News   Oct 03, 2024
 12     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 3.3K     1 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 614     0 

Does Anyone Torrent Music?

It depends on the music. I don't see the need to support already rich retired artists or those who are dead or retired. Some put out one good record and a lot trash, while others are musicians who make entertaining but kitschy music and barely deserve the title "artist". And maybe some will use the service to sample, or to find music which is unavailable locally.

Artists can also be supported by concert attendance. So I don't support the shallow recording industry line of "stay away from sharing, you're not supporting artists."

^^Seconded. I LimeWire half, and the rest I buy CDs. bying online seems stupid to me. If I paid for something, I want to have it in my hand! =P

or, you know, you could buy your music and support artists...

Support the artist by buying concert tickets!!! i just spent 900 bucks on 3 Leonard Cohen tickets plus another $200 on Neil Young. So don't tell me to go out and buy my music becuase the artists need money bla bla bla.

Artists make 98% of their money concerts, artist only see a couple of cents from every record.

Don't forget ticketmaster. They'd like your money from concerts, as well.

Torrent sites usually frown very badly on public inviting like this.

From the what.cd rules:

Trading, selling or offering invites in public is strictly prohibited, and will get you permanently banned.

I tend to listen mostly to Canadian independent stuff where the money is helping and I gladly go out to shows as well. I guess I assume that no one actually listens to the Nicklebacks and Rihannas of the world, so the only groups that are being downloaded are ones that would probably benefit (even slightly) from you actually purchasing the cd. Not to mention, you keep amazing stores like Soundscapes in business by going out and buying albums. It's not like it's just about the band but there are other businesses that are affected as well.

I understand how the music industry works. Touring is the real gold mine (If you want to call it that... I personally don't see how a band like Los Campesinos makes much money from $15 tickets and 7 members in the band), but having talked to musicians there is some residual benefits for the band if you actually buy the album instead of download it. It could mean the difference between whether a band stays or gets dropped by a label.

I can proudly say I have never downloaded an album, and next week we're making an Ikea run because we've run out of shelf space for our cd's.

When comes to independent artists most of them encourage downloading they don't care how their music get's out there. I spend the 15 bucks go see them in concert and i aways buy a cd. I would much rather have a cds over download albums but these days record stores are few and far between, places like HMV and Best Buy, Wal Mart only carry the mainstream music.
The younger generation don't buy cds why buy cds when you can down load over 60,000 mp3s and store them on a tiny ipod. How times have changed i still remember going to sam's to buy records and cassette tapes :eek:

an audiophile's dream (MP3, FLAC, ALAC...you name it)

Not to burst your bubble (ok, maybe to burst your bubble), audiophiles don't deal in lossy digital formats (such as MP3s) or even CD quality lossless digital audio (44.1 kHz/16 bit such as FLAC/WAV/AIFF/etc). The few who do dabble in the digital realm use 96 kHz/48 bit exclusively.

Support the artist by buying concert tickets!!! i just spent 900 bucks on 3 Leonard Cohen tickets plus another $200 on Neil Young. So don't tell me to go out and buy my music becuase the artists need money bla bla bla.

bingo.

thanks for the PM's, enjoy (those who got an invite).

and yes, PLEASE do go see the artist if you like what you hear on their record - they appreciate it. even better, go to a music festival (Bonnaroo!)

Back