Discovery Condos (Concord Park Place) - Real Estate -

I've been renting in 19 Singer Court since Apr. 2012.
The only reason I am writing this reply is to warn those who are either thinking about buying or renting these condo units.
Why? Because simply put my life since Apr. has been pure hell here in this place.
I will just list what I experienced here.

1. I have gotten over $400 in parking tickets simply because I couldn't get an additional parking space. They do not have extra parking space for those who have more than one car. And there are no over night parking available within miles and miles. (haven't found one yet) I tried, McDonald, Ikea, plazas nearby, Subway parking, of course few street parking. You park, you get tickets. If you want to buy space out from other people, not only you have to compete with few hundered other residents but the prices are ridiculously high (150~250 a month)

2. Fire alarms: Eye deafening fire alarm every few days. Some are false alarms and some alarm testings. And sometimes you just get this strange clicking sound on the speakers so loudly. I counted maximum of 7 fire alarms in one month. half of them were between 12 AM ~5 AM. If you have a baby or a child, beware. If you want to sleep somehow in this place, forget it.

3. Constant testing, repairs, out of orders, power outage: I lost 3 new bulbs since Apr. You know how it is. Power goes out so often I gave up on fixing my digital clocks on my home electronics. Elevator constantly stops. I got stuck in the elevator once. Pool has been closed few times (once for over a week). Sauna only started to work since summer. Hot tub is full or foam but not cleaned. Men's shower handle has been broken for over 4 months. (they put duct tape around the handle) Laundry room was closed for more than a week. Staircase to swimming pool was closed for a week. Garbage chute constantly blinks out of order. I can't even list all the 'out of order's 'broken' signs. They had to march in to every units to install mesh for glass railing on the balcony. For few times!!!

4. Pets: yes, this is pet friendly building and the residences don't clean after the dog very well. Dog poohs all around the building, sometimes pee on the elevators and hallways. There seem to be dozens and dozens of dogs in the building and pooh and pee are not likely go away.

5. Neighbors: Loud, noisy, (Soundproofing is not of an acceptable level). Shopping carts from Ikea across the street every corners. Garbages wherever they want to leave in the corners. I hear fighting and arguing all the time from all directions. Downstairs, next to me, upstairs, even across the hall. Commercial units on the first floor are pretty much useless or empty other than BMO.

6. Communication: Whenever you want to talk to management, phone is either busy or goes to a voice message. Management office staff doesn't seem to know what the hack is going on and you only get rhetorical answers and no real solution. Last summer neighborhood party they throw had the special setting in the courtyard. The set up crew continued till 2AM hammering and testing music on loud speakers. I had to call security 2 times and finally warn them that I would be calling police to stop them at 2 AM. It was sickening how this place wanted to rush things for their media coverage and advertising campaign for their empty suites.

7. Deposits, deposits and deposits.: I had to deposit $400 for 2 sets of keys. Karaoke room, movie room, party room, guest room all require hundreds of dollars of deposits. Elevator for moving, even the patio usage for BBQ requires deposits. As you can imagine all of the listed are underused and almost always empty.

I can go on and on for days of mismanagement and communication breakdown between management, residents and the board. (It's been only 1 month they elected the board - we never had any board for months and months).
If someone asks me about this condo, I would have to say, if you want to taste the life in hellish nightmare, welcome to the neighborhood. If you want to respond to this or argue, go ahead. I can bring witness of hundreds and willing to testify in court if I have to...

I AM MOVING OUT OF THIS GHETTO HOLE NEXT MONTH. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE....

By the way, the reason why I am writing this at 6 AM is because we had another false fire alarm at 5 AM. Two loud ear deafening announcement. "We have a fire alarmmmmmmmmm" and 20 minutes after another one "Fire department declared the alarm false", making sure we don't get ANY sleep at all. Happy New F-ing Year, thanks.

Sound proofing that bad? Any examples? Like how much can you hear?

I got this feeling that the fire alarms are caused by smoking in the suite.

