News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 677     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

It's a good letter, but you'll just get the form response back from Ford. Also send it to Councillors Milczyn & Palacio as well, as they voted to install the lanes in 2009 and now may inexplicably vote to remove them, and also newbie Councillors Jaye Robinson & Gary Crawford.

This decision is being made on bad data. The form letter states that only 600 cyclists use Jarvis per day. This is garbage. It may have been true on a wet spring day but it's not true now. As well, the city insists on measuring bicycle usage by installing one strip on one block. Bicycle trips are often shorter than car trips, and if they choose the wrong block, they'll miss a lot of usage. They need to install about 3 strips between Bloor and King and then average the usage. I saw them measuring usage of the bike lanes on Sherbourne and they did the same thing, one strip in an area I rarely use.

Actually the letter states that only 600 additional cyclists use Jarvis. That is consistent with the numbers: 290 before, 890 after. However it is not consistent with Rob Ford's "promise" of "transparency". The letter is written with carefully deceitful wordings like that one, which send a message different than what they technically say. I expect that the vast majority of the people reading the letter will come to the conclusion that only 600 cyclists use Jarvis, and I'm absolutely certain that that was the intention.

As well, the letter states: "Over 15,000 commuters each day are suffering from longer travel times". Whoever wrote this letter (Ford is definitely not clever or eloquent enough to have done it) expects people to latch on to the "15000 commuters", and jump to the conclusion that 15000 people drive to work on Jarvis. By contrast, the actual report states "vehicle volumes remained approximately the same, averaging over 13,000 vehicles in both directions during this eight hour period.". The inconsistency between the report's and the letter's numbers could easily be claimed as a "typo". Even so, someone reading the letter would assume that 15000 drivers commute via Jarvis, when in fact it was 13000 car trips made during the "commuting period", which would be 6500 drivers assuming every single driver on Jarvis is driving to or from work during that 8hr period.

From then on, the letter refers to the "thousands" of commuters, encouraging readers to think back to the "15000 drivers" mentioned earlier. There are indeed thousands of drivers on Jarvis, but there is quite a difference between 6500 and 15000 of them, especially when one considers the actual number of bike trips (a figure notably covered up in the response letter), which was measured as nearly 1000, and is probably in excess of 1000 by now.

I would also comment on the sentence "Bike lanes were never intended to be installed on Jarvis Street." (What, a painter just dropped a bucket and they appeared?), but the explanation of what happened is followed, which is reasonable. All the aforementioned sentence does is let the reader know what conclusion should be drawn from the sentence explaining what happened. Notice that in my letter, I say the exact same thing, but through different wording I come to the opposite conclusion.

It's a good letter, but you'll just get the form response back from Ford. Also send it to Councillors Milczyn & Palacio as well, as they voted to install the lanes in 2009 and now may inexplicably vote to remove them, and also newbie Councillors Jaye Robinson & Gary Crawford.

I know I'll get a form letter. That's why my letter is just a reword of the form letter from a few post back.

Last edited:
^^ You expect Rob Ford to read? Who do you think he is?

When I e-mailed Ford about the Fort York bridge, he gave me a generic response as well. I know it's not possible to customise every message, but it would be nice to know that he's taking these views into consideration, instead of arguing against your points as he does in his responses.

^^ You expect Rob Ford to read? Who do you think he is?

Lol, no. I don't expect him to read it, any more than I believe he wrote the response.

I just wrote "thanks for reading" because I needed something to replace the "Thank you for your email" in the original form letter.

Last edited:
Actually the letter states that only 600 additional cyclists use Jarvis. That is consistent with the numbers: 290 before, 890 after.

...Even so, someone reading the letter would assume that 15000 drivers commute via Jarvis, when in fact it was 13000 car trips made during the "commuting period", which would be 6500 drivers assuming every single driver on Jarvis is driving to or from work during that 8hr period.

Hold on a minute, now you're skewing the argument in the other direction. You can't compare 13,000 car trips during just the 8 hour commuting period to 890 bikes all day. Furthermore, if you reduce 13,000 car trips to 6,500 people, then you should also be reducing 890 bike trips to 445 riders. And, the average number of people per car is not just 1, it's probably around 1.2.

