Do you wear a poppy?

Do you wear a poppy?

• Yes

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I try to make it a habit the day after Halloween (so not the whole two weeks). Though I'll be late this year as I'll be in the US until the 5th (and is not recognized or available in that country).

I am an unabashed fan of the poppy - its one symbol that's almost entirely removed from jingoism (unlike all the ribbons), and such a Canadian/British icon, largely thanks to one of Canada's most famous poems. It's a symbol of mourning and rememberance.

John McCrae's poem

1543026273_5b086757ac.jpg

In Flanders Fields
____

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.​

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields

I recycle mine - I can't remember the last time I bought one. It's the thought that counts, after all, on Remembrance Day.

I usually give the collectors a donation - even if I have one from previous years around. Like Sean I tend to wear mine starting in November.

I usually lose mine (jacket-switching), so I pick one up every year (and wear it).

I wear my poppy for those who have died for my nation and for my Grandfather who gave his life in World War 2.

In memory of
Flying Officer
EDWARD WALTER POLLARD
who died on March 26, 1945
Military Service:
Service Number: J/43686
Force: Air Force
Unit: Royal Canadian Air Force
Division: 354 (R.A.F.) Sqdn

That's strange; I have seen several of them.

Poppies are also available at most of the Tim Hortons. They have really got behind the poppy campaign, including radio advertising (good for them!)

I wear a poppy on Remembrance Day. Not for two weeks, just Remembrance Day. It seems like some people are in a competition to see who can honour veterans the most, it kinda makes me sick because I think that some two week poppy wearers are doing it just so they can make sure everyone sees them wearing a poppy. Pure vanity (in some cases, others do it honestly). Of course it's equally shameful that so many younger people don't wear one at all

I've had poppy sighting in midsummer - I don't know if they forgot to take it off or are gearing up for November. Maybe some see it as a decorative device and nothing more.

I try to buy poppies from actual vets so that I can ask them where they fought, and thank them personally. However, I haven't seen one in years and will have to buy one at a cash register this year.

There can't be many WW2 vets left selling those things. Pretty soon the Korea vets will be falling off their perches big-time too. Then what - the misguided Canadians who volunteered to fight for Uncle Sam in Vietnam?

Back