News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 656     1 

Do EcoEnergy Audit result in property tax increases?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
We're planning a renovation of our Cabbagetown house. Since we're replacing some old drafty doors and windows, plus insulating and finishing the stone basement, and adding some two bathrooms, both with low flush toilets, plus redoing the kitchen with new insulation and new low energy appliances, I thought I'd apply for an EcoEnergy audit through the Federal and Provincial Governments for rebates on some of these environmental improvements, see http://www.ecoaction.gc.ca/ecoenergy-ecoenergie/index-eng.cfm#5steps for details. Basically an auditor comes to see your home prior to the reno, makes recommendations on what parts of the reno they program will cover, and then returns after the reno to review the reno and prepare the rebates.

However, after I booked the appointment for the auditor, I was asked for my municipal tax assessement number. Since none of the rebates come from the City of Toronto (unless I apply separately for the low flush toilets) and any building permits will be made directly with the city, I am wondering why this info is needed. My concern is that the ecoenergy program will report my reno to the Toronto governement, leading to a property tax assessment increase.

Maybe it is to verify that you are indeed the homeowner. I believe these programs are only for homeowners and not renters. For all they know you could be renting.

Maybe it is to verify that you are indeed the homeowner. I believe these programs are only for homeowners and not renters. For all they know you could be renting.
I thought of that, but they'd still need to contact the city to acccess the property ownership records, which would tip them off that folks are renovating.

I don't think the two are linked. Seeing as you need building permits from the City for your renos they would find out anyway. MPAC, not the City, does the assessments - though I suppose they would have access to City records to do so.

I don't think the two are linked. Seeing as you need building permits from the City for your renos they would find out anyway. MPAC, not the City, does the assessments - though I suppose they would have access to City records to do so.
What's MPAC?

Per http://www.toronto.ca/building/building_permits.htm you only need building permits if you're doing the following:

- construct a new building
- renovate, repair or add to a building
- demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
- change a building's use
- install, change or remove partitions and load-bearing walls
- make new openings for, or change the size of, doors and windows
- build a garage, balcony or deck
- excavate a basement or construct a foundation
- install or modify heating, plumbing, air conditioning systems or fireplaces
reconstruct a chimney.

You do not need a permit if you're:

- replace existing, same-size doors and windows, subject to distance from property lines
- install siding on small residential buildings, subject to distance from property lines
- build a roofless deck under two feet (0.61 metres) that is not attached to a building
- build a utility shed under 100 ft2 (9.29 m2)
- reshingle a roof, provided there is no structural work
- install eavestroughs, provided that drainage is contained on your property
- replace or increase insulation, dry-wall or plaster
- damp-proof basements
- paint or decorate
- install kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing
- erect a fence (except for swimming pools * outside pools require permits)
- electrical work (the Electrical Safety Authority, however, must inspect electrical installations)

So, I think I'll need a permit to change the plumbing in my kitchen and to knock out my back wall to put in a new window, but the basement rewiring, subfloor, insulation and finishing, plus the new kitchen and adding two additional bathrooms I may not need a permit. Of course, the second point requiring permits, that of " renovate...a building" could be interpreted to cover everything.

MPAC = Municipal Property Assessment Corporation. It's the company the province set up to handle property assessments across the whole province. Re-assessments are currently on-hold.

Sorry, I read your post as stating you definitely needed building permits. I would think you would need permits for the new bathrooms (that would require plumbing work, right?).

It is likely the additional bathrooms and finished basement that would end up driving any real assessment increase. More bathrooms, more habitable space = higher house value. The eco-renovations wouldn't dramatically increase the value of your house, those are just systems upgrades.

MPAC operates and assesses by one portion of reason and one portion of magic. You can never be too sure what the results will be.

Back