promise. And the Liberals have a terrible record of keeping promises.
To many people in the greenbelt, the Act means that a farmer with a 100 acres can't sever off a couple of acres for themselves and see the rest to another farmer to fund their retirement.

Why is it a stupid idea?

I live on the lake in Mimico. Looking over Lakeshore Boulevard, to be exact. Right now, out my window, I see enough space to easily house another 1000 people. That's on my little block of Lakeshore in Toronto.....for example. There are a lot more examples like this. Hundreds more. In Toronto alone. Quick ridiculous estimation maths: 1000 times hundreds equals a lot of people. A lot of people where services already exist. A lot of people on previously paved land. Stupid is not building here. Stupid is paving over some of the best farm land in the world. It's inefficient.
That Ford guy keeps talking about efficiencies. I don't think he knows a thing about efficiency. One need only look at what he drives for an example of that.

I don't think I'd even get into the fresh water angle. That sort of speaks for itself, no?

For the Liberals - everyone has completely tuned them out.
You're ranting. You tune out facts and reference, then extrapolate that to a political bias.

To many people in the greenbelt, the Act means that a farmer with a 100 acres can't sever off a couple of acres for themselves and see the rest to another farmer to fund their retirement.
I'm sorry?
I've spent the last ten minutes looking for reference under the Act, or any news stories that might buttress your claim, and can find none, save that *land use* comes under *zoning*. And water is wet.

How is the severance application evaluated? In considering each application for land severance, the consent-granting authority evaluates the merits of each proposal against criteria such as:

• conformity with the official plan and compatibility with adjacent uses of land

• compliance with local zoning by-laws

• suitability of the land for the proposed purpose, including the size and shape of the lot(s) being created

• adequacy of vehicular access, water supply, sewage disposal

• the need to ensure protection from potential flooding. In considering a consent application, the consent-granting authority’s decision shall be consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement.
CITIZENS’ GUIDE LAND SEVERANCES
http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/AssetFactory.aspx?did=11166

As to the authority to grant severance, it's mostly municipal, sometimes regional, and the appeal process, beyond the municipal appeal, is provincial:
Where do I go for a land severance? The approval of severances can rest with one of a number of different governing bodies. Depending on the area, the granting of consents may be carried out by an upper-tier or single-tier municipal council. An upper-tier may then delegate the function to a committee of council or an appointed officer. Alternatively, it may delegate the authority to a lower-tier municipality, a land division committee or to a municipal planning authority. A single or lower-tier municipality may also use a by-law to delegate its approval functions to a committee of council, an appointed officer or to a committee of adjustment. In northern Ontario, where planning approval has not been assigned or delegated to a municipality or planning board, the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing grants consents (See Northern Ontario, No. 7 in the series.) To determine the consent-granting authority in your area, contact either your municipal clerk, the secretary-treasurer of the planning board or the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
-: url above

Last edited:

Back