News   Aug 14, 2024
 897     1 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 710     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 561     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I think it's pretty clear that city by-laws and procedures are meaningless when bigger forces have an interest in ignoring them.

Council and sitting Scarborough MPP's were in a tizzy to look pro-Scarborough subway in the face of upcoming elections. Not to mention Federal influence in pushing funding for the subway option.

We get transit if, when and only if and when politicians decide they support it. Procedures be damned.

Corruption at its finest.

Not years later ... I thought that was only for 12 months.

From the article:

"Council rules prevent the rehashing of previous debates unless council decides to reopen them — a difficult feat that can happen only if the motion wins two-thirds of the vote."

However, the Toronto Municipal Code reads:

"A member who voted with the prevailing side on a matter may make a notice of motion or a motion without notice in accordance with the procedures by-law to reopen the matter:
  1. With the consent of two-thirds of all members present if he or she makes the notice of motion or motion without notice:
    (a) Less than twelve months after Council or a committee decided the matter; and
    (b) If no regular election has occurred since the decision. "

I'm pretty sure the SSE vote came more than 12 months after the previous vote. It would appear that nothing illegal has happened here (according to the quoted section of the Municipal Code). But I'm not an expert, and I'd like to think that the Star's reporters, who are more experienced than I am, did their research correctly.

Jennifer Keesmatt, head of Toronto City Planning, says that the division didn't use due diligence when creating the Scarborough Subway Extension ridership estimates. City Planning failed to do a proper analysis of SSE, in order to appease pro-subway councillors.

Council didn't want City Planning to do a proper analysis, as this was a politically driven process.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...rborough-subway-analysis-was-problematic.html

9,500 riders at peak hour arriving on subway at Kennedy is a white elephant? It's almost double the Sheppard ridership arriving at Yonge, and larger than the forecast Eglinton ridership (again arriving at Yonge).

At 9,500 it's at risk of not being able to fit on the remaining riders on the Danforth line, which has very little excess capactiy. 14,000 is terrifyingly large.

9,500 riders at peak hour arriving on subway at Kennedy is a white elephant? It's almost double the Sheppard ridership arriving at Yonge, and larger than the forecast Eglinton ridership (again arriving at Yonge).

At 9,500 it's at risk of not being able to fit on the remaining riders on the Danforth line, which has very little excess capactiy. 14,000 is terrifyingly large.
Standard is 10k. preferably 12k. 9500 at peak means way less midday. We're not supposed to lose money on the subway.

I don't think Kipling get's 10,000 riders an hour at peak hour. Nor Downsview. You can't fill the train at the end of the line!

What do you mean we're not supposed to lose money on the subway!?!?

Back