News   May 03, 2024
 164     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 517     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Of course!

Bayview is generally way overbuilt for capacity, and could probably be reduced to 2 lanes if you had to, especially between the Bloor Access and Leaside.. but I just don't see the point as there is so much space in the valley that the auto capacity doesn't need to be sacrificed to achieve other goals.

As I said, I'd be amenable to changes. Even an at grade intersection would be acceptable, I just wouldn't want access removed entirely. An at grade intersection may need a double left turn lane to accommodate the volumes onto Bayview southbound though. And I maintain that it's just not a priority given the costs involved in reconfiguring it. There is so much fallow land in the don valley already that the city should be focusing on activating first before spending millions demolishing something that functions relatively fine.

Again Scarborough got nothing 😪

1616261717580.png

Again Scarborough got nothing 😪

View attachment 306918

Frustrating, I know.

If its any consolation, I expect Eglinton East from VP to Kennedy should have bike lanes by fall.

The jersey barriers are being removed and new curbs and sidewalks built, and bike lanes are in the design.

Though my recollection was that they were not physically separated.

From my read of the land, there is a near zero change of getting meaningful bike lanes through, at least on major roads, in Crawford, Thompson, Mantas or Lai's wards.

But I think there's some room for home in McKelvie and Ainslie's wards.

Though Pt. Union keeps getting delayed, and I don't remember if the Lawrence East lanes ever got done (east of Morningside).

Off-road, there should be progress on both the Meadoway and the Highland Creek Trail systems this year.

I'm pretty sure you've chatted with Becky Katz; if not, give her a call and talk about projects that might be able to be brought forward with a nudge.

Not sure if this has been posted here:

Register for the Virtual Public Meeting: Winona Drive Opens in new window scheduled for Monday, March 22, 2021, from 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 pm.
Fill out the feedback form Opens in new window (five minutes to complete) by April 5, 2021.

A report on alterations to Woodbine Avenue to speed traffic, while retaining the bike lanes is headed to the April 20th meeting of TEYCC.

One of the more interesting things here.............

Staff are NOT recommending the changes in their own report.

1617803695110.png

You just don't see that very often.

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-165417.pdf

Update on cycling infrastructure/ActiveTO motions at city hall.

Q2 Cycling Network Plan 2021 passes for the spring season, more bike lanes planned for summer and fall.

new bike lanes:
-Cummer Avenue (Leslie-Pineway)
-Brant Street (Richmond-Adelaide)
-Gladstone Avenue
-Dundas Street West (Kingsway off-ramp-Wimbleton)

Bike lane upgrades:

-Thorncliffe Park Drive
-Crescent Town Road
-Davenport Road (Yonge-Dupont)
-Richmond Street (two-way cycle track between Brant and Augusta)
-Harbord Street
-Birmingham Street

Intersection improvements:

-Danforth Ave/Royal Dr (DVP N on ramp)
-Ryding Ave/Cobalt Ave

ActiveTO installations:

-Yonge Street from Bloor Street to Davisville Avenue. (Will be similar to destination danforth with patios, streetscaping, cycle track etc.)

-Danforth Avenue from Dawes Road to Victoria Park Avenue (extension of existing Destination Danforth program east! thank you bradford)

-Bayview Avenue from River Street to Mill Street (to accommodate Lower Don trail closure)

ActiveTO road closures:

Lakeshore West closure options still being explored. Councillors and mayor are still supportive of closure even with Transportation expressing traffic concerns with KQQR construction. It's still likely although it might not be every weekend, or only using 1 or 2 lanes.

Road closures that are likely for ActiveTO weekend closures:

Lakeshore East (Leslie-Woodbine)
Bayview/River (Rosedale Valley-Mill Street)
(new)
Allen Road (Eglinton-Lawrence)
Black Creek Drive (Weston-Lawrence)

no word on Scarborough :(

Miscellaneous comments from councillors.

Councillor Wong-Tam passes motion to explore an open streets corridor on Bloor Danforth. Similar to what's been done in other cities where people take over the entire street.

Councillor Crawford states he isn't opposed of a bike lane extension of Danforth into Scarborough, but he doesn't think that this year should be the year. (I somewhat agree but it's good to know that it will happen eventually)

Councillor Minnan-Wong expresses again his hate for ActiveTO on Yonge and ActiveTO in general, He doesn't believe there are enough riders on Yonge to justify the bike lanes. But obviously you cannot judge the need for a bridge by how many people swim across the river.

Councillor Holyday also hates Yonge ActiveTO just as much. He even pushes for a motion to remove the ActiveTO program on Yonge, it did not pass.

Councillor Robinson is surprisingly concerned about shuttle buses on Yonge during ActiveTO, (even though they run on Danforth/Bloor just fine.) She even votes for a motion to remove it (It did not pass)

Mayor Tory is amazingly pumped about ActiveTO. Such a huge shift in his interest to get more space for people to walk and bike. That's just awesome.

Last edited:
Update on cycling infrastructure/ActiveTO motions at city hall.

Q2 Cycling Network Plan 2021 passes for the spring season, more bike lanes planned for summer and fall.

new bike lanes:
-Cummer Avenue (Leslie-Pineway)
-Brant Street
-Gladstone Avenue
-Dundas Street West (Kingsway off-ramp-Wimbleton)

Bike lane upgrades:

-Thorncliffe Park Drive
-Crescent Town Road
-Davenport Road (Yonge-Dupont)
-Richmond Street (two-way cycle track between Brant)
-Harbord Street
-Birmingham Street

Intersection improvements:

-Danforth Ave/Royal Dr (DVP N on ramp)
-Ryding Ave/Cobalt Ave

ActiveTO installations:

-Yonge Street from Bloor Street to Davisville Avenue. (Will be similar to destination danforth with patios, streetscaping, cycle track etc.)

