News   Sep 26, 2024
 410     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 968     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 624     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

... On a side note, they have been constructing an intervention headwall on the southside of McCowan and 401. Does that mean the TBM ran into problems under the 401?
I'm not familiar with the term "intervention headwall" - but it doesn't sound good. What does it mean in this context?

I'm not familiar with the term "intervention headwall" - but it doesn't sound good. What does it mean in this context?
The intervention headwall is basically a thick, low-strength concrete wall of secant piles that the TBM can drive into and depressurize the cutter head and allow maintenance work / tool changes to be performed safely. Not sure if this is what they're doing in this context or if they're merely adding another Emergency Exit Building south of the 401.

Sounds like a dozen or so headwalls are needed at various points along this tunnelling drive. This one may or may not have been planned all along.
Those headwalls are for the stations and emergency exits.

This wasn't planned, and indicates that something is very much not going to plan.

The media need to be digging on this, and asking tough questions.

A report to next week's TTC meeting seeks delegated authority to issue the RFP for new Trains and ATC once Federal Funding has been confirmed.

That confirmation is expected in the next few weeks. '

The intent is have many of the new trains in place in time for the opening of the SSE in 2032, but the last T1 would not be retired until 2035.

1726673566033.png

There is some commentary on the new trains:

1726673612639.png

1726673642552.png

I think I need to page @smallspy to get some detail on the 'enhanced seating layout'

A report to next week's TTC meeting seeks delegated authority to issue the RFP for new Trains and ATC once Federal Funding has been confirmed.

That confirmation is expected in the next few weeks. '

The intent is have many of the new trains in place in time for the opening of the SSE in 2032, but the last T1 would not be retired until 2035.

View attachment 597078

There is some commentary on the new trains:

View attachment 597079
View attachment 597080
I think I need to page @smallspy to get some detail on the 'enhanced seating layout'
LOL wifi on the trains.

LOL wifi on the trains.
WiFi onboard trains solves the issue of in-station and in tunnel WiFi, so it makes a lot more sense. But should definitely be paired with in-station WiFi that is more reliable.

Im still confused as to why SSE is going to take longer to build than the Ontario Line
It is intentionally designed to be phased so as not to overload the system, same with Yonge North

Originally it was supposed to open years before the Ontario Line.

I've never heard that one before, so you have a source for that?
The arguments against Yonge North were that it would overload Bloor-Yonge and required the relief line/Ontario Line to open it.
Relief line must open before Yonge North subway extension, Metrolinx says

Once the subways program was taken over by the province, they used the same thought process with all the projects - wanting them to all be delivered in 2030s.

The arguments against Yonge North were that it would overload Bloor-Yonge and required the relief line/Ontario Line to open it.
Relief line must open before Yonge North subway extension, Metrolinx says

Once the subways program was taken over by the province, they used the same thought process with all the projects - wanting them to all be delivered in 2030s.

But it's not like the Line 2 extension is a brand new line. The RT used to capture most of the riders in this area that will be using this Line 2 extension and used deposit them to Kennedy anyway.

Line 2 extension will be a very marginal increase in ridership when compared to pre RT closure as far as I can tell.

Furthermore, the Crosstown (whenever it opens 🥲 ) will definitely take a percentage of riders away from Line 2 as many bus riders going south might decide to catch the Crosstown and transfer at Eglinton station rather than going all the way south to Line 2 to then transfer at Yonge-Bloor station. Saves the hassle of navigating the crowds at Yonge-Bloor.

The crowds at Yonge and Eglinton are less awful? I recall waiting many trains to board going southbound when entering the system at Eglinton.

Remarkably, yes, the crowds at Eglinton are less awful. The better odds of getting on a southbound train at Bloor are down to the sheer number of passengers offloaded, which is considerably lower at Eglinton. The decision to shift the Line 1 platform north at Eglinton was informed by the awful crowding induced by the Line 2 transfer and busiest station entrance at Bloor both being right at the north end of the Line 1 platforms. And this is to say nothing of the dangerous crowding on the Line 2 platform. Of course, it remains to be seen if the situation at Eglinton will really be any better once Line 5 opens.

Back