News   May 03, 2024
 996     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 605     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 291     0 

Don mills--then and now

Brewster: This is a quite interesting set of before and after pictures...the before being the late 50s/early 60s era...

Just the foliage changes alone makes things look better compared to earlier days...

I especially like the two "comparison" pictures of the attractive lady in black and white
outside the supermarket-I can't help notice her legs and that interesting loaf of bread...

...and the bearded young man in the yellow shirt and shorts outside his car in the 70s-that looks to be a Triumph TR6 I believe?

LI MIKE

Thanks Long Island Mike..I think it was opening day for the Grand Union 1958 at the Parkway Plaza for the pretty lady. It was a TR 7 and the guy with the Aerosmith T-Shirt and the skin tight denim cut-offs was your's truly 1977 I think.

I saw a photo recently at the city archives of Don Mills, sometime in the early 1960s, which featured a big sign telling people there was a wooden bridge ahead with a weight restriction. I'm assuming this is the bridge over the railroad tracks on the west side of the Don, but I just wasn't able to match up the view with anything facing east on Lawrence. Anybody remember that sign and where it was?

If you're not able to match anything up, keep in mind that Lawrence was completely realigned in the process. (Roanoke Road follows the ultimate old east-of-the-Don alignment.)

I saw a photo recently at the city archives of Don Mills, sometime in the early 1960s, which featured a big sign telling people there was a wooden bridge ahead with a weight restriction. I'm assuming this is the bridge over the railroad tracks on the west side of the Don, but I just wasn't able to match up the view with anything facing east on Lawrence. Anybody remember that sign and where it was?

Is this the area you're referring to?

TN_Lawrence_thru_Don_Mills.jpg

Yes, Goldie, that's the bridge in question, but I've got tons of photos along the lines of these ones. I'm trying to get a bead on where the sign itself was in Don Mills. I don't have the photo handy and it's a pretty crappy copy; my instinct is that it must have stood on the southeast corner of Lawrence and Don Mills, but nothing in the background seems to match up, and not THAT much has changed on Lawrence between Don Mills and the DVP since then. It's so disorienting I'm even wondering if the sign wasn't on the Victoria Park side of things...

One thing I have looked for, and not found, is a map showing old Woodbine Ave and how far south it went before the DVP was in. I know there are many here with better search kung fu than I :)

One thing I have looked for, and not found, is a map showing old Woodbine Ave and how far south it went before the DVP was in. I know there are many here with better search kung fu than I :)

Hey, I can tell you that. Check out this place right here. In aerial shots from just before they started the Eglinton-Sheppard phase of the DVP, this was the LAST place on Woodbine. Its driveway was where Woodbine ended. You could say Woodbine south of York Mills WAS their driveway. When I saw the photo, I thought, wow, how sad; that place much be long gone... but then in the early 70s plates, I realized it was still there! Now it's just one house surrounded by hundreds of others. But to answer your question, that's where Woodbine ended north of the Don back then.

You can also see where Woodbine ended on the 1947 Aerial photos on the Toronto Archives website - photo 14b.

I remember being able to see that house from the DVP before they put the noise barriers up.

Woodbine ran north from York Mills.
Of course, it also runs south from O'connor Dr. to the lake.

Here's an old photo that was taken near York Mills & Don Mills:

Don River to the west of Graydon Hall apartments (under construction)
DonValleyaboveYorkMills.jpg

Thanks Long Island Mike..I think it was opening day for the Grand Union 1958 at the Parkway Plaza for the pretty lady. It was a TR 7 and the guy with the Aerosmith T-Shirt and the skin tight denim cut-offs was your's truly 1977 I think.

Brewster: So-that WAS you in that pic with the Triumph TR7...I remember that the TR6 and TR7s were similar...
Do you still own that car? Now that's a neat late 70s classic car...LI MIKE

You can also see where Woodbine ended on the 1947 Aerial photos on the Toronto Archives website - photo 14b.

I remember being able to see that house from the DVP before they put the noise barriers up.
I cannot find that photo.

Brewster: So-that WAS you in that pic with the Triumph TR7...I remember that the TR6 and TR7s were similar...
Do you still own that car? Now that's a neat late 70s classic car...LI MIKE

I wish L.I.M. , no way I had money for that kind of a car at the time. Being the rebel I was , I just sat on the car and pretended it was mine. Not really sure what kind of Triumph it was. Love all the other boats in the background also.

Back