News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Also note the role of Ken Morrish and Joyce Trimmer in this. It's always been about the new and the shiny.

AoD

This is exactly why we'll have having the same discussion not too long after the one stop solution is done. It'll be new and shiny, but then people will be asking why there aren't more stops like the RT, why their bus rides are longer, why Scarborough only gets one extra stop while downtown has so many, etc.

Then decades from now people will be complaining about the terrible one stop extension forced upon them by the downtown elites and the provincial government.

It's actually kind of hilarious how history is repeating itself. Seems like Miller was originally just righting a wrong. ;)

Subway advocates might find it hard to believe there was a time when it was being argued that not building the LRT would stall development in the 'booming' STC.

Last edited:
LRT might look better to Scarborough once Eglinton is done. There was always bound to be intrepidation about new tech being foisted on Scarborough again.
They may also see that the more grandiose section of the line doesn't even enter Scarborough. It will still beat the current bus operation though.

They may also see that the more grandiose section of the line doesn't even enter Scarborough. It will still beat the current bus operation though.

And really only improved commutes for the small amount of overall Scarborough commuter pool who used the bus along that stretch.

There will be no real perception change with the Crosstown. Moreso for LRT that includes transfer before the Centre which won't be an issue with the subway extensions.

I do see it as solidifing support for a continuation of the EELRT down the road. But that line doesn't have relevant opposition to begin with.

Unfortunately it could cost $50B and that wouldn’t dissuade the supporters of this ridiculous white elephant.

I hope youre joking about the 50B. if it actually does end up costing 50B the question is HOW and WHY? How did they come up with that number and why would it cost that much to make 7km underground?
with 50B you can probably construct HSR from windsor to Moncton AND buy the trains with $$ to spare. I think at that point if it goes past 10B they should immediately stop all work and switch to converting the existing track to run the Mark IIIs

I hope youre joking about the 50B.
Given that some seem fine with $5 billion compared to the original less than $200 million to simply upgrade and the existing RT, the jump to $50 billion is a smaller magnitude ... then perhaps some would be fine if it did cost $50 billion. I'm still amazed anyone is advocating this much for so little gained, compared to what else is on the table.

I hope youre joking about the 50B. if it actually does end up costing 50B the question is HOW and WHY? How did they come up with that number and why would it cost that much to make 7km underground?
with 50B you can probably construct HSR from windsor to Moncton AND buy the trains with $$ to spare. I think at that point if it goes past 10B they should immediately stop all work and switch to converting the existing track to run the Mark IIIs

Of course I was exaggerating to make the point that the mindless supporters of this project don’t care about the cost.
I’m sure that if it does cost $10B those people will claim every dollar is worth it to Respect Scarborough.

Obviously some people hate SSE so much that any ridiculously exaggerated cost projection they can come up with isn't too high for them.

Obviously some people hate SSE so much that any ridiculously exaggerated cost projection they can come up with isn't too high for them.

The biggest irony being it's actually the DRL that'll for certain cost far multi-billion of dollars more than SSE could ever possibly amount to yet no one on here seemingly will own up to their own hypocrisy over that fact.

The biggest irony being it's actually the DRL that'll for certain cost far multi-billion of dollars more than SSE could ever possibly amount to yet no one on here seemingly will own up to their own hypocrisy over that fact.

DRL will deliver much more benefit.

No doubt that DRL is very important, and in a way, is more important than SSE.

At the same time, DRL will cost substantially more than SSE.

The irony is that those same people who jeer at every indication SSE's cost might have gone up, will throw all their fiscal caution out of the window once the DRL's costs will be announced (and likely will start climbing).

Back