News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8.5K     9 

Cycling: West Toronto Railpath (City of Toronto, Phase II Proposed)

The railpath passes by some factory demolition: what's the story behind that place, and does anyone have information on what's planned for the site?

You're probably talking about the one south of Bloor, right? That's Tower Automotive.

Log story short: Former aluminum manufacturing plant. Now owned by Castlepoint. There was a plan to develop it into studio space etc. for Pinewood Studios, but that fell through. Alternate plans are in the works, I think. The zoning is designated "employment lands" so I highly doubt you'll see condos or anything like that. Enviro remediation is now underway. The office tower is staying, but the other building are all knocked down, except for the facades facing Sterling Rd. / Perth Ave.

You're probably talking about the one south of Bloor, right? That's Tower Automotive.

Log story short: Former aluminum manufacturing plant. Now owned by Castlepoint. There was a plan to develop it into studio space etc. for Pinewood Studios, but that fell through. Alternate plans are in the works, I think. The zoning is designated "employment lands" so I highly doubt you'll see condos or anything like that. Enviro remediation is now underway. The office tower is staying, but the other building are all knocked down, except for the facades facing Sterling Rd. / Perth Ave.

Thanks Vic.

This part of town is gritty and seems fully industrial from the railpath, but right off Cariboo there are families on their front porches and the street. I found the industrial/residential intersect a bit rough: it looks like this mix of uses evolved outside of any plan. The railpath works to soften these edges.

And as I've heard from another party, the railpath was a great way to approach the Junction Arts Festival this past weekend...

Official Railpath opening event, Fri. Oct 31 2pm

More info and downloadable flyer here:
http://www.junctiontriangle.ca/node/461

West Toronto Railpath Park Official Opening Ceremonies

Councillor Adam Giambrone invites you to the official opening of the West Toronto Railpath Park on Friday, October 30, 2009. Councillor Giambrone, the City of Toronto, and Friends of the West Toronto Railpath are pleased to open the first 2.1 km of this exciting recreational trail.

* Date: Friday, October 30, 2009
* Location: West Toronto Railpath entrance at Wallace Avenue (south of Dupont, west of Perth, north of Bloor). See attached map.
* Time:
o 2:00 p.m. – Opening Remarks
o 2:15 p.m. – Official Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
o 2:20 p.m. – cyclists gathered ride the trail and enjoy the sculptures
o 2:25 p.m. – interested participants invited walk 2.1 km and explore the trail and sculptures
* RSVP: Toronto Protocol RSVP Line 416-392-7667

The West Toronto Railpath Park is a new 2.1 kilometre multi-use trail that is perfect for cyclists, joggers, and people out for a stroll. Travelling alongside the railway corridor, it features extensive naturalized landscaping to create an appealing public space.
In addition to 2.1 km of park trail, designed by innovative Toronto-based firm Scott Torrance Landscape Architect Inc., the project includes four site-specific sculptures by renowned Toronto artist, John Dickson. The artwork series, Frontier, is inspired by the changing landscape of the Junction Railpath area. John Dickson was selected to work collaboratively with Scott Torrance Landscape Architects Inc. through an open competition coordinated by Toronto Cultural Services’ Public Art Office.
The Friends of the West Toronto Railpath is a community-based working group with the goal of assisting the City of Toronto finance, design and build a 6.5 kilometre path from Toronto’s Junction Neighbourhood into the heart of downtown Toronto and the shoreline of Lake Ontario.
Once future phases of the Railpath are built, it will be both a linear park and a sustainable transportation corridor, giving more than 250,000 Toronto residents a car-free path directly into the Toronto’s downtown core.

Trail breathes life into 'dead zone'

The most recent example is the West Toronto Railpath Park, a 2.1-kilometre linear green space that picks up from what were once train tracks. As designed by landscape architect Scott Torrance and architects Kim Storey and James Brown, the $4 million trail/park brings new life to this part of the city and its 250,000 residents.

