News   Jul 22, 2024
 662     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 488     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 528     0 

De Rosario paints a scary picture of growing up in Scarborough

I lived a year in Scarbourogh at Lawrence/Markham area and hated it. There were drive by shootings (coffee shop riddled with bullets), police chases, car/apt broken into, someone was shot on TTC bus with a shotgun (rush hour) etc. And not to mention it always felt dirty, this was about 15 years ago and never again. However not all of Scarb. is bad, there are some nice pockets mostly by the lake. A easy way to tell if a area is good and works all the time for me is to check the prices of homes, there are reasons for high and low prices. However one mans garbage is another mans gold, so to each there own.

Scarborough was slightly worse in the '90s, sure, now that most of the gangs have been broken and the demographic cohorts that caused all the problems have largely grown up or moved elsewhere (like to the UK to play soccer). But Scarborough in the '90s was still the kind of place where "the projects" literally amounted to little more than a few townhouse complexes. They're all quite decent and you're far more likely to see BMWs in their driveways than chalk outlines. Scarborough's median household income is higher than the city's median...it's not poor. It's always been Toronto's middle class borough. More Wayne's World than South Central. Who can forget the Woburn Riot of '91 or the West Hill Riot of '95? Oh, wait, those never happened.

Scarborough is probably the safest part of the city today, especially since the crime seems to be moving. In 2009, for instance, Scarborough had about 10 murders and almost all of them were along Kennedy. It's great when crime declines even as it moves around faster than public perceptions can be entrenched...previously sketchy areas like Malvern will become known as not as sketchy, and newer areas of crime may never develop bad reputations if the crime doesn't linger.

Scarborough’s reputation problem lies *entirely* in the fact that it’s a large and easily conceived of neighbourhood. East of Victoria Park...simple. Neighbourhoods west of Victoria Park are invariably difficult to map, even if we know their names. There’s Regent Park, but it’s not even 1/100th the size of Scarborough. There’s Jane & Finch, but where does it begin and end? It and other areas hide behind things like “North York” or "York," which almost no one can mentally map. And Regent Park and Jane & Finch aren't even necessarily crime-laden anymore...there's worse neighbourhoods that don't really have names or are impossible to mentally map, so we forget about them.

The Brits are tabloid obsessed, so the, err, embellishments make sense. De Rosario would wet his pants if he was actually left alone for ten minutes in South Central or parts of Philly, DC, Chicago, etc. Not that he said any of this, anyway (but he probably did say something about a rough childhood in ghetto Scarborough, leaving out any other potential factors like poor choice of friends and poor parenting). I wouldn't be surprised if the worst housing complex in Scarborough - keeping in mind that around 1990, most of Scarborough was still shiny and brand new - was a paradise compared to some British neighbourhoods.

Last edited:
I like his line about grey water coming out of the tap.

The last time that happened to me, I was living in a yuppie-filled rental building at Yonge & Roehampton. I guess Y&E is even more of a gangstaville than ol' Scarlem.

Just after the person who bought my place at Bathurst near Front moved in, somebody was knifed a couple of blocks away. My GF saw someone pull a gun on someone at Yonge and Dundas. So, crime is all over.

That said, I live in Scarborough now and there are several areas I wouldn't want to venture in at night. Particularly near some of the low end strip malls with non-descript grungy bars. In fact, maybe it's because I'm a middle class wuss, but even just the Kennedy subway station seems sketchy to me. I hope they really improve it if and when they implement the new routes.

But that said, I was a lot more frightened in Oakland than anywhere in Toronto. I still remember arriving at the airport and taking public transit late at night dragging a suitcase around and wearing a suit. I thought I was in trouble when a burly and sketchy looking guy came up to me when nobody else was around. Luckily he was just warning me: "Hey. You look like a tourist. I suggest you leave now. Look at me - I live here - and I'm nervous in this area, so if I were you, I'd go elsewhere as soon as possible."

Furthermore, where I live in Scarborough is pretty damn nice. Full of joggers, dogwalkers and little old ladies on their daily morning walks, etc. No nice coffee shops in my area though - so no "Starbucks sign" of overgentrification just yet.

Last edited:
I used to like DeRo before his ego exploded. This article is bull. Me and my friends used to bike up and down Galloway without ever getting shot, or seeing anyone get shot.

Back