News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 997     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Every street we add bike lanes to sees an increase in traffic to small businesses. How the hell are these people still making the same stupid untrue argument?

They live deep in the suburbs, drive to their store, and sometimes have no idea that their customers are not doing the same (driving to their store from deep in the suburbs).

Does anyone know why the lights along the Kay Gardiner portion of the Beltline stop abruptly at Lascelles?

In this 2013 report, it was highlighted that lighting should be installed along the length to the Allen
image.png

Would really be of a huge benefit for the whole trail to be lit. Its basically unusable after 4pm now.

Does anyone know why the lights along the Kay Gardiner portion of the Beltline stop abruptly at Lascelles?

In this 2013 report, it was highlighted that lighting should be installed along the length to the Allen
View attachment 438247

Would really be of a huge benefit for the whole trail to be lit. Its basically unusable after 4pm now.

I can't speak with any certainty as to why it hasn't been approved/prioritized in the west end (the eastern portion in the ravine will not get lighting as that is contrary to City policy for natural areas).

I do know some residents whose yards abut the trail had mixed feelings, as they didn't want light beaming into their homes all night, and many were also concerned about late night traffic behind their homes; though many residents also support lighting.

I know lighting is being discussed for the York Beltline improvements which are funded for next year, with engagement currently ongoing.

Currently, I don't see any line-item for lighting on the balance of the trail in the 10-year capital plan.

I do know some residents whose yards abut the trail had mixed feelings, as they didn't want light beaming into their homes all night, and many were also concerned about late night traffic behind their homes; though many residents also support lighting.

I mean that can be solved by using directional lighted bollards along the trail rather than street lights.

1668035564812.png

I mean that can be solved by using directional lighted bollards along the trail rather than street lights.

View attachment 438310

That's certainly a possibility.

The issue is varied, but there are portions of the corridor where the trail is above the elevation of bordering backyards which is a bit of a problem. But nothing that can't be resolved, if that's a priority.

On the York Beltline section I linked above, some homeowners requested the City pay for fencing/noisebarriers behind their yards; of course, that would eliminate any view, and possibly rear-yard access which be a feature to some.

You can see below, in this image looking west from Oriole Parkway, that the homes to the north are slightly above the trail; while the homes to the south are below it:

1668036033875.png

Who actually parks on the street in front of businesses? Does the business owner park there? Does the business employees use that parking space for their vehicles?

How are deliveries done with shopping mall stores? Do they park in front of the mall entrance, or in back of the store? Or do they go to a delivery area and use a dolly or flatbed to move the deliveries to the store.

Couldn't the delivery vehicles park in back or side streets and do the deliveries just as they do at the mall?

Every street we add bike lanes to sees an increase in traffic to small businesses. How the hell are these people still making the same stupid untrue argument?
The owner was interviewed on the news last night too. I was a little miffed that the reporter didn't challenge her "disaster" views as all other corridors where this has been done saw an up-tick. The good news is that this is a done deal and passed full council a while ago. The bad news is that the news councillor in the area wants to reopen the discussion and only have the bikes lanes as a one-year trial.

I remember when they built the Bloor lanes, the owner of Remenyi Music lamenting to the Star or someone that nobody comes to buy a piano on a bike. As if you could put a piano in the trunk of your car if you were able to park in front of the store.
piano%20bike.jpg
From link.

Who actually parks on the street in front of businesses? Does the business owner park there? Does the business employees use that parking space for their vehicles?
I mean to be honest, I do, depending on where. If it's not in the core or directly on a subway line I generally drive, especially when bringing my infant, and use street parking as I find it most convenient.

That being said, somewhere like North York Centre has ample residential side streets which could be used for street parking, rather than Yonge itself. It's also right along a higher order transit facility.

Back