Sound proofing that bad? Any examples? Like how much can you hear?

I got this feeling that the fire alarms are caused by smoking in the suite.

I live at 33 Singer as a renter. We are moving out next month as it's the end of our lease. We aren't moving out because the building is overtly awful, however. We are moving out because living in that area of Toronto is miserable. There is nothing there. No restaurants. No bars. There is no life in North York and we find it incredibly boring.

There are certain things about condos that suck which are not unique to Discovery. People are generally disrespectful of other people's space. I will agree that the constant testing of the fire alarm system and false alarms are very annoying. We've been woken up in the middle of the night several times for fire alarms that aren't even for our building. The sound inside the units is ear piercing but I suppose I'd rather be safe than not.

Be aware that there are clearly students living in these buildings so you aren't going to stop a bunch of 18 year olds from throwing their cigarettes off the balconies or throwing up in the garages after a night out. It's been fairly quiet though and i think the sound proofing is actually excellent.

The ammenities are constantly being fixed but that's part of any large facility. If people treated these things with more care, they would break down less frequently. The only big problem I have with the ammenties is that they need to put fans in the exercise room since the air conditioner has been turned off for the winter. I also agree that paying deposits for everything seems silly when people are paying high monthly maintenance fees.

The thing that sucks the most about these condos is there is no sense of community. There is nothing to do. I have to take a 45 minute subway ride to get downtown. There is a McDonalds, an Ikea and a Canadian Tire. It is becoming so high traffic that walking in the direct vacinity of the condos isn't always safe. If I was a buyer who was planning on living in the complex, I'd stay away.

The sound proofing is actually really good, as thetreble mentioned. I lived in X Condo downtown and heard my neighbour sneeze and even have sex on numerous occasions. This is not the case with this building - it is very well sound proofed compared to other condos. You may be unlucky to have a noisy neighbour, but all in all I think the sound levels are pretty decent.

As for the deposits - I agree. Not only do you need to give them a deposit, it has to be certified (essentially cash). So you need to pay to get a deposit certified only to get it back - makes no sense.

$400 in parking tickets? Not sure where you are parking, but I haven't received one parking ticket. You can get a parking pass from the concierge if need be and park in the Visitors. There is more than enough space in the Visitors parking. If you are parking on the street, there is metered parking now. You must have been parking illegally on the street to receive $400 in parking. I do find the parking spot prices to be a bit high - even higher than some downtown condos.

There are some options for food in the area, though you do have to drive. The Keg and Goose is down the street on Leslie. Near Leslie and York Mills you have Windfields, Swiss Chalet and other establishments. You have Fairview as well that offers many options. It is North York and not downtown :).

All in all, I don't think the place is bad. It's still a new building, so you have to give it time for all the issues to be resolved. Every condo is like this when it's built.

There have been some improvements and people can actually see some things happening.

As for the community feel, I think that just takes some time, and by getting the community involved more and more good things will happen.

Some residents have taken that initiative and are making a positive difference in the community there.

More details about the community:

Discovery at Concord Park Place Community

Last edited:
In reply to merongs and the treble. I totally understand your frustration, but I do have to say that since the board of directors has been elected, there have been improvements in the buildings amenities. There is better communication through boards everywhere in the building and suggestions have been taken seriously in terms of the gym (water fountain, moving the mirror). For whatever reasons, the fire alarms are lesser in number now, although still the constant testing for a new system is baffling. There is an absolute lack of consideration for other residents in terms of the dog poo, the cigarette butts being thrown everywhere and the noise issues on the weekends (and you can tell they are the young partiers who are yelling and screaming from the balconies without a care of whom they wake up) and having kids in the pool and jacuzzi basically unsupervised and doing cannonballs into the jacuzzi while others are in there (I blame the parents). Perhaps this is a hazard of living in a condo complex, I gather this may happen to a more or less degree in other buildings. I love the area and do wish there were more retail in the area, and not just Ikea and Canadian Tire. I personally would have like to have seen a major supermarket in the area, and I think there would be many people who would go there, especially with additional phases of Park Place. Something like a Metro (Loblaws is close by at Bayview Village but certainly would not call it walkable if you have bags of groceries). All in all, I think there have been improvements but the interactions with property management I agree have not left me with the greatest impression that they care about what happens with problems in the building. There is huge potential in Park Place, we will see if it keeps improving.

