News   Apr 26, 2024
 179     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 432     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Much welcomed addition, though they need to fix some sewer gates that are smack in the middle of the Yonge bike lanes, and a solid inch and a half sunk into the ground. That is a hazard if you're not paying attention.
Don't forget that the suburban anti-cyclist councillors will not want to spend a cent on improving the bike lanes (moving the sewer grates out of the bicycle path and into to separation). Just look at the stink they raised with just painting lines.

Much welcomed addition, though they need to fix some sewer gates that are smack in the middle of the Yonge bike lanes, and a solid inch and a half sunk into the ground. That is a hazard if you're not paying attention.
There is a more general problem of sunken 'man-hole covers' and valves in bike lanes all over the City. If the City took cycling seriously, they would do a check every year of all bike lanes/cycle tracks and deal with these small (but dangerous) problems in a concerted way. My 'favourite' is a badly sunken Toronto Hydro manhole on Adelaide just east of Yonge - I have reported in a couple of times but ...

Last edited:
There is a more general problem of sunken 'man-hole covers' and valves in bike lanes all over the City. If the City took cycling seriously, they would do a check every year of all bike lanes/cycle tracks and deal with these small (but dangerous) problems in a concerted way. My 'favourite' is a badly sunken Toronto Hydro manhole on Adelaide just east of Yonge - I have reported in a coupe of times but ...

The City needs to fit out an equivalent to the streeview cars, but that point sensors downward and identify, with GPS coordinates, pot holes/serious cracks/uneven surfaces.

Last edited:
From the posted vid, the Yonge bike lanes are too narrow... I wouldn't feel safe passing a slower cyclist on those lanes. They should have made the lanes at least as wide as those on Richmond.

From the posted vid, the Yonge bike lanes are too narrow... I wouldn't feel safe passing a slower cyclist on those lanes. They should have made the lanes at least as wide as those on Richmond.

I agree they are too narrow, and need additional buffering too.

But, I think its important to remember we're at the pilot stage, tweaking is very much possible.

This year's version also had to allow for CafeTO pretty much along the entire stretch w/Restos not allowed indoor dining.

I expect a permanent version will have considerably less space for patios though will likely preserve some.

There was also an extraordinary amount of turning lanes allowed for, some of it is needed, I think this is probably overkill, but I imagine staff didn't want traffic jams causing a retreat.

That said, make sure and share your input with Becky Katz.

I am a very amateur cyclist and felt totally comfortable with the width of the lanes and buffer. And to be honest, I didn't pass a single other cyclist during my ride along the entire stretch, so passing wasn't really a concern. Let's see how busy it gets during commute times or Saturday afternoons.

With the sewer grates in the cycling lanes, as the roadway ages, we can expect to see potholes and sinkholes develop around the sewer grates. Effectively narrowing the cycling lane even more.

eroded_sewer_grates_jardrivers.jpeg
From link.

With the sewer grates in the cycling lanes, as the roadway ages, we can expect to see potholes and sinkholes develop around the sewer grates. Effectively narrowing the cycling lane even more.

eroded_sewer_grates_jardrivers.jpeg
From link.
Which is exactly why the Cycling folk at the City need to ensure bike lanes and tracks get enhanced repair service. As far as I can tell, the road repair folk treat all parts of the road with equal importance but a pot-hole or a sunken utility cover that might 'annoy' a motorist could kill a cyclist.

UPDATE: I emailed Becky Katz at the City just after I posted the above and she responded very fast with this bit of good news! "They [cycling maintenance team] have a new bikeway patrol team who is still learning what issues to flag, so your email is very helpful.

Last edited:
I rode these last night from Eglinton (or wherever they started) to Bloor. There are a few issues I noticed, although generally I was very pleased to have this as an option.

The first big issue, is that the markings can be very confusing, especially at dusk. There are a few points you're coming down a hill and the arrows are telling you to go straight when really you need to veer left to go around a patio. As someone else said, this is a temporary issue; but given most will be using these lanes this summer while CafeTO is a thing, it's bound to cause some issues.

The second, and possibly more dangerous issue, is when you're coming down the hill from St. Clair to ~Ramsden Park, there are probably 4-6 instances where there is a very tight path to the right of the pilons and to the left of whatever patio is set up.. in some cases it felt quite dangerous, especially when you can very quickly pick up speed going down that hill. I can definitely see some riders on bike share bikes (heavy, not always the best braking) underestimating how tight those "corners" are and getting into trouble.

Agree that the patio turns can be very sharp. There's one on Bloor near Ossington that I've almost wiped out on more than once
You should contact 311 or CafeTO.

For questions about the program:
Email:
cafeto@toronto.ca

To make a complaint about a non-compliant restaurant or request enforcement.
Telephone:
TTY: 416-338-0TTY (0889)
Email: 311@toronto.ca

MM35.4
ACTION​
Ward: 10, 11​
Completing The Missing Link and Building the East Toronto Railpath - by Councillor Mike Layton, seconded by Councillor Joe Cressy

See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.MM35.4

Councillor Mike Layton, seconded by Councillor Joe Cressy, recommends that:

1. City Council request the City Manager to evaluate the potential to purchase the rail path lands and 'Half-Mile Bridge' from Metrolinx along with an adjacent property above Nesbitt Drive to create the East Toronto Railpath and report back to City Council as needed, or before June 2022.

2 Should Metrolinx be unwilling to sell the property, City Council direct the City Manager to instead attempt to enter into a lease agreement for public access and improvements and report back to City Council as needed, and before June 2022.

3. City Council request the City Manager to instruct the appropriate staff to strike a working group once negotiations over the use of the property are concluded to help develop the East Toronto Railpath in consultation with the local Councillors for the areas in discussion.

MM35.4
ACTION​
Ward: 10, 11​
Completing The Missing Link and Building the East Toronto Railpath - by Councillor Mike Layton, seconded by Councillor Joe Cressy

See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.MM35.4

Councillor Mike Layton, seconded by Councillor Joe Cressy, recommends that:

1. City Council request the City Manager to evaluate the potential to purchase the rail path lands and 'Half-Mile Bridge' from Metrolinx along with an adjacent property above Nesbitt Drive to create the East Toronto Railpath and report back to City Council as needed, or before June 2022.

2 Should Metrolinx be unwilling to sell the property, City Council direct the City Manager to instead attempt to enter into a lease agreement for public access and improvements and report back to City Council as needed, and before June 2022.

3. City Council request the City Manager to instruct the appropriate staff to strike a working group once negotiations over the use of the property are concluded to help develop the East Toronto Railpath in consultation with the local Councillors for the areas in discussion.

Bizarre.

Not a good use of time or funds.

An isolated walking path directly below the DVP; which obstructs future utility for rail and is parallel to an existing path only 100M away ...........

The 1/2 mile bridge segment and points west do offer some opportunities as they connect to the Brickworks and provide some spectacular views; and the bridge would need to be rebuilt for rail purposes anyway, so incorporating a trail option into that project would be sensible enough.

The rest reads as an awkward attempt to stifle the Mx train storage proposal.

Back