News   May 22, 2024
 792     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 619     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 450     0 

Days Inn Carlton renovation to Holiday Inn

Are you serious???

LOL, I remember hearing the same thing from my ex-boss who used to live on the north side of 45 Carlton although not always involving a video camera. He and friends would sit in the solarium (his smoking area) with the lights dimmed and catch a show every now and then. Not unusual activity for people on holidays when you think about it so it doesn't really make a hotel sketchy.

The fact that all references to this being a Days Inn is gone leads me to believe that this is no longer a Days Inn.

Are you serious???

oh yeah, back in high school i'd sit in my solarium and see wizards, cinderellas and elves act out plays and then fuck, it was glorious...they did it pretty regularly for a few months...this was ~2003/2004...then there is (or was) the regular occurrence of couples just forgetting to close the blinds

The property has been bought by InterContinental Hotels Group and will be a Holiday Inn.

An interesting trivial fact about this building (and the Maples beside it): the concrete finish is textured, and squirrels are able to scale the walls. I believe they made their nest is the Days Inn sign, likely contributing to the persistant technical issues with those lights. EIFS treatments might confound the colony: we should contact suitable ecology authorities and make an enviromental case against the EIFS.

Living on the 23rd floor at 33 Wood for a year I can confirm this though I never noticed them at The Maples (I lived there one year too back in the '80's) . I first spotted a squirrel in my living room one morning a month or two after moving in, it didn't scare me but it sure startled me. I grabbed a few webcam shots and had the screen in the living room window replaced soon afterward. The squirrels were a problem for many residents at 33 Wood.

Pict0085.jpg
Pict0091-1.jpg
Pict0093.jpg

Speaking of empty.. Here's a few shots i captured yesterday... very empty indeed... it looks kinda spooky!

4435339919_6c19a3205c_b.jpg

4436112846_5b64837574_b.jpg

photos by me! steveve,

***Incase you guys didn't know, last year someone jumped (suicide) and died from the hotel... It's cursed!!!!

I disagree. Most people will hate me for this but I actually do not mind EIFS compared to what most slab-like buildings have now. That gigantic bare wall looming over Maple Leaf Gardens is horrendous to me. Oh well, to each his own right?

An EIFS coating in its' youth might enhance the look of the place, but in the longer term, it will age poorly. I think we're stuck with the blank wall, unless someone decides to mount advertising on it.

I never have liked the way it towers over the Gardens. Unfortunately, in the era the Days Inn was built, respect for historical buildings was all but nonexistant. I would LOOOOVE a huge Leafs mural right on that bare wall. That would be amazing!

What exactly does the lack of respect for historical buildings have anything to do with the blank wall?!? Take a look at the new towers going up that built to the lot line. The fire codes appear to be the same.

It appears there is new ownership, that the guest rooms are being gutted and rebuilt, and that they are pushing for a May 2010 opening to catch the G20 meeting here in Toronto. The gentleman did not reveal any other specifics.

Holiday Inn's site now says this:

The Holiday Inn Toronto Dwtn Centre is now accepting reservations for arrivals after September 30, 2010.

With this place closed and with the Ritz-Carlton not ready, it's going to be tight for hotel rooms here during the G20 conference. We all may have to take in wandering delegates.

Meanwhile, here at the two renders up on their website:

Carlton Street:

HolidayInnWELCM_EXTR_02_E.jpg

The Lobby:

HolidayInnWELCM_LBBY_01_E.jpg

Back