News   Apr 25, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Just an asside id like to vent that I live in the area of this "trail" I highlighted and I can tell you its complete BS. Not only on a large part of this "trail" are bikes banned, and there are massive stairs, but the section from Bayview to Sunnybrook is completely overgrown and inaccessible.
View attachment 191110

It just peeves me that the city thinks this is a bikable infrastructure, trail or not.

Indeed, it's a great hiking trail, but completely inaccessible for bikes.

I think the Bathurst crossing is a big pain point for this. Despite being a "pilot project" the city did a permanent rebuild of the Bathurst & Adelaide intersection to make room for a right side bike lane. Now the city needs to move it to the left side, and the waiting space on the west side of Bathurst isn't quite compatible with that.
No, the report addressed that the intersection will not require a reconstruction, just some repainting.

Adelaide East is scheduled for resurfacing from Jarvis to the DVP this summer, I imagine they will shift the lanes in conjunction with the line painting for that.

That map of Etobicoke is pathetic even with the "new, renew, and study" portions included.

Seriously, especially so since the suburbs have plenty of road space that could be used to easily and cheaply create separated bike lanes with no effect on car traffic, unlike the tighter spaces downtown.

What's the excuse?

That map of Etobicoke is pathetic even with the "new, renew, and study" portions included.

I'm also very disappointed to see nothing in the plans to cross the GO Barrie Line (CN Newmarket Subdivision) or the 401 in the York/North York areas. There's nothing in the Downsview Park area to get cyclists anywhere, except to York University.

There's also nothing for north-south travel in most of Scarborough.

in York would love to know what they are doing with
- St Marks Road (very steep hill). Any point with bike lanes going up it (I would be very impressed if anyone hasn't stopped part way up).
- St Marks & Humbercrest. How will they keep this a 2 way stop? (needed as vehicles going up the hill may have difficulty in the winter if there was a 4 way stop

Etobicoke
- I wish they could continue the route on Anglesey right to Royal York. So that when Humbertown is under construction we could avoid it
- happy about the Martin Grove extension all the way to Kipling Stn
- wish they make the Edgehill/Royal York trail down to the Humber valley bike friendly.

If they made a few of these changes then a
Rathburn - Anglesey - Humber valley - St Marks - Humbercrest - Baby Point - Annette - Dupont
would be a great east-west connection in the west end

No, the report addressed that the intersection will not require a reconstruction, just some repainting.

Adelaide East is scheduled for resurfacing from Jarvis to the DVP this summer, I imagine they will shift the lanes in conjunction with the line painting for that.

The current configuration has a dedicated green for cyclist with no right on red for northbound Bathurst vehicles. If you watch the infrastructures use you will see it would be better served by a lane on the north side of Adelaide as currently the majority of cyclists crossing Bathurst wait in a protected queue on the south west corner. With paint and a left side bike lane the queue would start further up into the bike bay. Tbh I think they need to make the bike lines crossing Bathurst the entire width of the roadway and have the bike lane narrow to the normal track width 50-75m down the roadway. That’s basically what happens now when the weather is nice.

I was riding the Gatineau Hydro Corridor trail this past weekend for the first time this year and the trail is closed between Crockford Blvd and Birchmount. Does anyone know why? Was there a washout where it crosses Massey Creek? The signage wasn't very good but it tells you to detour via Bertrand and Birchmount. Any idea how long the detour is supposed to be there for?

I know people here are more interested in on street bike lanes, but man if they could just complete this section of the Humber trail, it would be huge. Its such a tiny thing and it would complete the trail from Steeles to old mill rd.

I know people here are more interested in on street bike lanes, but man if they could just complete this section of the Humber trail, it would be huge. Its such a tiny thing and it would complete the trail from Steeles to old mill rd.

View attachment 191652

From the report:

Humber Trail•A multi-use trail exists, with an on-street section and gap, from the Waterfront Trail to Steeles Ave W (25 km)
.•The feasibility study of the Mid-Humber Gap is currently underway; with an Environmental Assessment planned in 2020 (600 m)

From the report:

Humber Trail•A multi-use trail exists, with an on-street section and gap, from the Waterfront Trail to Steeles Ave W (25 km)
.•The feasibility study of the Mid-Humber Gap is currently underway; with an Environmental Assessment planned in 2020 (600 m)

So no progress on this front (not even on the studies) despite being identified as a "short term priority" in the Bikeways Trails Implementation Plan (initiated in 2011), and listed in the Implementation Plan for the year 2016. I recall there also used to be a page set up for this in the cycling projects section of the city's web site, which has since been removed. What the hell has the city been up to all these years?

So no progress on this front (not even on the studies) despite being identified as a "short term priority" in the Bikeways Trails Implementation Plan (initiated in 2011), and listed in the Implementation Plan for the year 2016. I recall there also used to be a page set up for this in the cycling projects section of the city's web site, which has since been removed. What the hell has the city been up to all these years?

View attachment 191661

View attachment 191654

The suburban automobile-addicated councillors prefer ZERO bicycle infrastructure. They have been doing so for decades.

Back