• Yes

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • No

Votes: 71 62.8%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 11 9.7%

• Total voters
And how about our new bins!!

They are grey, or is it gray. Such a pretty colour. Even my submarine is grey. But then again you don't see it. Grey, might as well made them out concrete. Even the old ones were grey.
What happened to colour, maybe a nice sky blue, or ravine green.
In a city that promotes the distinct identity of each neighbourhood, it's a shame we are all beginning to look the same.

it's so ugly....

cold, devoid of life and character. looks like it should belong in mississauga or something... lol.

Ugly Indeed

And in reference to the new street signs, I saw another that had Ave. as Av.
My Budda who allowed them to change the English language.
Also noticed on Google Maps, First Ave. in East end (Gerrard and Broadview) became 1st Ave.
Technology really is our friend?

I finally saw these things in real life. Now I apologize in advance, as I know poor language is generally not appreciated around here, but these are the most fucking terrible things I have ever seen. Absolutely atrocious on every level. Who do I complain to, before they've replaced too many existing signs?

Well...

As a hopeless optimist, I'd figure someone in control centre would notice, maybe I should take my own advice and remind myself it's "hopeless".

I finally saw these things in real life. Now I apologize in advance, as I know poor language is generally not appreciated around here, but these are the most fucking terrible things I have ever seen. Absolutely atrocious on every level. Who do I complain to, before they've replaced too many existing signs?

I agree with this assessment. When I saw the picture in the OP I thought it was bland but relatively clean and inoffensive but I got to see one of these things out in the wild in my neighbourhood last week. Let me tell you it looked completely out of place and I pray that the bureaucracy gets bogged down with other matters and loses interest before they can manage to replace any more of these things.

I agree with this assessment. When I saw the picture in the OP I thought it was bland but relatively clean and inoffensive but I got to see one of these things out in the wild in my neighbourhood last week. Let me tell you it looked completely out of place and I pray that the bureaucracy gets bogged down with other matters and loses interest before they can manage to replace any more of these things.

I first saw these in pictures of "The Shops at Don Mills" and thought they looked great. But seeing one in person on the street it was clearly just terrible. Then I realized they look great at The Shops at Don Mills because they are exactly like the kind of sign you would expect to see at a mall!

Sad so sad

It really is sad that in this great city, in a city full of talented graphic designers and architects, that we seem to have trouble tapping their resources.
Why can't corporations, private or public, take 5 minutes out of their day and ask for submissions for new designs they are working on.
Just look at the response of the charette for the new bridge over the rail line on UT. Stunning results.
Is it really that hard?

^Marccram:

Read some of the earlier posts... the point that many are trying to make here is that we don't need a new design for street signage. What we have right now (the historic "acorn" street signage) is beautiful and adequate.

anyone else think that some folks on this forum just cannot be satisfied... by anything?

I love the signs.

^Marccram:

Read some of the earlier posts... the point that many are trying to make here is that we don't need a new design for street signage. What we have right now (the historic "acorn" street signage) is beautiful and adequate.

and we can't afford it.

we've tried using "modren" flat aluminum acorn ones and people hated them too. that's the reason why we got this new one. Which is very nice.

anyone else think that some folks on this forum just cannot be satisfied... by anything?
There's always going to be a large measure of that, no matter what the change.

I do agree with the person who said they might look more like they should be around a suburban mall and not a downtown street, but they're nowhere near as bad as some people are making them sound. The acorn ones weren't that nice.

Back