News   May 10, 2024
 2.4K     2 

Detroit declared most dangerous US city

billy corgan

Member Bio
Reaction score
From AP

By DAVID N. GOODMAN, Associated Press Writer 35 minutes ago

DETROIT - In another blow to the Motor City's tarnished image, Detroit pushed past St. Louis to become the nation's most dangerous city, according to a private research group's controversial analysis, released Sunday, of annual FBI crime statistics.

The study drew harsh criticism even before it came out. The American Society of Criminology launched a pre-emptive strike Friday, issuing a statement attacking it as "an irresponsible misuse" of crime data.

The 14th annual "City Crime Rankings: Crime in Metropolitan America" was published by CQ Press, a unit of Congressional Quarterly Inc. It is based on the FBI's Sept. 24 crime statistics report.

The report looked at 378 cities with at least 75,000 people based on per-capita rates for homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and auto theft. Each crime category was considered separately and weighted based on its seriousness, CQ Press said.

Last year's crime leader, St. Louis, fell to No. 2. Another Michigan city, Flint, ranked third, followed by Oakland Calif.; Camden, N.J.; Birmingham, Ala.; North Charleston, S.C.; Memphis, Tenn.; Richmond, Calif.; and Cleveland.

The study ranked Mission Viejo, Calif., as the safest U.S. city, followed by Clarkstown, N.Y.; Brick Township, N.J.; Amherst, N.Y.; and Sugar Land, Texas.

CQ Press spokesman Ben Krasney said details of the weighting system were proprietary. It was compiled by Kathleen O'Leary Morgan and Scott Morgan, whose Morgan Quitno Press published it until its acquisition by CQ Press.

The study assigns a crime score to each city, with zero representing the national average. Detroit got a score of 407, while St. Louis followed at 406. The score for Mission Viejo, in affluent Orange County, was minus 82.

Detroit was pegged the nation's murder capital in the 1980s and has lost nearly 1 million people since 1950, according to the Census Bureau. Downtown sports stadiums and corporate headquarters — along with the redevelopment of the riverfront of this city of 919,000 — have slowed but not reversed the decline. Officials have said crime reports don't help.

Detroit Deputy Police Chief James Tate had no immediate comment on the report. But the mayor of 30th-ranked Rochester, N.Y. — an ex-police chief himself — said the study's authors should consider the harm that the report causes.

"What I take exception to is the use of these statistics and the damage they inflict on a number of these cities," said Mayor Robert Duffy, chairman of the Criminal and Social Justice Committee for the U.S. Conference of Mayors.

The rankings "do groundless harm to many communities," said Michael Tonry, president of the American Society of Criminology.

"They also work against a key goal of our society, which is a better understanding of crime-related issues by both scientists and the public," Tonry said.

Critics also complain that numbers don't tell the whole story because of differences among cities.

"You're not comparing apples and oranges; you're comparing watermelons and grapes," said Rob Casey, who heads the FBI section that puts out the Uniform Crime Report that provides the data for the Quitno report.

The FBI posted a statement on its Web site criticizing such use of its statistics.

"These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region," the FBI said. "Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents."

Doug Goldenberg-Hart, acquisitions editor at CQ Press, said that the rankings are imperfect, but that the numbers are straightforward. Cities at the top of the list would not be there unless they ranked poorly in all six crime categories, he said.

"The idea that people oppose it, it's kind of blaming the messenger," Goldenberg-Hart said. "It's not coming to terms with the idea that crime is a persistent problem in our society."

The report "helps concerned Americans learn how their communities fare in the fight against crime," CQ Press said in a statement. "The first step in making our cities and states safer is to understand the true magnitude of their crime problems. This will only be achieved through straightforward data that all of us can use and understand."

The study excluded Chicago, Minneapolis, and other Illinois and Minnesota cities because of incomplete data.

I've seen some disturbing shit in Detroit, but was more on edge in certain parts of Baltimore/Washington.

