News   May 01, 2024
 460     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 230     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 306     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Those concrete protections on Richmond sure are taking a while to install. They're amazing, dont get me wrong, but the whole thing is moving at a snail's pace.

Reactions: max
But why they keep calling them 'temporary' bike lanes? :confused:

Think of it like the word 'pilot' which was used for Bloor Street.

Thin edge of the wedge.

These aren't going anywhere.

But the design/layouts aren't permanent; they will be modified over time.

Some renders from the City of what the Danforth will look like after cycle tracks.

From Brad Bradford's Twitter:
1592500364370.png

1592500518271.png

Attachments

• 1592500402845.png
    1592500402845.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 260
Think of it like the word 'pilot' which was used for Bloor Street.

Thin edge of the wedge.

These aren't going anywhere.

But the design/layouts aren't permanent; they will be modified over time.

Then why not just call it "Pilot Bike Lanes" - like what they are calling for on Danforth, Bloor, etc. Temporary sounds like it will go away and there is no guarantee of replacement - at least nowhere to be seen in writing.

Then why not just call it "Pilot Bike Lanes" - like what they are calling for on Danforth, Bloor, etc. Temporary sounds like it will go away and there is no guarantee of replacement - at least nowhere to be seen in writing.

They’re called temporary because there is indeed a chance they go away, and there is no guarantee of replacement/permanence.

The city is just bending over backwards with the language in a desperate attempt to appease car drivers as usual.

They’re called temporary because there is indeed a chance they go away, and there is no guarantee of replacement/permanence.

Thanks for clarifying. As an earlier poster was saying that "these aren't going anywhere" but I haven't seen any documentation or writing from the city that guarantees anything in this regard.

Thanks for clarifying. As an earlier poster was saying that "these aren't going anywhere" but I haven't seen any documentation or writing from the city that guarantees anything in this regard.

Nothing is guaranteed.

The Bike Lanes on Pharmacy and Birchmount were 'permanent' but were removed.

I feel confident these lanes won't be taken away in this term of Council.

Barring some real shock. I can count votes.

You are correct. Earlier posts that advanced assumptions that these will be treated similarly to previous pilot projects are but prognostications.

Personally, I am more skeptical that any or all of these will remain post-pandemic; on a number of occasions since the temporary lanes were announced, City Staff, councillors, and the mayor have all gone to pretty great lengths to point out that a) these are temporary, b) the motion explicitly gave Barbara Grey the sole authority to remove them without a Council vote, and c) that they will all be reviewed in a year regardless.

Bloor west is the only of the recently approved lot that are definitely to be permanent (they were long planned and slated for installation this summer regardless), though I do think that the Danforth lanes stand the best chance of also being made permanent when it comes up for a vote.

From my understanding based on the last Council Meeting is that end of next year there will be vote on the ActiveTO projects which are e.g. cycle tracks on University and Bloor East.

" 11. City Council request the General Manager, Transportation Services to report back to the Infrastructure and Environment Committee in the fourth quarter of 2021 on the outcome and future recommendations regarding the ActiveTO cycling projects, following up-to a year of monitoring and evaluation. "

I don't see any indication that someone like Barbara Grey can decide on her own to stop those projects and rip implemented cycle tracks out.

Did I miss something?

Just rode on the new Dundas stretch, hard to say how much if effects traffic when both the 504 and the 501 are routing through there at the moment which of course throws everything off.

Back