News   May 06, 2024
 289     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 883     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

The first picture above in your post is where they are adding new (cycling) paths.... Is the concrete/lack of naturalization really an issue for putting in infrastructure?

Potentially. It certainly isn't an issue on the entirety of the area we're discussing, but in some spots it certainly could be a factor (that's not the same as my saying it has actually played a role here.)

Here's Watershed Greening Strategy from 2020. I haven't given a thorough look through just yet, but it would give you some idea where there may be a conflict for that reason.

Highland Creek Watershed Greening Strategy - Highland Creek Watershed Greening Strategy_final_forBOD_August 13.pdf

Its also possible, but again, I don't know, that flood management work may play a role, and/or erosion work. I can see some sections of these corridors are entirely floodplain. The City can totally deal w/that for a bike trail as it does
for nearly all ravine paths, but what I'm looking at is where the risk affects adjacent properties and it may be desirable to mitigate that risk.

You can play w/the TRCA floodplain map here:

1673622578596.png

One other thing you said though makes me wonder, you talked about 'ownership' issues...........

I can see where that may be a problem.

Some of those corridor sections do not show as Toronto Parks owned or designated property in my maps, nor are they designated as Transportation.

Again, I don't know this, but I might take a guess that they are Toronto Water owned.

In an earlier era, pedestrian/bike paths sometimes got done across hydro corridors or Toronto Water land etc on a handshake with the local Parks operations manager.

That never happens now. It just has me wondering if these technically aren't anyone's assets.

It might be worth reaching out to the applicable City Councillor to see if you can get a clear answer.

I observe when I look at the trail at Huntingwood, which is awful, but I digress:

1673622947609.png

There's no signage from Toronto Parks, none from Toronto Transportation, below the fence is probably Toronto Water.

I observe when I look at the trail at Huntingwood, which is awful, but I digress:

View attachment 450318

There's no signage from Toronto Parks, none from Toronto Transportation, below the fence is probably Toronto Water.
This is one of the better ones (a fence, and reasonably cleared path), if you followed this to Warden or took the path on the right past Finch to L'Amoreaux you'd see areas where the path almost no longer exists. I did engage councilor Kelly a while back but it didn't go anywhere. It's been a while and perhaps a follow up with Mantas is in order. 'll see if I can snap pics when it's nicer out and foliage is fully bloomed.

It makes sense that Toronto Water probably owns sections; but it seems to me there were even private owners along the way - I recall something about a section near church or school south of finch that nobody was claiming ownership. But... I think Toronto Water has done work in paths having riden around the recent changes in Morningside Park.

They are replacing/remediating culverts/bridges along sections where the paths are awful and I suppose I figured there would be path improvements too.

This is one of the better ones (a fence, and reasonably cleared path), if you followed this to Warden or took the path on the right past Finch to L'Amoreaux you'd see areas where the path almost no longer exists. I did engage councilor Kelly a while back but it didn't go anywhere. It's been a while and perhaps a follow up with Mantas is in order. 'll see if I can snap pics when it's nicer out and foliage is fully bloomed.

It makes sense that Toronto Water probably owns sections; but it seems to me there were even private owners along the way - I recall something about a section near church or school south of finch that nobody was claiming ownership. But... I think Toronto Water has done work in paths having riden around the recent changes in Morningside Park.

They are replacing/remediating culverts/bridges along sections where the paths are awful and I suppose I figured there would be path improvements too.

Toronto Water is indeed behind the Morningside Park work as it was done to combat erosion, since they moved some banks and re-did others, they also paid for the path-redo as well as re-naturalization/landscaping.

It makes sense that Toronto Water probably owns sections; but it seems to me there were even private owners along the way - I recall something about a section near church or school south of finch that nobody was claiming ownership.

You made me look.

It'll be this church; and the path does somehow end up on their property ever so briefly. While it would sensible to acquire that bit from the Church, there seems to be ample room to re-route if needed.

