News   Apr 22, 2024
 822     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 284     0 

Development and Traffic Lights

yrt+viva=1system

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've noticed that with all these condo developments going on throughout the GTA there seems to be an increase of traffic light installations for these specific developments. These traffic lights are specifically installed for automobiles to access these properties and I'm wondering if this would be considered bad planning as they can be located very close to another set of traffic lights just down the road? An example of this would be the stretch of Yonge St. between Finch and Cummer. Another example would be the World on Yonge development on Yonge just north of Steeles, this development sits at the intersection of Yonge and Doncaster Ave and they are currently installing a set of traffic lights just before the bridge on Yonge. Although condos are one factor for what seems like the increase of traffic lights, there are factors such as local demands which can be seen on Bathurst St. between the 407 and Steeles Ave West.

I don't think there's a specific thread about this and it's been on my mind for a while now. Maybe it's just me or do others have an opinion about this?

I've noticed that with all these condo developments going on throughout the GTA there seems to be an increase of traffic light installations for these specific developments. These traffic lights are specifically installed for automobiles to access these properties and I'm wondering if this would be considered bad planning as they can be located very close to another set of traffic lights just down the road? An example of this would be the stretch of Yonge St. between Finch and Cummer. Another example would be the World on Yonge development on Yonge just north of Steeles, this development sits at the intersection of Yonge and Doncaster Ave and they are currently installing a set of traffic lights just before the bridge on Yonge. Although condos are one factor for what seems like the increase of traffic lights, there are factors such as local demands which can be seen on Bathurst St. between the 407 and Steeles Ave West.

I don't think there's a specific thread about this and it's been on my mind for a while now. Maybe it's just me or do others have an opinion about this?

Sometimes there is no real choice but to add new traffic lights. Your point about bad planning is right. Adding traffic lights to Yonge slows down the flow and causes additional backups. The problem is that this is by design. The official plan calls for more intensification along Yonge street corridor. However, there is no funding to update the infrastructure to support this. The area needs a Yonge subway extension and the North York ring roads should likely be extended at least to Steeles in short term, and highway 7 in long term.

The sad reality is that Canadian cities let developers get their way without paying for the extra burden they are adding to Ty existing infrastructure.

Back