News   May 10, 2024
 510     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 616     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 850     0 

Do you use a bike for transport in the city?

Do you use a bike for transport in the city?

• Yes, in good weather only

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Yes, year round

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Rarely or never

Votes: 21 46.7%

• Total voters

kettal

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Do you use a bike for transport to work, school, friends, shopping, etc in Toronto?

I'm asking not about recreational biking here, but utility biking, on the streets and stuff.

Shouldn't this be in poll section?

Anyways I used to bike back in 04 (not just for recreation but street as well.) between Sauga and Etobicoke. Don't have a bike now, so I say "never".

Yeah it probably should be in the polls section. The title really was amazing though. Instead of saying what the purpose of the thread was in the title, I had to venture inside to figure out what it was, where I was drawn in and had to answer the poll. Very sneaky.

Yes, I own a bike, and yes I use it 100% of the time. Since I don't own a car, it's kind of my main form of transportation along with transit (mostly bus and go train) and rollerblades in the summer. It's rather old though, and it seems no amount of repairs can slow aging, so I'm looking into one of those nice $1000-$2000 bikes as a replacement.

There should be a fourth option: "Until the snow and salt hit".

I commute to Scotia Plaza. I'm impressed that today there were, maybe 50 bikes parked there. Not bad for December 1, with a morning temp near zero. I think it's a real improvement compared to two years ago.

But when the snow comes and they start salting the road I'll pack it in. Too dangerous. Too much damage to the bike from the salt.

Yes, I own a bike, and yes I use it 100% of the time. Since I don't own a car, it's kind of my main form of transportation along with transit (mostly bus and go train) and rollerblades in the summer. It's rather old though, and it seems no amount of repairs can slow aging, so I'm looking into one of those nice $1000-$2000 bikes as a replacement.

Have you considered these?. They're not fast and can't do big hills, but should last forever.

I commute to Scotia Plaza. I'm impressed that today there were, maybe 50 bikes parked there. Not bad for December 1, with a morning temp near zero. I think it's a real improvement compared to two years ago.

But when the snow comes and they start salting the road I'll pack it in. Too dangerous. Too much damage to the bike from the salt.

That's where I fit in, I'm an April to October cyclist. I walk or do TTC in the winter.

I've been biking to Scotia Plaza too for 3 years, and I agree there are a lot more of us now.

I emailed the property management in the spring about more bike racks, and 2 weeks later another 4 or 6 racks showed up.

for those of you who bike (I'm considering it), what are the issues around theft? I know you have to lock up, and I see lots of folks take off the wheel. Are some areas better than others?

When I was in Holland, I noticed that people ride old beaters. Nobody has a nice bike, at least not for riding to work/school! When I asked about it, I was told it's because of theft. They have crappy old bikes for commuting and keep the good ones for weekend riding or when they don't have to leave the bike somewhere.

for those of you who bike (I'm considering it), what are the issues around theft? I know you have to lock up, and I see lots of folks take off the wheel. Are some areas better than others?

When I was in Holland, I noticed that people ride old beaters. Nobody has a nice bike, at least not for riding to work/school! When I asked about it, I was told it's because of theft. They have crappy old bikes for commuting and keep the good ones for weekend riding or when they don't have to leave the bike somewhere.

Exactly.

I commute on a 40 year old cruiser I bought for $11.

My nice road bike is never locked outside, it's either bring ridden or in my basement.

not quite $11, but my $100 supercycle has lasted 2 winters without too much wear. cheaper and more fun than a metropass.

I ride a $400 bike, so nicer than a beater but still not an "expensive" bike, and spent about $40 on a good Kryptonite U-lock. I've locked it up all over the city and it is yet to be stolen (even when cheaper bikes with cheaper locks have been stolen a few racks over).

So, buy a good lock. It's worth it.

Any bike store will remove the "quick release" bolts from the wheels and seat post and replace them with bolts that you need a wrench to remove. That should be sufficient to ensure that you wheels or seat don't get stolen.

I have two Kryptonite locks, one is a "U" style lock and the other is a 6' (roughly) coil which I put through the wheels and thread through the U lock then secure it to a bike rack. I quickly pop off my seat and off I go. The U lock snaps into a mounting bracket on the side of my bike and I carry the Kryptonite coil in my knapsack. I've had 4 or 5 bikes stolen in the past 25 or so years using cheap locks, with Kryptonite locks I've had my current bike now for 5 or 6 years. No lock absolutely guarantees theft but the way I think about it is when thieves see Kryptonite locks on a $700 bike chances are they'll move onto the next one.

They look like this -

krypto1.jpg
krypto2.jpg

I voted in good weather only, because I bike commute in Toronto during the summer and in a city with summer weather the rest of the year :D

In TO, I have a 13 year old Nishiki with copious rust stains and scratches and a torn seat. Nevertheless, I had it fixed recently with a new shifting system and brakes and it rides like a dream. It is exactly the kind of bike I would want in a city like ours.

It also might just be my hunch, but I think that bike theft has been reduced significantly sinced they arrested Igor Kenk.

Back