News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     9 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.9K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Unbelievable. A few months ago the subway supporters said it would only cost 500 million more than the lrt, and that we can always go back to the original plan if extra funding didn't materialize. No harm done right? Instead we are stuck with a subway plan that will cost us well over a billion dollars, thanks to Glen De Baeremaeker and Karen Stintz's mayoral ambitions. And this is just the beginning of things to come.

I am not aware of De Baeremaeker's mayoral ambitions. I think that his ambition is to simply retain his council seat.

It was still the right decision, but made too late. Just like the gas plants. Mississauga should never have had that gas plant forced on it. It should have been built in Vaughan.

I had a brief glance about Kennedy's Subway Station and drivers loosing access to the Kennedy parking lot for months as the Eglinton LRT starts construction in the Scarborough Mirror. Wouldn't it be perfect timing to start tunneling so that the subway can go above ground?

you mean the BD extension ? it's all underground.

Okay, thanks. I guess using the SRT corridor is out of the question.

Well it can use the corridor, it can't use any of the infrastructure though, not Kennedy station, not any of the line stations, not the rail bed, and not the bridges, only the surface level real estate. The underground pieces would be new tunnels.

TTC made that pretty clear, with all the tight curves, etc. Though even the SRT to LRT conversion was going to move the SRT station at Kennedy to underground.

Well it can use the corridor, it can't use any of the infrastructure though, not Kennedy station, not any of the line stations, not the rail bed, and not the bridges, only the surface level real estate. The underground pieces would be new tunnels.
can we bring the line abouve ground after Kennedy, at Midland or Brimley, to save money?

Thanks. We're screwed unless this is cancled.
Screwed? How? The subway will be relatively well used, with higher ridership than either the Sheppard subway or the Spadina extension.

It might not be the best use of money ... but it's not the worst either, and will help transit in this city. And will link very well with the Sheppard East LRT at Sheppard/McCowan ... assuming that Mayor Kelly doesn't fulfill his dream of killing that project ...

Back