Votes: 71 62.8%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 11 9.7%

• Total voters

Mystic Point

Member Bio
Reaction score
Streetsign(Darkstar416).jpg

I already know what the answer to this is going to be. But here we go.

How do you like the new Blue and White street signs?

I hate them. They look cheap, plasticky, and were an unnecessary expense. Our classic sign designs will be sorely missed... they look out of place, and will ESPECIALLY look wrong in older areas.

Would cities proud of their history like London or Paris ever put up signs like that (in older areas)??? I like to think that they wouldn't.

They're completely devoid of any character whatsoever. There are a lot of the original acorn signs in excellent condition in Cabbagetown and they look super classy. If they start replacing these with the new ones I'm going to be very upset.

I'm not usually prone to heritage fanaticism or extremism of any sort, but the new signs take a lovely design, defecate on it and flush it down the toilet. They just scream "nowheresville".

They're tolerable compared to a plain blue or green reflective rectangle, but when you compare them to the old ones there's no contest.

You've heard of Buy a Highway? Why not buy a street sign. With 5 million people, I'm sure there are enough of us who would be more than happy to chip in the $175.oo's per sign, to maintain our beloved Acorns!

If anyone is connected to our dubious City Hall, can you sneak this onto the agenda?

Failing that, join my Facebook Group.

" Toronto's new street signs are U G L Y. Bring back the B+W Acorn Signs "

Sometimes these Facebook Groups actually influence the political beasts among us.

Thanks.

I'm ambivalent. They actually don't look bad in the boonies, or in Don Mills Centre...

^ I was about to mention that. They might look cheap compared to the old City of Toronto signs, but they are an improvement compared to the blue-on-white rectangular signs of Scarborough or North York.

I don't know how long it would take for these new signs to be installed all over Toronto. I see them popping up slowly, one intersection at a time. Just looking at all the variations in street signage resulting from various failed attempts at unifying signage in Toronto (and previous Metro municipalities), I wonder if the City will replace the current design with another design before long.

I watched as these signs went up in the west end, and they were literally slapped onto bent and rusted poles - while the old signs looked perfectly fine in such circumstance, these new ones do nothing but stand out like bland blue bins hoisted in the air. Why was this necessary? Was it not possible to replicate the present signage and make a bit of modern take on the older version for newer neighborhoods? F--k, s--t like this is exactly the reason why I loathe this city.

p5

Back