-Danforth Avenue from Dawes Road to Victoria Park Avenue (extension of existing Destination Danforth program east! thank you bradford)

-Bayview Avenue from River Street to Mill Street (to accommodate Lower Don trail closure)

ActiveTO road closures:

Lakeshore West closure options still being explored. Councillors and mayor are still supportive of closure even with Transportation expressing traffic concerns with KQQR construction. It's still likely although it might not be every weekend, or only using 1 or 2 lanes.

Road closures that are likely for ActiveTO weekend closures:

Lakeshore East (Leslie-Woodbine)
Bayview/River (Rosedale Valley-Mill Street)
(new)
Allen Road (Eglinton-Lawrence)
Black Creek Drive (Weston-Lawrence)

no word on Scarborough :(

Miscellaneous comments from councillors.

Councillor Wong-Tam passes motion to explore an open streets corridor on Bloor Danforth. Similar to what's been done in other cities where people take over the entire street.

Councillor Crawford states he isn't opposed of a bike lane extension of Danforth into Scarborough, but he doesn't think that this year should be the year. (I somewhat agree but it's good to know that it will happen eventually)

Councillor Minnan-Wong expresses again his hate for ActiveTO on Yonge and ActiveTO in general, He doesn't believe there are enough riders on Yonge to justify the bike lanes. But obviously you cannot judge the need for a bridge by how many people swim across the river.

Councillor Holyday also hates Yonge ActiveTO just as much. He even pushes for a motion to remove the ActiveTO program on Yonge, it did not pass.

Councillor Robinson is surprisingly concerned about shuttle buses on Yonge during ActiveTO, (even though they run on Danforth/Bloor just fine.) She even votes for a motion to remove it (It did not pass)

Mayor Tory is amazingly pumped about ActiveTO. Such a huge shift in his interest to get more space for people to walk and bike. That's just awesome.
What about North York, Etobicoke, and Scarborough? They have arterial roads with extra-wide traffic lanes (for the "safety" of speeders doing ›100+ km/h) that could be reduced to width to match the posted speed limits and provide for segregated cycling lanes. They have reduced the posted speed limits from 60 km/h down to 50 km/h, but the traffic lane widths remain the same.

Anyone know what's going on with Adelaide cycle track moving to the north side of the street? It was supposed to happen last year, but with all the ActiveTO installations work wasn't done.

What about North York, Etobicoke, and Scarborough? They have arterial roads with extra-wide traffic lanes (for the "safety" of speeders doing ›100+ km/h) that could be reduced to width to match the posted speed limits and provide for segregated cycling lanes. They have reduced the posted speed limits from 60 km/h down to 50 km/h, but the traffic lane widths remain the same.
I agree with your sentiment but generally it seems that the people living in the burbs don't want bike lanes (are there survey numbers anywhere?). If that's true, let the downtown folks who want bike lanes have em all until the burbs complain loudly that they aren't getting their fair share of bike lanes (i.e. we deserve subways >>> we deserve bike lanes)

Anyone know what's going on with Adelaide cycle track moving to the north side of the street? It was supposed to happen last year, but with all the ActiveTO installations work wasn't done.

Unfortunately, that will only happen sometime next year. There's just a lot of work including watermain and streetcar track work.

so essentially 0 new substantial installations this year under the regular cycling program? What in the world is going on? Council is funneling money into the program and seemingly getting almost nothing back..

These are just the first installations of the year. There will be another batch of projects in summer, and another in the fall/winter. Expect more projects like these this year.

Winona Dr (contraflow),
Wellington St,
The Esplanade/Mill,
Rathburn (Martin Grove-East Mall)
College St Stub (Bellevue-Borden)
Monarch Park/Woodfield (Contraflow)
Victoria Park (Danforth-Donside)
St. Clair/O'Connor (protected intersection?)
and the Ellesmere Multi-use trail (Markham Rd - Military Trl)
Meadoway/Highland Creek Trail connections

and more we don't know yet
But yes I agree, it's a lot less than where we should be.

Unfortunately, that will only happen sometime next year. There's just a lot of work including watermain and streetcar track work.

These are just the first installations of the year. There will be another batch of projects in summer, and another in the fall/winter. Expect more projects like these this year.

Winona Dr (contraflow),
Wellington St,
The Esplanade/Mill,
Rathburn (Martin Grove-East Mall)
College St Stub (Bellevue-Borden)
Monarch Park/Woodfield (Contraflow)
Victoria Park (Danforth-Donside)
St. Clair/O'Connor (protected intersection?)
and the Ellesmere Multi-use trail (Markham Rd - Military Trl)
Meadoway/Highland Creek Trail connections

and more we don't know yet
But yes I agree, it's a lot less than where we should be.

St. Clair/O'Connor is removal of the channelized right-hand turn; and a small amount of bike lane along St. Clair Avenue East, (last I heard).

Victoria Park (Donside to Denton is essentially there now, painted, but not protected, but never 'official'); While I would love to see it extend to Danforth........

It would make more sense to extend it to Gerrard; alternations can be made, in my judgement, which will avoid traffic jams, through use of turn lanes.

Once you're touching the VP/Danforth intersection, it also would make incredible sense to connect the Danforth Bike lane (currently ends at Dawes). We shall see what this brings.

Back