1673643513063.png

You see the trail dart over a pink property line just as its approaches Warden, that would be the property of Bridlewood Presbyterian

Below: Church building in shot:

1673643603633.png

This reminded me of that time I rented a bike in Leiden, Netherlands. I made a left turn and so did the girl going in the opposite direction and we clipped. I stumbled but landed on my feet still straddling the bike. I thought to myself S#&! but I turned around to see the girl was still on her bike and she just smiled at me.

Dude coming from the right was not paying attention and driving on the wrong side of a bidirectional path.

Several of you have taken a keen interest in the raised platforms in Cycle Tracks at Bus/Streetcar stops. A bit more info:

1673948859475.png

1673948925401.png

The above from:
Thoughts? Share'em; here for sure, but also w/City cycling, they are really are interested in any constructive input.

For those near the Bloor/Dundas area:

View attachment 451057

WZ is work zone btw...
Two problems.

The sewer grates become potholes over time in the cycling lane.

Cyclists need to speed up going down the incline to the underpass to be able get the inertia needed to get up the incline on the other side. Should have been level with the sidewalk at least, and separated from the roadway.

Agreed. I can see inattentive cyclists doing a header hitting the platform edge in that drainage channel next to the curb.

Overall, I think this design creates unnecessary risk and conflict between cyclists and boarding and particularly alighting passengers. I can see this being a stop-gap until street reconstruction allows the curb to be moved to bulb-in for the stop with the cycle track going behind the boarding area.

Agreed. I can see inattentive cyclists doing a header hitting the platform edge in that drainage channel next to the curb.

Overall, I think this design creates unnecessary risk and conflict between cyclists and boarding and particularly alighting passengers. I can see this being a stop-gap until street reconstruction allows the curb to be moved to bulb-in for the stop with the cycle track going behind the boarding area.

Constructive. Thanks.

Now, here's the question, what can we suggest to the City to address the drainage need, yet create a safer design?

I'm wondering about hard plating that's perforated or slatted going over that gap; but also thinking about whether it might be excessively slippery.

Two problems.

The sewer grates become potholes over time in the cycling lane.

The sewer grates need to exist, or the bike lane would be under water.

However, it may be possible to incorporate a design integrated w/the curb. But that can only be considered during reconstruction.

Cyclists need to speed up going down the incline to the underpass to be able get the inertia needed to get up the incline on the other side. Should have been level with the sidewalk at least, and separated from the roadway.

I support your design idea, and it should absolutely be considered when this spot comes up for reconstruction.

Potentially. It certainly isn't an issue on the entirety of the area we're discussing, but in some spots it certainly could be a factor (that's not the same as my saying it has actually played a role here.)

Here's Watershed Greening Strategy from 2020. I haven't given a thorough look through just yet, but it would give you some idea where there may be a conflict for that reason.

Highland Creek Watershed Greening Strategy - Highland Creek Watershed Greening Strategy_final_forBOD_August 13.pdf

Its also possible, but again, I don't know, that flood management work may play a role, and/or erosion work. I can see some sections of these corridors are entirely floodplain. The City can totally deal w/that for a bike trail as it does
for nearly all ravine paths, but what I'm looking at is where the risk affects adjacent properties and it may be desirable to mitigate that risk.

You can play w/the TRCA floodplain map here:

View attachment 450315

One other thing you said though makes me wonder, you talked about 'ownership' issues...........

I can see where that may be a problem.

Some of those corridor sections do not show as Toronto Parks owned or designated property in my maps, nor are they designated as Transportation.

Again, I don't know this, but I might take a guess that they are Toronto Water owned.

In an earlier era, pedestrian/bike paths sometimes got done across hydro corridors or Toronto Water land etc on a handshake with the local Parks operations manager.

That never happens now. It just has me wondering if these technically aren't anyone's assets.

It might be worth reaching out to the applicable City Councillor to see if you can get a clear answer.

View attachment 450318

These sorts of trails really help with the issue of suburban areas having twisty streets that make walking and biking through them cumbersome

1673983541081.png

These are both places within a one mile walk for grid and suburb style layout.

The more trails we have that allow walking/biking etc between the windy streets, the more walkable they become.

There are actually a couple places that do this well in Toronto, notably Pickering and Brampton

1673983691746.png

Back