News   May 06, 2024
 178     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 706     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 580     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Time to sneak in another tiny tidbit:

The Meadoway segment from Bermondsey to Eglinton is on the 2023 work plan, all going well.

That's about a 500M segment. The plans include a traffic light to cross Eglinton and the Crosstown tracks.

Will be so cool that hopefully soonish you can bike all the way from the northeast of Scarborough, to downtown and then up to north etobicoke without ever leaving a trail.

If the Brits, who have thousands of roundabouts, are confused; this may not be something we want here! https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eft-confused-thought-UKs-bike-roundabout.html
It's the Daily Mail, so hard to take seriously.

But also looks like a terrible design. The pedestrians are supposed to cross to the island twice, just to walk around the corner!?! They literally put ramps for the bikes to go over the centre?

Whoever designed this should be fired.

It's the Daily Mail, so hard to take seriously.

But also looks like a terrible design. The pedestrians are supposed to cross to the island twice, just to walk around the corner!?! They literally put ramps for the bikes to go over the centre?

Whoever designed this should be fired.
Indeed, it is terrible design.

Lets see........what other tidbits can I share?

Danforth east extension of cycle tracks to Kingston Road (design tender) has the bids back in, and the hope is to award the bid by calendar year end.

The City is hopeful of being able to re-do the Pape/Donlands/Millwood intersection this coming year, and convert the bike lanes on Millwood bridge to Cycle Tracks.

Subject to preliminary feasibility; look for community engagement later in 2023 on the Warden Hydro Corridor Trail in Scarborough.

There, that's should be good for today :)

Last edited:
And here you are...

Bid Award Panel consideration on December 21, 2022
BA6.10
ACTION​
Ward: 3, 4, 19, 20​
Award of Ariba Document Number 3722909802 to IBI Group Professional Services (Canada) Inc. for the Consult, Design, and Support Installation of a Bikeway Extension on the Bloor-Danforth-Kingston Corridor for Transportation Services
Origin
(December 13, 2022) Report from the Acting Chief Procurement Officer​
Recommendations
The Acting Chief Procurement Officer recommends that the Bid Award Panel grant authority to award the following contract:

Solicitation Number:
Request for Proposal, Ariba Document Number 3722909802 and Contract Number R-TS-2022-C08-01 under Category 8 of the Prequalified Vendor Lists for the delivery of Professional Engineering and Architectural Consulting Services Request for Supplier Qualification Ariba Document Number 3279961432.​

And here you are...

Bid Award Panel consideration on December 21, 2022
BA6.10
ACTION​
Ward: 3, 4, 19, 20​
Award of Ariba Document Number 3722909802 to IBI Group Professional Services (Canada) Inc. for the Consult, Design, and Support Installation of a Bikeway Extension on the Bloor-Danforth-Kingston Corridor for Transportation Services
Origin
(December 13, 2022) Report from the Acting Chief Procurement Officer​
Recommendations
The Acting Chief Procurement Officer recommends that the Bid Award Panel grant authority to award the following contract:

Solicitation Number:
Request for Proposal, Ariba Document Number 3722909802 and Contract Number R-TS-2022-C08-01 under Category 8 of the Prequalified Vendor Lists for the delivery of Professional Engineering and Architectural Consulting Services Request for Supplier Qualification Ariba Document Number 3279961432.​

Not bad, what I promised on Tuesday, you deliver (proof of) on Friday!

Reactions: DSC
Why does a quick build cycling project need a bid like this?

Quick build? The Kingston Road intersection with Danforth will involve lots of major changes to infrastructure, and removing 2 lanes of suburban Kingston Road is being done in conjunction with road reconstruction/major resurfacing and pedestrian/streetscape improvements.

Not a small project.

Also, they haven't even started consultation yet which is concerning.

The consultation is being done in tandem with the design, both will go forward in the first 1/2 of 2023.

Will be so cool that hopefully soonish you can bike all the way from the northeast of Scarborough, to downtown and then up to north etobicoke without ever leaving a trail.

The utility of the trail system will come down to its amenities and maintenance. The Humber Valley trail system is impressive, but much of it has no night lighting. It can be confusing to navigate in the dark, even with a decent bike light. Not the least bit recommended. If a trail has no winter maintenance, you're also looking at a significant limitation in terms of its usability.

The utility of the trail system will come down to its amenities and maintenance. The Humber Valley trail system is impressive, but much of it has no night lighting. It can be confusing to navigate in the dark, even with a decent bike light. Not the least bit recommended. If a trail has no winter maintenance, you're also looking at a significant limitation in terms of its usability.

Absolutely agree, and I think that some trails are more akin to being for recreation like Humber, Don Valley, and others like the Hydro corridors, Beltline, Railpath, MGT, and Leaside Spur have potential to be used to actually get around. Those routes should have winter maintenance and be lit imo. (I know some already are)

Quick build? The Kingston Road intersection with Danforth will involve lots of major changes to infrastructure, and removing 2 lanes of suburban Kingston Road is being done in conjunction with road reconstruction/major resurfacing and pedestrian/streetscape improvements.

Not a small project.

The consultation is being done in tandem with the design, both will go forward in the first 1/2 of 2023.
There is no indication of a road resurfacing or reconstruction on Danforth or Kingston according to Toinview, the road looks like its in good condition, so it'll probably be "quick-build" as in lane marking removals, new markings and paint, and protected curbs. All the Bloor-Danforth bike lane extensions have been designed this way (except for the original section which will see Bathurst-Avenue raised cycle tracks.)

There is no indication of a road resurfacing or reconstruction on Danforth or Kingston according to Toinview, the road looks like its in good condition, so it'll probably be "quick-build" as in lane marking removals, new markings and paint, and protected curbs. All the Bloor-Danforth bike lane extensions have been designed this way (except for the original section which will see Bathurst-Avenue raised cycle tracks.)

With great respect. I know what I'm talking about, and you've been around long enough to know............

I've seen the preliminary design; and you have the phone numbers you need to confirm what I've said.

For the record: TO inview (public-facing) is wrong.

Yes, though it is a very useful source of info, TOInview is not 100% accurate (and some completed projects seem to linger there). The 2024 projects should be posted in the next few weeks, if they follow their past schedule. (Past Year, Current Year and Following Year)

With great respect. I know what I'm talking about, and you've been around long enough to know............

I've seen the preliminary design; and you have the phone numbers you need to confirm what I've said.

Well then, I'll keep my eye out. Scarborough really does need some love.

Back