Detroit continues to get blasted, year end and year out, about its violence, especially homicides, and the immense decay, and the unending racial conflict, drug and gun traffic, and so on. But you'll find some form of this in many of the big cities in the the so-called American "Rust Belt". Detroiters have to feel that they are being 'picked on,' even as they deal with these frightening realities.

I have seen some of the underbellies of these fearsome urban landscapes over the years, with the poverty and the gangs and the guns and the lack of jobs and ... you name it. And there are all those people that are trapped in it that don't want to be there and probably shouldn't be there. And that breaks your heart if you ever have the pleasure of meeting people that you are conditioned to think are one thing and are actually another.

And those that fall completely out, and onto the pile of homeless, that is another matter indeed. People walk by them as if they were ghosts that they refuse to see, let along acknowledge.

I do not know what to say. We may feel that it is so far away, but it's there lurking and haunting and growing. I wish I could change it all, not just for those that are trapped, but also in a way for ourselves. That is a challenge that I hope we have not given up on, just because it seems so overwhelming now.

Detroit-the most dangerous US city?

Zephyr: I could not agree with you more-I feel that certain cities get maligned every year by this ranking. In some cases rightfully deserved but I feel that some cities take it "on the chin" so to speak. I know a little about Camden,NJ because of my Philadelphia travels-as much as Camden tries to improve its image a survey like this comes along..and kicks them down again! I feel that there are good people in these maligned cities trying to save them-but this does nothing to help their plight. Opinion from LI MIKE

I've seen some sad and scary things in a few American cities but Detroit was where I couldn't wait to get out. I think the gun culture is what makes me so uncomfortable in some cities when things get a little edgy.

The problem with Detroit is almost all the good areas in the region are outside of Detroit proper. Chicago, for example, has the southside but it also has wealthy areas to the north to balance things out. Detroit has no such balance.

Yahoo News

Link to article

Report: NYC fewest murders in 40 years?

37 minutes ago

NEW YORK - The city is on track to have fewer than 500 murders in 2007, the lowest amount in a 12-month period in more than 40 years, according to a published report Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

There were 428 murders recorded as of Sunday — 412 killings and 16 crime victims who died from injuries suffered years ago, The New York Times reported on its Web site. That makes the city's average slightly more than one per day.

Last year, the city reported 579 homicides through Dec. 24 — a nearly 10 percent increase from the year before.

The city's homicide rate reached an all-time high of 2,245 in 1990, making it the murder capital of the nation. Since then, the rate has plummeted to levels not seen since the 1960s. There were 570 homicides in 2004, dropping to 539 in 2005.

This year, police have determined a relationship between the victim and assailant in nearly half of the slayings committed as of Nov. 18, The Times reported. The motives in the remainder of the killings were still being analyzed.

The majority died in disputes with acquaintances, rival drug crew members or spouses and family.

Police department analysts found only 35 cases where the victim did not know the killer, as compared to 121 instances last year, officials said, according to The Times.

In the first half of 2007, New York City had a 5 percent decline in violent crimes, 23,887, down from 25,132. The city also had a 4 percent drop in property crimes for the first half of the year, according to a recent state report.

This post on NYC is going to confuse those who visit this thread. You could have posted a similar report for Los Angeles as well, since both its homicides and other violent-crimes are down by similar levels to New York, but for entirely different reasons.

When I was in NYC, they were reporting on the TV and in newspapers about this 'wonderful' development, while noting that one strange side effect of all this was the increase in violence against police officers. NYC Police Commissioner Kelly confirmed this later, and attempted to explain that the two were related since the police were pursuing a new policy that was more aggressive toward violent crime, and exposing police officers to greater risks.

You might also want to look at the changing demographics of New York City that make it different from such cities as Detroit, or Cleveland, or St. Louis. Those demographics along with a different economic environment of late, and a very different approach to gathering statistics and addressing crime, all lean into an entirely different direction. But perhaps that different direction is worth a look.

Back