News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I meant for the Scarborough subway extension. This was was for Transit City. Presumably that table is a summary (or revision) of what Metrolinx presented in May 2010 for the 5 in 10 presentation - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20100519/Five_in_Ten_Board_web.pdf

The entire basis of using 2010$ is that is what is used as the basis for the LRT projects, where the commitments were made in 2010. I just didn't think the subway was costed until 2013 (other than historic work).

Hmm? On page 3 under Scarborough RT there's a comparison between the LRT option (to Sheppard), subway to STC and subway to Sheppard options. The subway costs are listed under 'Increase over LRT'. LRT to Sheppard is quoted as $2.5B, subway to STC as $3.1B, and subway to Sheppard as $3.8B

So the estimated difference was not $800M, it was $1.3B. It's only in the $600-800M range when you compare the full LRT line with the a shorter subway line option.

If we want to play that game I could point out that (in $2010) it'd cost $2.9B to take the LRT to Malvern in a fully segregated right-of-way (I believe that involved tunnelling to Malvern?) vs $3.1B for the subway just to STC.

Last edited:
Hmm? On page 3 under Scarborough RT there's a comparison between the LRT option (to Sheppard), subway to STC and subway to Sheppard options. The subway costs are listed under 'Increase over LRT'. LRT to Sheppard is quoted as $2.5B, subway to STC as $3.1B, and subway to Sheppard as $3.8B

So the estimated difference was not $800M, it was $1.3B. It's only in the $600-800M range when you compare the full LRT line with the a shorter subway line option.

If we want to play that game I could point out that (in $2010) it'd cost $2.9B to take the LRT to Malvern in a fully segregated right-of-way (I believe that involved tunnelling to Malvern?) vs $3.1B for the subway just to STC.

I wonder if the route selection will involve going to Agincourt. It is agreed that the subway will be built, so why not go to Kennedy and Sheppard instead of McCowan and Sheppard. It is not much of an extra distance, and probably the same number of stations. If the line needs to veer off McCowan to serve STC, it may be easier to continue northwest, instead of curving back to McCowan. I believe Scarborough Councillors and the Liberal MP's from Scarborough have always talked about connecting Sheppard subway to the B-D subway, and this could give them that opportunity.

I wonder if the route selection will involve going to Agincourt. It is agreed that the subway will be built, so why not go to Kennedy and Sheppard instead of McCowan and Sheppard. It is not much of an extra distance, and probably the same number of stations. If the line needs to veer off McCowan to serve STC, it may be easier to continue northwest, instead of curving back to McCowan. I believe Scarborough Councillors and the Liberal MP's from Scarborough have always talked about connecting Sheppard subway to the B-D subway, and this could give them that opportunity.

You wouldn't want to leave poor old Scarborough Town Centre without a subway would you?

Probably Brimley yes. Speaking of station names in Scarborough though, did anything ever become of the vote back in December 2013 to rename Lawrence East Station on the Line 2 extension to "Nelson Mandela Station"? Are we still doing that?
Who knows? The vote was by the province. TTC subway station naming is up to TTC, not the province. There's been no vote by either the City or the TTC. Based on previous lines, they don't tend to finalize station names until after construction has started.

Ah, I'd long forgotten about that estimate. I recall there are some older estimates too, when they studied what to do with the RT about 3-4 years earlier.

Presumably the estimates are more accurate as time advance - I don't quite recall the context or assumptions of that one. I doubt it was to Sheppard/McCowan though - didn't that idea first appear in 2013?

Why the hell are they keeping these costs secret? Can't someone FOI this?

Sounds like it's still just a guess of what Metrolinx might charge. I doubt Metrolinx will provide an official invoice until a new agreement is in place.

Last edited:
Why the hell are they keeping these costs secret? Can't someone FOI this?
Why FOI something the City Manager says will be released shortly according to the article on page A1 of the Star?

I'd think calling a line-item in detail that only goes to the budget committee next month "a secret" is somewhat disingenuous by the Star.

But you won’t find that figure spelled out in the hundreds of pages of budget briefing notes. Pennachetti refused to say just how much the city has set aside, or when or how it will be paid.

“Yes, it’s in the capital plan. No, you’d not be able to see it,” he said.

The city manager said the seven-member budget committee will be briefed on the cost in February.
It's all so strange. Will the Feb meeting be in camera?

Back