The Railpath, which runs north from Dundas St. W. and Sterling Ave. to Cariboo Ave. and Osler St., is accessible from a number of points. For much of its length, it moves past the backs of old industrial buildings and empty sites awaiting redevelopment.

More from Christopher Hume.......http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/718429--hume-trail-breathes-life-into-dead-zone

The Railpath project is a fantastic example of a relatively modest project with excellent results. These smaller, more local projects have a significant impact although they may never make into travel brochures. We should encourage these initiatives rather than focusing so heavily on the mega projects that soak up time and money without producing results.

If you haven't checked it out, you should!

The Railpath project is a fantastic example of a relatively modest project with excellent results. These smaller, more local projects have a significant impact although they may never make into travel brochures. We should encourage these initiatives rather than focusing so heavily on the mega projects that soak up time and money without producing results.

If you haven't checked it out, you should!

Be patient, for the megaprojects can achieve huge results.

The Railpath is supposed to be phase 1 of a longer and more functional trail to around King Street.

I've been using the trail regularly since it opened to commute on my bike as well as walk my dogs, and I've derived a lot of pleasure and convenience from it.
One thing I don't understand though is why a curb cut for cyclists hasn't been provided at the Cariboo end.

Last night cycling home around 6:15 on the Railpath I had a rather scary experience. I was heading north, approaching the Wallace Avenue access point only to be blinded by a set of car headlights speeding southbound along the path.
I was like a deer caught in the headlights. I was lit up like a Christmas tree with my bike lights but despite that he or she almost hit me. I had to slam on my brakes and they veered off onto Wallace. It was not a city vehicle. It was some sort of sedan, gold coloured, but I was unable to get the license plate number. I can only imagine they got on the path at the Ruskin Avenue entrance. I was quite shaken up by the whole thing, although I haven't reported the incident as yet.
Has anyone else ever seen or experienced this before?

Last night cycling home around 6:15 on the Railpath I had a rather scary experience. I was heading north, approaching the Wallace Avenue access point only to be blinded by a set of car headlights speeding southbound along the path.
I was like a deer caught in the headlights. I was lit up like a Christmas tree with my bike lights but despite that he or she almost hit me. I had to slam on my brakes and they veered off onto Wallace. It was not a city vehicle. It was some sort of sedan, gold coloured, but I was unable to get the license plate number. I can only imagine they got on the path at the Ruskin Avenue entrance. I was quite shaken up by the whole thing, although I haven't reported the incident as yet.
Has anyone else ever seen or experienced this before?

Bizarre! Just over the last week or so I've been hearing / experiencing lots of stories of cars on the Railpath.

Workers were using the RP for parking while re-paving the end of Wallace Ave. GO Transit was also parking trucks on the path and in the flower beds. Someone else said they saw a car use the Railpath to connect from Wallace to Randolph.

Absolutely...please report this! Sounds like things are getting out of hand, and especially dangerous at night.

Bizarre! Just over the last week or so I've been hearing / experiencing lots of stories of cars on the Railpath.

Workers were using the RP for parking while re-paving the end of Wallace Ave. GO Transit was also parking trucks on the path and in the flower beds. Someone else said they saw a car use the Railpath to connect from Wallace to Randolph.

Absolutely...please report this! Sounds like things are getting out of hand, and especially dangerous at night.

Vic,
I reported it this morning to 11 Division. I have to say, the officer who initially answered my call was most unhelpful, telling me there was no point in reporting it now and basically scolded me for not calling it in sooner.
I told her I didn't have an opportunity to call it in last night and had since found out (as per your comments) that similar incidents have occurred recently so I figured it would be worth it as there might be a pattern occurring. It was only after arguing with her on that point that she finally relented and put me through to the traffic office. I got voice mail but I left a detailed message of the event.

So much for our friendly community police!
Very disappointing.:(

That shabby reaction is disappointing to put it mildly.

Aren't there bollards to prevent vehicles from accessing this path? If there aren't, I would wonder why not. Sounds like a job for Wonder Boy, I mean Giambrone, and maybe a call to his office would be appropriate.

Back