News   Apr 25, 2024
 354     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

The first, and typically main report that seeks to authorize this year's Bike Plan infrastructure projects is heading to next week's Infrastructure and Environment Ctte.

From the above:

View attachment 387042
View attachment 387043

The Active TO Bike lanes on Yonge (Bloor to Davisville) and Bayview would be extended for another year to 2023 before being the subject of a report on permanency.

So this item was before committee today.........

It passed..............with amendments.

So far as I can tell, none are harmful, and some are good.

- The Yonge Street lanes were the subject of two amendments passed, one was to request vehicle turning lanes where possible; the other was for the TTC to report to Council directly when this comes before Council on April 6 on any impacts on shuttle service during
line closures.

- Councillor Peruzza got an amendment requesting a report on extending the Sentinel improvements all the way to York U.

- Councillor Layton had this long series about College St. primarily:

1648579751029.png

This is also from Mike Layton......I can't quite figure out what its asking to be frank:

1648579828671.png

Finally Cllr. Pasternak also wanted more cycling infra:

1648579881756.png

There are NIMBYs against cycling...

Midtown neighbourhood groups ask city to remove bike lanes

From link.

Multiple neighbourhood groups in Midtown Toronto are asking the City to end the pilot project that put bike lanes on the stretch down Yonge Street between Bloor Street and Davisville Avenue.

The Midtown Complete Street pilot saw protected bike lanes installed on both sides of the street, temporary expanded patios for restaurants and “artistic curb extensions” that were intended to improve pedestrian safety at intersections.

It was completed in July 2021 and the pilot project is expected to end April 30, 2022.

At the Infrastructure and Environment Comittee meeting Tuesday, the committee approved the motion. It will now go before city council for approval.

Ahead of meeting Tuesday, a group of concerned Midtown residents, called BeRationalTO, asked the City to end it immediately.

City staff have recommended extending the project until July 31, 2023. In a report, staff say preliminary data found a significant increase in cycling trips and a reduction in vehicle speeds along with support for local businesses due to the increase in CaféTO patios.

As for travel times along Yonge Street, the City found travel times increased by 30 seconds during peak periods in the morning and afternoon, and increased to 102 seconds midday.

Community consultation conducted by the City found that feedback ranged from support for the project to improved safety and experience for those walking and cycling, to requests to remove the bike lanes due to vehicle congestion and increased travel times.

BeRationalTO said the feedback they have received from various residents and businesses is that “the project has disrupted neighbourhoods and businesses that rely on the safe and smooth flow of traffic on Yonge Street.”

Deborah Briggs, the president of Summerhill Residents Association, one of the groups involved in BeRationalTO, said while some residents argued “passionately” to keep the bike lanes, the overall reaction was negative.

“Our area is locked in by the rail tracks to the south, the ravine to the east, and the escarpment to the north, and relies exclusively on access from Yonge Street,” Briggs said.

“A year of evidence and lived experience by residents along this stretch of Yonge Street has made it clear the pilot is ill-conceived and brings together too many projects, including ActiveTO’s bike lanes, CaféTO’s patios, more street parking and traffic ornaments and obstacles, into too congested a space to accommodate it all,” added long-time Cottingham Square resident Andrea Alexander in a release.

As of a part of the staff report, the City said they will be making signal changes to improve traffic congestion and will continue consultation with residents and businesses if the pilot moves forward.

During the meeting, city councillor for University-Rosedale, Mike Layton said, “There’s been a strong move towards Vision Zero but not moving forward on the cycling plan would be the exact opposite direction than the council priority. ”

“Change is hard, people experience these changes differently. Some people that may have relied heavily on their automobile or multiple short trips a day within the neighbourhood may experience the street differently than someone who used to dread that leg of their cycling journey because of just how dangerous that stretch of the road was on Yonge,” said Layton.

He added the concerns of the neighbourhood groups are valid and they will be addressed but removing the bike lanes is not the solution.

The city needs to elect pro-cycling, pro-transit, pro-pedestrian councillors. Not just for the City of Toronto, but the surrounding cities all around Ontario. Remember that it was the anti-cyclist councillors who removed the Jarvis Street and Brimley Road cycling lanes, because of NIMBY complaints (most likely "complaint", singular).

They forget that the biggest cause of traffic congestion is the single-occupant automobile.

Last edited:
In before W.K.Lis, we also need this

(Don't worry W.K.Lis, you can still post those bike ramp up stairs thingys)
Haha we definitely need this! I used to bike from Bloor to Finch on Yonge almost daily, and the highway + the hills on this section were the worst part.

Haha we definitely need this! I used to bike from Bloor to Finch on Yonge almost daily, and the highway + the hills on this section were the worst part.
1212398726_8aae3e4bf1_h.jpg
From link.

Yonge Boulevard used to continue over the Don Valley using the viaduct. Used by motor vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, and horses. When they built the 401, they took over the viaduct for half the highway, and in the process banned pedestrians, cyclists, and horses.

1212398726_8aae3e4bf1_h.jpg
From link.

Yonge Boulevard used to continue over the Don Valley using the viaduct. Used by motor vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, and horses. When they built the 401, they took over the viaduct for half the highway, and in the process banned pedestrians, cyclists, and horses.

WHAT! Me and my horse are outraged!

For many of you who have followed my posts on Cycling infra o'er the years you'll be familiar w/the name Owen McGaughey.

He's been a member of the City's Cycling unit for a number of years now and is kind enough to enthusiastically post pictures of the various projects he has worked on at every stage of the process.

So there's a somewhat sad news, really good news thing happening....

He's shifting roles within Transportation:

1649455121052.png

1649455140829.png

I certainly wish Owen well; but more than that, I think its promising staff with his passion for active transportation are moving up the hierarchy and will have increasing influence on how the department prioritizes in the years ahead.

For many of you who have followed my posts on Cycling infra o'er the years you'll be familiar w/the name Owen McGaughey.

He's been a member of the City's Cycling unit for a number of years now and is kind enough to enthusiastically post pictures of the various projects he has worked on at every stage of the process.

So there's a somewhat sad news, really good news thing happening....

He's shifting roles within Transportation:

View attachment 391353

View attachment 391354

I certainly wish Owen well; but more than that, I think its promising staff with his passion for active transportation are moving up the hierarchy and will have increasing influence on how the department prioritizes in the years ahead.

Don't be tempted by the dark side, my young apprentice.

Back