May 4

Could only get these shots of an empty unit as the sun kill the others
8718282852_33bf528021_b.jpg

8718283650_3967a01e1f_b.jpg

8717163591_90ee4a80b1_b.jpg

Townhomes I presume?

Yep. Guess the pricing...it`s insane. I have seen some of these townhomes go from the $600,000`s to over $700,000. I can`t believe anyone would shell out that much money for a dark 2-storey box. There are windows fronting the town home and nothing more. I really don`t understand the concept of `CityTowns`and think they are nothing but a cash grab for the builder. Stick a fork in me, I`m done!

Yep. Guess the pricing...it`s insane. I have seen some of these townhomes go from the $600,000`s to over $700,000. I can`t believe anyone would shell out that much money for a dark 2-storey box. There are windows fronting the town home and nothing more. I really don`t understand the concept of `CityTowns`and think they are nothing but a cash grab for the builder. Stick a fork in me, I`m done!

These townhomes are asking for 600s mainly because of the location and the supply. It's right next to a subway station and there are very little townhouse in the area, but it is definitely a cash grab for the builder.

I am definitely willing to spend the money on these townhomes, but my biggest gripe is the management fee. At 50 cents a square foot, the management fee can easily cost $700+ per month, which is my biweekly mortgage amount.

I walked by all these townhomes, half of them are unoccupied. I feel bad for these investors coughing up 10K a year for nothing.

These townhomes are asking for 600s mainly because of the location and the supply. It's right next to a subway station and there are very little townhouse in the area, but it is definitely a cash grab for the builder.

I am definitely willing to spend the money on these townhomes, but my biggest gripe is the management fee. At 50 cents a square foot, the management fee can easily cost $700+ per month, which is my biweekly mortgage amount.

I walked by all these townhomes, half of them are unoccupied. I feel bad for these investors coughing up 10K a year for nothing.

50cents a foot for all of those amenities is a good deal. That's the going rate. I pay close to 60 cents a foot not a single amenity and have to rent a heat pump.

I walked by all these town homes, half of them are unoccupied. I feel bad for these investors coughing up 10K a year for nothing.

You're right, it is conveniently located. It is nice that there is the Shuttle service to Fairview, to the GO and so forth - which adds to the value. And the amenities are great as well. I still think the town homes or "city towns" are way too expensive. Then again, it seems that almost every piece of real estate is inflated (in my eyes). I just can't phantom how town homes nowadays are in the $400,000's. That's a 3 car garage, 5000 sqft house in Texas :)

There are not many town homes in the area as you pointed out as well. Have you checked the North East corner of Sheppard and Leslie? There's a listing for a town home - it's significantly cheaper and looks pretty decent - http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=13060014&PidKey=-1779187290

Don't get me wrong, I love town homes. Infact, my parents have a town home that was built over 20+ years ago. I personally love the looks and even the layouts of the older town homes. I am not too fond of the new style of town home with 3 and sometimes even 4 floors. The town homes nowadays seem too narrow and with this new back/to/back concept, there is not much light in the new units as well. I guess what I am trying to get at is, at that price I'd rather buy a home - but we are all different and I understand everyone has their personal preferences and reasoning.

Hi I am moving and would like to dispose of some furniture at really good prices. If interested at any of the following items, please private mail me and I will provide photos and asking "
office chair (3 months old orig priced $119 at Cantire)
3 seater sofa
coffee table
a square dining table with 4 matching chairs
a set of 20 pc china (Mikasa never used), toaster. cd player etc to give away with purchases :)

Back