What percent of trips are made during the commuting period, maybe 60%? In that case, for the 8 hour commuting period, you should be comparing 6500 cars (carrying 7,800 people) to an adjusted 270 cyclists. Or, on a daily basis, you could say an adjusted 10,830 cars (carrying 13,000 people) compared to 445 cyclists.

Edit: I didn't support the bike lanes until recently. Having experienced the Queen to Lakeshore disaster the other day first hand, I now think that bike lanes are the least of Jarvis's problems. To improve traffic flow north of Queen, I would start by making Jarvis a no stopping street in both directions during rush hour, and also ban left turns. As for the section south of Queen, the best solution is to use Church and head back over to Jarvis just north of the tracks!

Last edited:
The 13,000 car trips and ~900 cyclist trips are an apples-to-apples comparison; both only cover the eight hour peak period. All-day counts would be higher for both groups.

What's important, I think, is that the cycling count has tripled since the installation of the lanes whereas the automobile traffic has remained at the same level. The bike lanes have actually increased the utility of the road for commuters.

The 13,000 car trips and ~900 cyclist trips are an apples-to-apples comparison; both only cover the eight hour peak period. All-day counts would be higher for both groups.

What's important, I think, is that the cycling count has tripled since the installation of the lanes whereas the automobile traffic has remained at the same level. The bike lanes have actually increased the utility of the road for commuters.

Exactly. It's telling that they chose to imply that the numbers were 15000 vs 600, even though the report clearly states that the numbers are 13000 vs 900

Make sure your emails in support of the bike lanes are aggressive but not disrespectful. Even if Ford doesn't read them, you can always shake the confidence of his staff and maybe lower morale.

Hold on a minute, now you're skewing the argument in the other direction. You can't compare 13,000 car trips during just the 8 hour commuting period to 890 bikes all day. Furthermore, if you reduce 13,000 car trips to 6,500 people, then you should also be reducing 890 bike trips to 445 riders. And, the average number of people per car is not just 1, it's probably around 1.2.

True, I forgot to reduce 890 bike trips to 445 riders, and I forgot to multiply the number of cars by 1.2 to get passengers. My mistake.

Both figures are for the 8hr period only, so I don't need to reduce the cycling number to compensate. Unlike Rob Ford, the city's transport services actually do fair comparisons.

What percent of trips are made during the commuting period, maybe 60%? In that case, for the 8 hour commuting period, you should be comparing 6500 cars (carrying 7,800 people) to an adjusted 270 cyclists. Or, on a daily basis, you could say an adjusted 10,830 cars (carrying 13,000 people) compared to 445 cyclists

100% of the trips made during the 8 hr "commuting period" are made during the 8 hr "commuting period". No adjustment needed.

Now, if we feel like estimating stuff, we can use a made up 60% figure to estimate the number of actual humans that will be affected.

If we assume commuters make up 60% of trips taken during the "commuting period" and we assume two trips per person, then the number of commuting people should be 30% of the number of trips. That goes for both cycling and driving.
So we get 3900 commuting cars and 270 commuting bicycles.
Then you multiply the driving number by 1.2 to account for passengers.
So roughly 4860 car occupants and 270 cyclists are affected by the removal of bike lanes.

Perhaps a Ryerson or UofT urban studies class will do an assignment next fall when Mayor Ford is rather less popular than he is now, and measure usage of the Jarvis bike lanes. Perhaps the much higher usage numbers found then will convince the city not to waste money taking out the lanes. We can only hope.

^ After the Sherbourne physically separated lanes are built... i.e. Never. Jarvis is staying put. This is just political posturing.

^ After the Sherbourne physically separated lanes are built... i.e. Never. Jarvis is staying put. This is just political posturing.

That's not so. Minnan-Wong did an end run around that particular resolution, and the Jarvis lanes will come out while the Sherbourne plan is still going through the motions. Jonathan Goldsbie made that point in the Post yesterday

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/0...-panel-sound-and-fury-over-jarvis-bike-lanes/

The political posturing is about separated bike lanes, not killing Jarvis, I think.

Back