News   Jul 02, 2024
 634     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 700     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

A few days ago the northbound cycle track on Lower Sherboune was CLOSED - by Metrolinx.

Their website explains:

1696627723394.png

This closure (or its timing) was a surprise to Councillor Mallik and is really silly. Yes, they need to do work on the bridge but the should have ONLY closed the track AT the bridge (not from QQE to The Esplanade) and should have redirected northbound bike traffic to share the south-bound bike track under the bridge. There are no suggested alternatives but Lower Jarvis is dangerous, Yonge is distant and already half closed due to watermain work and Cherry access is not easy (and it's distant).

Though I do not drive, it will NOT be fun for vehicles if/when they close the southbound lanes - all the southbound streets from Front to Lake Shore are VERY busy and VERY slow during PM rush hours.

Not quite sure where to post this but it does make one have even less confidence in the police . They are pretty well funded but have pretty much given up on a large number of their responsibilities. Speeding, minor thefts, most other 'minor' problems and are not too good at dealing with murders or more major things either.

Maybe we need to spin off a portion of TPS as a second force to address quality of life crimes. It's not acceptable for the billion dollar police force of a major city to say they will only address major violent crime.

View attachment 511735

Official finish for College bike lanes is mid-November

Uhhh, LOL

Notice the asterisk *dates subject to change.

Also the magic phrase 'substantial completion' which is not really the same as finished. LOL

There is a sincere hope, with some fingers crossed that the work will be 95% or more complete by mid November.

Uhhh, LOL

Also the magic phrase 'substantial completion' which is not really the same as finished. LOL

There is a sincere hope, with some fingers crossed that the work will be 95% or more complete by mid November.
I'm hoping since they originally said by the end of May that it will actually be 'substantially' completed before winter is in full force.

I'm hoping since they originally said by the end of May that it will actually be 'substantially' completed before winter is in full force.

Sanscon - not at work.

Sanscon - when at work, usually doing it wrong.

Uhhh, LOL

Search your feelings, NL...you know this not to be true...
;)

Speaking of our favourite contractor, I spotted the dreaded Sanscon barrels on Gladstone south of Peel the other day. Naturally, it looked like work had barely started, despite being around halfway though the supposed construction period. What are the chances this project wraps up before winter?

Speaking of our favourite contractor, I spotted the dreaded Sanscon barrels on Gladstone south of Peel the other day. Naturally, it looked like work had barely started, despite being around halfway though the supposed construction period. What are the chances this project wraps up before winter?
It would depend on which winter you are thinking about :->

As I predicted several weeks ago (and I did remind TTC), the 501 streetcars are now running along Wellington but several stops lack ANY signage - even paper ones. They really are incapable of coordinating anything! The cars are also signed to Church - though they go to York.
Here is the Streetcar Service update on that. Just to add, it's bizarre and terrible how the TTC site uses these embedded route map JPEGs, which are poorly resolved and hard to read, and don't expand on clicking. You can open it in a new tab but it's exactly the same level of barely-readable. Never mind AODA. They apparently aren't aware of how to make vector graphics or design a half-decent UX.

Here is the Streetcar Service update on that. Just to add, it's bizarre and terrible how the TTC site uses these embedded route map JPEGs, which are poorly resolved and hard to read, and don't expand on clicking. You can open it in a new tab but it's exactly the same level of barely-readable. Never mind AODA. They apparently aren't aware of how to make vector graphics or design a half-decent UX.
I know where the 501 is SUPPOSED to stop thanks to Steve Munro who said:

The stops listed in the GTFS schedule are:

Eastbound:

York & King
King & Bay
King & Yonge
Church & King
Church & Lombard
Church & Queen

Westbound:

Church & Queen
Church & Richmond
Church & Adelaide
Church & King
Church & Wellington
Wellington & Yonge
Wellington & Bay
Wellington & York
York & King

The problem is that because thee TTC and the City put up many new poles since the TTC last used most of Wellington there are no SIGNS at several of the stops on Wellington.

It is also confusing for the uninitiated that the cars are actually signed King to Church - though they go to York and thus pass or are close to both King & St Andrew stations.

Why didn’t the city include separated bike lanes on St. Clair when they installed the streetcar ROW? I drive St. Clair a few times a month and often see cyclists dangerously squeezing alongside both lanes of traffic. The fix seems easy enough, get rid of the onstreet parking along the ROW route so it’s one lane for bikes, one for cars and one for streetcars. Was this considered and rejected during the ROW design phase?

Back