News   Apr 25, 2024
 298     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 950     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 993     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I propose people do as I do..........never order anything from Amazon, ever ( I never have)
When I drive north from near Danforth to (say) Ikea to buy one thing, I'm taking just about as much space as the Amazon delivery truck - that has many more than one or two items on it.

(though to tell the truth the last time I went to Ikea at Leslie, I took the Don Mills Road bus ... but that's the first time I've taken transit to that Ikea in a decade)!

Amazon is many things - but Amazon delivery surely reduces congestion, with less car trips made for shopping.

When I drive north from near Danforth to (say) Ikea to buy one thing, I'm taking just about as much space as the Amazon delivery truck - that has many more than one or two items on it.

(though to tell the truth the last time I went to Ikea at Leslie, I took the Don Mills Road bus ... but that's the first time I've taken transit to that Ikea in a decade)!

Amazon is many things - but Amazon delivery surely reduces congestion, with less car trips made for shopping.

Unlike Amazon, I have bought from Ikea; though, I think the last time would be..............6 years ago......

The Bloor bike lanes are ridiculous and should be removed between sherbourne and Spadina. Traffic just crawls.
No.

It takes time for people to change their behavior, and, we should realize that driving isn’t the be-all and end-all of transportation through the city.

Your anecdote reminds me of the one (and only) time I took an Uber down Broadway in Manhattan from the 40s. That was an incredibly painful experience. I realized very quickly that that driving was not the right way to traverse that part of the city - and never would be.

There was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to rethink Dundas Street when Regent Park was being redeveloped. I agree that the streetcar tracks should have been realigned, with a centre turn lane, like there is in front of Maple Leaf Gardens.

That would have permitted much smoother traffic and allowed for bike lanes.

Sadly that opportunity was squandered.

The DVP is easily accessed from River Street/Bayview Avenue; removing the Dundas on-ramp would eliminate the need to revise the bridge over the Don. But you would need a left turn lane to River, and probably an advance turn signal.

The Bloor bike lanes are ridiculous and should be removed between sherbourne and Spadina. Traffic just crawls.
Roads in winter would made for people and horses.
tumblr_inline_p1e95hxdbT1qek7q0_500.gifv
From link.

The bike lanes from Sackville to the DVP are far too wide. I’ve often seen cars driving down the bike lanes, likely due to Murphy’s Law, since a car fits the lane. The bike lanes should be narrows to the more common 1 m or so width. This may allow a WB right turn lane onto the DVP. But EB, there is no way to have a left turn lane.
Yeah, there's certainly a lot of width to work with for the permanent design and I'm very curious to see what is proposed. As much as I love wide bike lanes, they shouldn't be as inviting to cars as they are now. I'd especially like to see some allowance for better cyclist left turn infrastructure across the streetcar tracks. I had the unfortunate experience of getting my tire caught in tracks on a rainy September evening which resulted in a lingering shoulder injury.

Limiting the DVP on-ramps to Eastern Ave. only makes a lot of sense. I'm sure it would annoy a few people to lose the Dundas and Queen ramps, but probably not many who actually live in the area.

Limiting the DVP on-ramps to Eastern Ave. only makes a lot of sense. I'm sure it would annoy a few people to lose the Dundas and Queen ramps, but probably not many who actually live in the area.
My vote is to delete the DVP on ramps entirely at Dundas and Queen. These are now progressively urban, pedestrian and cyclist heavy spots and have drivers intent on making a fast right or left turn so to maximize highway-merging acceleration makes no sense here. There are no off ramps at Dundas or Queen, so clearly motorists can do without them on the return trip. Instead, improve the junction at Lakeshore to allow left turns onto to DVP (currently not allowed) with a long left-turn-only-on-arrow signal to protect cyclists on the Martin Goodman Trial.

In addition homebound commuters will still have the on ramps at Eastern, Bayview, Bloor and O’Connor.

There was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to rethink Dundas Street when Regent Park was being redeveloped. I agree that the streetcar tracks should have been realigned, with a centre turn lane, like there is in front of Maple Leaf Gardens.
Are you referring to the access to the DVP from Dundas? It's a fair ways east of the Regent redevelopment - 300 metres east of River, and east of the Don, on the bridge embankment.

Though there was no major work on Dundas or on the tracks that I recall. If I remember correctly there was a big rebuild of not only the tracks around 2005/06 or so, but also of the underlying track bed as well. That would have been the time for major work. They likely won't need to do that again until 2050 or so ... though the track itself should be due for renewal sometime in the 2020s or early 2030s.

I think that was the plan. Force cars to crawl so that they can‘t cause harm and encourage their drivers to go elsewhere or leave the car at home. Whenever I need to go onto Bloor I either walk, bike share or take the TTC. I don’t think I’ve driven on Bloor in years.

I think that was the plan. Force cars to crawl so that they can‘t cause harm and encourage their drivers to go elsewhere or leave the car at home. Whenever I need to go onto Bloor I either walk, bike share or take the TTC. I don’t think I’ve driven on Bloor in years.
Me either, but when I do drive...the bike lanes need to go.

Single-occupant motor vehicles are the main cause of traffic congestion. If they occupy the same real estate as a bicycle, maybe they will be acceptable.

picoftheday0012-space-60people.jpg
From link.

I do drive, and the bike lanes shall stay, and they shall build more.

Also arguing that the city shouldn't build infrastructure because you won't use it even though it will greatly benefit others is generally a bad mindset.

Last edited:

Back