News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

Density Creep

My dad lives just off Soudan in a semi that's... wait for it... four stories!

So many stairs. It's exhausting.

Anyway, the trend around there is simply to tear down or renovate the older homes and build cookie-cutter modern ones.

Oh, and see http://www.densitycreep.com

Last edited:
"Concerned about my property value going down." Isn't that a good thing?

They won't go down, they'll go up significantly.

Suddenly instead of requiring 1 family to afford the land they've now got ~10 families going in on a group rate. 10 middle income families have as much housing money as a single rich family, and this location isn't attracting a rich family. That said, the buyer of their property is very likely to knock it down to make it appropriate for 10 families.

If land values decreased with increased density, then a single-detached house in Manhattan would be selling for tens of dollars.

How dare they build upscale 4 storey townhouses in the shadow of a 30 storey apartment building!

That's exactly it. The stuff they're so afraid of is already there. They're worried that detached single-family homes like theirs will become less desirable as the presence of higher-density mid- to low-rise increases, but that's the opposite of what has happened and what will happen.

They cite $500K townhouses as having the potential to drag down their property values, but the 3-storey apartment building and the 30-storey high-rise you mention not only have lower property values than that, the Density Creep people's own property values in the past 10 years have gone up from the $750-800K range to over $1 million, over $1.5 million in some cases.

Being able to use Google Street View makes an article like this from a bit of a head-scratcher into a LOL sidesplitter. That woman has absolutely no perspective. She doesn't have a leg to stand on.

She clearly didn't anticipate that people would be able to turn to Google Street View to look at the evidence because she doesn't seem at all tech-savvy. As soon as someone had registered densitycreep.com, she tried to run a WHOIS search on it ... by typing 'WHOIS@densitycreep' ... into a tweet. (@densitycreep).

One day, interest rates are going to rise and housing prices are going to soften. I sure hope Density Creep is smart enough realize that's not going to be the fault of its new neighbours.

This lady is silly. Every time a $500K townhouse is built, it increases the value of her single-detached, as it makes even it more rare.

This townhouse might decrease local property values, but it would probably have to be prison-towns or marketed exclusively to criminals, to do that.

Giving them the attention they want is making them look like buffoons. Where have property values ever gone down when development has been added nearby? Unless as wopchop points out, it's something ridiculously obvious as negative, enhanced development tends to raise values.

Giving them the attention they want is making them look like buffoons. Where have property values ever gone down when development has been added nearby? Unless as wopchop points out, it's something ridiculously obvious as negative, enhanced development tends to raise values.

But oh no, they don't want peons who can only afford a $500K townhouse, That's the point

AoD

I find it ironic that this woman, having bought their Keewatin house 19 years ago, back in 1996, likely couldn't even afford to buy their own house now. Now she's complaining about people who likely have a higher household income than her's and are willing to pay up to $1.5M for a townhouse moving in...

"They won't go down, they'll go up significantly."

I think this is exactly the problem rbt. Land values will become destructively high, not lower.

Also, I want to defend the NIMBY sentiment. Why would someone NOT defend their special interest? It is not insane to complain, it is insane not to complain. That doesn't mean the city or greater society should accept the complaint.

You'll think that having actual single-unit houses in the Jane-Finch area (for example) would result in lower property values. Yet, they are tearing down the bungalows and putting up monster McMansions. om the Jane-Finch area. In actuality, it is because it is close to public transit that people look in the area. Wonder what the NIMBYs in the Jane-Finch area think about those monster homes?

Back