News   Apr 19, 2024
 594     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 618     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Personally I’m not sure if the cycle lanes on Yonge are not too narrow. What do you think?
DAE43825-5AAD-4E00-8BE1-B16B0C6A9EA5.jpeg
0EC4650F-BCC9-4E44-9FC7-C5D27D3AF839.jpeg

(partial) * Crosspost from the Housing Now: Etobicoke Centre thread*

In this report, advancing the development: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ph/bgrd/backgroundfile-168154.pdf

The City recommends looking at the feasibility of a multi-use path in the Kipling Hydro Corridor from Six Points to Burnamthorpe.

That initial segment would be ~1km.

But would bring it within 350M of the Mimico Creek Trail; though that would require a bridge.

Last edited:

In this report, advancing the development: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ph/bgrd/backgroundfile-168154.pdf

The City recommends looking at the feasibility of a multi-use path in the Kipling Hydro Corridor from Six Points to Burnamthorpe.

But would bring it within 350M of the Etobicoke Creek Trail; though that would require a bridge.
Good eye.

But would bring it within 350M of the Etobicoke Creek Trail; though that would require a bridge.

I like that, would be a good connection to Kipling Station via Auckland Road too.

I'm not usually in the west end very often, but was the other day and thought something similar would be useful on the Kingsway Hydrofield. I know there's a footpath there but has there been any consideration to upgrading to a MUP? A connection from Royal York bike lanes at Dundas to Islington Station could be nice.

I like that, would be a good connection to Kipling Station via Auckland Road too.

I'm not usually in the west end very often, but was the other day and thought something similar would be useful on the Kingsway Hydrofield. I know there's a footpath there but has there been any consideration to upgrading to a MUP? A connection from Royal York bike lanes at Dundas to Islington Station could be nice.

Its not listed in the Toronto Trails Strategy so far as I can see.

That's the TRCA plan.

But that doesn't mean its not on someone's list at the City.

Wouldnt need a bridge. Already one there to the east in Echo Valley park, just have it use that

1624458996919.png

I'm really happy for this news. It was a no brainer. Connects a huge trail system to Kipling GO/TTC.

In fact, I think they should put a bike only "Bikeway" Through the entire Kipling Hydro Corridor. The trail is nice and scenic, but a straight line bikeway would make a nice bike highway through the west of Toronto.

Perhaps could also exist within the Canpa Sub rail branch as well, down to the waterfront. But that would truly be a bikeway with the simple destination being Kipling: it goes through a quite industrial area so theres not much in terms of destinations along the way, other than IKEA, which is a pretty terrible biking destination, unless you have a courier bike to load all that flatpack furniture on haha. However I could see a lot of Humber students using it to get to Kipling GO/TTC.

Last edited:
Wouldnt need a bridge. Already one there to the east in Echo Valley park, just have it use that

Good catch, I see it now.

I looked at the area via Aerial photos, and its mostly obscured by trees, so I didn't take note of of it.

when is the city going to seriously address the insane cycling infra imbalance between downtown vs suburbs? the map below shows on-street biking infrastructure. it's a serious equity issue that the city refuses to provide safe active transportation options for those living in disadvantaged Neighbourhood Improvement Areas (indicated in red).

not surprising that the suburban lanes that are built see low usage - when there's no network connections, your radius of safe travel destinations is severely limited
View attachment 330084

Staff are trying, and have tried, and suburban councillors representing those areas (with some exceptions) are in the way.

Remember, there were bike lanes on Pharmacy and Birchmount.........and a Councillor had them removed.

Remember, bike lanes were in on Brimley more recently, and the local Councillor had them removed.

You can't fault staff for that.

Some suburban investments are coming, particularly to off-road trails such as Finch Hydro Corridor and the Meadoway, as well as Humber Gap.

On road is much more challenging.

But you will see Eglinton happen in some form in the next year or two.

You'll also see some infra on Pt. Union; on Steeles East in the Kennedy area; and along the route of the Finch West LRT.

Plus, more than likely, Sheppard East around the 404.

Remember, bike lanes were in on Brimley more recently, and the local Councillor had them removed.
Crawford and Thompson IIRC. And, it didn't seem like the slowdown in car traffic was that extreme at that. People in the suburbs have to want bike infrastructure and push for it before Councillors make big bets. They'll probably make smaller bets, or, bike lanes will be built into big overhauls (Golden Mile projects for example?)

I actually think the thing that would increase appetite for biking would be much more non-bus transit, upzoning in the yellowbelt (triplexes+), and more mixed use streets. At that point you've a demographic that is slowly less dependent on cars, making other forms of active transportation more interesting.

Crawford and Thompson IIRC. And, it didn't seem like the slowdown in car traffic was that extreme at that. People in the suburbs have to want bike infrastructure and push for it before Councillors make big bets. They'll probably make smaller bets, or, bike lanes will be built into big overhauls (Golden Mile projects for example?)

Big bets will include most/all new LRT projects (street-running, exclusive ROW), its now City policy to find space for bikes in any such project.
So EELRT should generate cycling facilities on Kingston Road (Eglinton to Morningside); and on Morningside. (ideally on Eglinton East as well, though that will require some property taking in spots.

In general all rail grade separation projects are suppose to look at this as well, though there may be come exceptions.

Back