News   May 01, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 303     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 349     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

From Becky Katz Twitter feed; Shuter's reconstruction is under way with new cycle tracks en route.

1594126242341.png

I understand the need to cross the 401 but I dont understand the desire to use Warden north of the 401, the abandoned hydro corridor continues after the 401 and seems like the perfect little corridor for a bike path.

View attachment 256151

I guess enbridge isnt cool about it.

Cycle tracks are well and good, and Id understand if there were serious points of interest along Warden, but its nice to get away from cars and traffic when making long commute style bikes.
No question that the Enbridge corridor would be a great alternative. I originally thought it was only ~6m wide, but upon further review right now, it's about ~13.5m wide - certainly wide enough for a multi-use trail.

Around 2013-2014 Enbridge replaced their gas main from Hwy 401 to Steeles Ave. During a construction consultation meeting in the summer of 2013 I asked an Enbridge representative about the possibility of a multi-use trail. Since they are digging the whole thing up, why not just throw some asphalt down on top instead of some grass? The rep. seemed cool to the idea but it would require the City to pay for the extra construction and design, as well as enter into a lease agreement and register an easement for public access (which is common for multi-use trails within Ontario Hydro-owned lands),

However, during the initial community engagement that took place in 2012, I was told that a multi-use trail was suggested but was opposed by the local councilors, primarily Norm Kelly, and the residents who back onto the corridor. It didn't seem like there was much support for a trail. I was living in Vancouver at the time and wasn't even aware of the project until after I moved back to Scarborough in June 2013 when the detailed designs were being finalized.

It's also unfortunate that when the hydro corridor south of the Finch Corridor was sold off to developers, that most of the new local streets are cul-de-sacs. There are a few sidewalk connections between the cul-de-sacs and parks, but overall a wasted opportunity for active transportation connectivity. It might be possible to build a few missing links through segments of the Enbridge corridor, but will need a supportive councilor. Right now there is no councilor until Jimmy K's seat is filled.

No question that the Enbridge corridor would be a great alternative. I originally thought it was only ~6m wide, but upon further review right now, it's about ~13.5m wide - certainly wide enough for a multi-use trail.

Around 2013-2014 Enbridge replaced their gas main from Hwy 401 to Steeles Ave. During a construction consultation meeting in the summer of 2013 I asked an Enbridge representative about the possibility of a multi-use trail. Since they are digging the whole thing up, why not just throw some asphalt down on top instead of some grass? The rep. seemed cool to the idea but it would require the City to pay for the extra construction and design, as well as enter into a lease agreement and register an easement for public access (which is common for multi-use trails within Ontario Hydro-owned lands),

However, during the initial community engagement that took place in 2012, I was told that a multi-use trail was suggested but was opposed by the local councilors, primarily Norm Kelly, and the residents who back onto the corridor. It didn't seem like there was much support for a trail. I was living in Vancouver at the time and wasn't even aware of the project until after I moved back to Scarborough in June 2013 when the detailed designs were being finalized.

It's also unfortunate that when the hydro corridor south of the Finch Corridor was sold off to developers, that most of the new local streets are cul-de-sacs. There are a few sidewalk connections between the cul-de-sacs and parks, but overall a wasted opportunity for active transportation connectivity. It might be possible to build a few missing links through segments of the Enbridge corridor, but will need a supportive councilor. Right now there is no councilor until Jimmy K's seat is filled.

NIMBYS!!!

Thanks for that insightful information, btw. I can't understand how someone would be against a multi use trail. Do these people think they live in a remote cottage in Muskoka?

I want to be an Ontario politician, simply so everytime Nimbys attack I can rezone the area for a diesel busway everytime a multi use trail is cancelled, a coal power plant every time a wind farm is poo poo'd, and a methadone clinic every time a homeless shelter looked down on.

^Nice
I always wondered how resistant those would in case of a car bashing into it. Looks like they are anchored into the ground?

The hydro corridor between Warden and Pharmacy will be used south of Hwy. 401. Cycle tracks will be along Warden north of Hwy 401. Crossing Hwy 401 will always be a challenge. There's no room on the Warden overpass for dedicated cycling lanes/tracks. If a new bridge were to be constructed, I would prefer a pedestrian / cycling bridge at Pharmacy. I would then have cycling lanes on Pharmacy rather than Warden.

Crossing the 401 along Warden is going to be hairy even with cycle tracks... I used to ride along Warden when heading home from downtown until I almost got killed by an 18 wheeler that cut me off as it was headed towards the Eastbound ramp to the 401... I had to crash my bike into the curb right in front of U-Haul after the fucking driver left me with only two options... get crushed by the rear wheels of the fucking trailer or crash into the curb. I suffered minor shoulder separation but still felt lucky to be alive. From then on I decided to take Birchmount on my northbound ride home... It is a lot safer since there is no ramps from Birchmount to the 401.

^Nice
I always wondered how resistant those would in case of a car bashing into it. Looks like they are anchored into the ground?

I’d say “somewhat resistant”; took less than a month for this to happen:

9E84003F-0277-4F20-9497-C8F66EAEADC6.jpeg

They’ve got the dividers up on Shaw now where the direction was switched. Paint, bike share station, and planters still to-come.

1F46888A-AB08-4472-A403-3E89600051C2.jpeg
80822E91-887B-40EC-9340-757416428BA4.jpeg
24AC5DB3-9162-426A-BB1C-86289BA779F2.jpeg

Back