News   Apr 18, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Does 8 vs 9 feet really matter?

Beware of ductwork in non-principal rooms bringing the height back down to 8 feet (in many condos).

Or from 8 foot to 7 foot (in many condos).

That's the main reason I went 9' ceilings, so the bathroom wouldn't feel cramped with a 7' ceiling.

While 8 feet is still a standard, having higher ceilings than that means using more material and hence a higher price. 12 feet is a nice number, since half a sheet of drywall can be used to extend a regular sheet. A 9 foot ceiling means they have to get that extra foot from a spare sheet, and they hope they are able to use that sheet 8 times.

Hmm.. You can buy 9' drywall in bulk, just not from your typical home building centre.

There is a good chance that when you are finishing 100+ units with 9' ceilings that the 9' drywall is the same price or lower (factor in installation) than 8' boards.

Would be very surprised if 4' by 8' stock was used on rooms with 9' ceilings.

A little research also turns up 54" wide board. Stack two horizontally and you have 9'

Last edited:
I agree that if there's a choice ... definitely choose 9' ceilings ... it certainly adds a great sense of space to the unit ... but I wouldn't say 9' is REQUIRED

unfortunately @ Solaris only 8' ceiling was available and I had no choice :(

There's no comparison. 9' is so much more spacious feeling. Most people thought my little 630 ft place was closer to 750 and it was due to the ceiling height.

You can get drywall in standard sizes up to 16' in length.

On ceiling height 9' really makes a difference. That said 8' is totally acceptable. The only negative about ceiling height is that it can sometimes make a difference with respect to heating costs and temperature variability in a room.

Agree with all. Ceiling height makes a big difference. I used to live in a unit with 8ft ceilings and now am lucky to live in a unit with 10 foot ceilings. That two feet definately makes a HUGE difference and lends a spacious and airy feel to the space. Almost everyone who visits me for the first time comments on the ceiling height.

Sklar

There are new condos with 8ft ceilings. Im surprised by this. 9ft minimum non negotiable.

Standard for condos, apartments, and houses is 8 feet. 9 feet, or more, is not standard and will buyers more. The builders may call them "luxury" by doing so, but there is extra material that adds to the cost. Also why properties with wide lots (>25 feet) cost more in property taxes, because of the cost for the city to clear the roads of snow or the material to maintain the roads.

given that 9 feet is 12.5% more than 8 feet, i would rather that developers make the units 12.5% larger with wide and shallow layouts while retaining the old 8ft standard ceiling height for the same price ; but that's me. :D
My 5ft wife would likely ask for 6ft ceilings and a longer and wider floor space. Smurf units would seem like a pizza box :)

9' ceilings are pretty much the standard for mid- to high-end condos these days
You will see some condos with 8' or 8'-6" ceilings, which is the product of developers trying to squeeze extra floors within a set building height.
Older condos typically have 8' ceilings (and unfortunately popcorn textured).

Taller ceilings do make a big difference in making the unit feel more open and spacious.
I'm also lucky to have 10' ceilings and everyone comments how nice it feels.

While 9' ceiling give you a more spacious feel, particularly in a smaller space, over 8' ceilings, I find 10' ceilings completely change the way you decorate and illuminate the occupied space. You suddenly have much more storage space above your bookshelf. Changing light bulbs require a real ladder, not just a chair. Artwork can be larger and positioned higher up to better balance your 'canvas'. Lighting requirements can change in terms of angle of spot lights, intensity, frequency/spacing, etc.

Of course, these are all minor factors to consider for a much more spacious feel of your living space. Small spaces suddenly feel airy!

I have an older condo - 8 ft ceiling standard with 7 ft ceilings in the bathrooms and laundry.

I'm not complaining because the unit is 1300 sqf - ceiling height barely makes a dent in the spaciousness of the space.

Back