News   Apr 25, 2024
 138     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 400     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Dead/Decaying Malls of Greater Toronto

With tenant's like Bad Boy and a buffet, you have to wonder why they went through the effort of tearing down the Bay. Bad Boy would have been just as well off in a the old Bay store. RioCan does some weird things sometimes.

With tenant's like Bad Boy and a buffet, you have to wonder why they went through the effort of tearing down the Bay. Bad Boy would have been just as well off in a the old Bay store. RioCan does some weird things sometimes.

Well...it's Bad Boy, remember. For the sake of dignity, it may be more merciful to tear down an old Bay store than to adapt it into a Bad Boy. (Which relates to my previously stated point about malls and mall anchors being more self-consciously architecturally grandiloquent 20+ years ago.)

Speaking of the architectural grandeur of yore in moribund malls: I went to the Woodbine Centre Bay store for some searching-for-what-other-Bays-don't-have purpose this morning, and found myself wistfully impressed by its solid wooden door handles with the Bay "B" carved into them. Yes: even into the mid-80s, they built these places with class and for the ages...

I sometimes go to that mall for lunch. There's a place there that sells absolutely killer Roti varieties. I'll take some pics the next time I'm there, but the last time I was, I'm pretty sure the mall was nearly 100% occupied. I would say Woodbine is in a worse shape than Westwood.

Jason,

Here are the photos as promised. Westwood is alive and well.

There's one or two malls in china town on spadina (one larger one) has anyone been to them lately ?

I did maybe 2 years ago and it was in OK shape (i.e. there were some vacancies on the higher floors but it wasn't bad otherwise) what's it like now ?

Here are the photos as promised. Westwood is alive and well.

Alive yes, but not so well.

The Food Court has so many boarded up places and there is almost no major retailers inside the mall except whatever opened there years ago like The Source. No Gamestop, no major clothing stores etc. It's sad as a lot of folks use that mall in Malton.

Thanks so much Jarrek. Much apprecaited!

The LCBO has never left that spot! I'm curious if Malton Barbers is still in the south-end of the mall. Used to get my hair cut there every month by "Vince" when I was a kid. The mall never even used to have a food court. They added it around 1987 and it was a huge deal at the time!

There's one or two malls in china town on spadina (one larger one) has anyone been to them lately ?

I did maybe 2 years ago and it was in OK shape (i.e. there were some vacancies on the higher floors but it wasn't bad otherwise) what's it like now ?

You meant Chinatown Centre. There are still some vacancies upstairs and frankly, I think it is the most useless mall ever because there is no one goes there to shop. Pretty dead there. Unless, if you are a parent buying clothes for your children.

Chinatown Centre (the larger one), has a lot of vacancies in the food court and main floor along the edges, similarly, I've noticed businesses leaving on the upper floor too. It's not looking good.

Dragon City (at the corner of Spadina & Dundas) is generally well tenanted. I don't think it has any retail vacancies and infact just received a new bakery a few months back.

You meant Chinatown Centre. There are still some vacancies upstairs and frankly, I think it is the most useless mall ever because there is no one goes there to shop. Pretty dead there. Unless, if you are a parent buying clothes for your children.

The reason for its deadness isn't so much its uselessness in terms of products (which becomes more and more apparent when you lose retailers), it's because of the movement of Chinese people away to the burbs, in particular Markham where you see the same-sized petite retail setups doing well-ish in Pacific Mall, Time Square etc...

The reason for its deadness isn't so much its uselessness in terms of products (which becomes more and more apparent when you lose retailers), it's because of the movement of Chinese people away to the burbs, in particular Markham where you see the same-sized petite retail setups doing well-ish in Pacific Mall, Time Square etc...

I hear this a lot but I just don't really think it's true ... well maybe in a difference sense:

So to me I still find china town just as busy as it was 4/5 years ago? Is it the makeup of the population that is changing ?

Maybe they get less new immigrants now and it's more of a mixed bag in terms of who lives there.

Alive yes, but not so well.

The Food Court has so many boarded up places and there is almost no major retailers inside the mall except whatever opened there years ago like The Source. No Gamestop, no major clothing stores etc. It's sad as a lot of folks use that mall in Malton.

There are only two boarded up shops in the food court.

There was a lot of people in the mall on my visit there. Some parts of the mall look dated like the food court, but overall, it's in not in a bad shape.

There are only two boarded up shops in the food court.

There was a lot of people in the mall on my visit there. Some parts of the mall look dated like the food court, but overall, it's in not in a bad shape.

Are you sure about the foodcourt? Maybe it was just when I went (Sunday evening) but there were a couple boarded up, and a few just closed.. I think only one or two places were open.

I agree that the malls condition looks okay.. but they need true retails stores to make it there. Whoever owns the place isn't efforting, as there is enough population in the area to serve the mall well.

Are you sure about the foodcourt? Maybe it was just when I went (Sunday evening) but there were a couple boarded up, and a few just closed.. I think only one or two places were open.

I agree that the malls condition looks okay.. but they need true retails stores to make it there. Whoever owns the place isn't efforting, as there is enough population in the area to serve the mall well.

Yes. Some shops are closed on Sundays. There are only two boarded up shops.

Back