News   May 10, 2024
 470     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 533     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 817     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I have had positive things to say here about Becky Katz; Toronto's Manager of Cycling and Pedestrian Infrastructure.

Here is a good example of why............she posted on her Twitter, about her bike ride yesterday.

1597587506835.png

She's out, on her own time, enjoying herself, but checking out every inch of Toronto's cycling infrastructure.

I think its a real positive when any manager or executive is out checking out how things really work in the real world and discerning what they are proud of; and what needs work.

Also, if you read her descriptions, its rather clear she's thoroughly into to Toronto (she's from Atlanta) and that passion is just great to see.

I've been really exploring the hydro corridors recently and while they are excellent cycling routes, there are a few gaps that still need to be filled. For instance, I did Finch yesterday and was dumped out a few 100 m east of ON-400 in an industrial area. Curious if there are any plans to bridge or tunnel that to continue the cycling corridor further west (and to connect with the Humber River system).

I've been really exploring the hydro corridors recently and while they are excellent cycling routes, there are a few gaps that still need to be filled. For instance, I did Finch yesterday and was dumped out a few 100 m east of ON-400 in an industrial area. Curious if there are any plans to bridge or tunnel that to continue the cycling corridor further west (and to connect with the Humber River system).

Unfortunately while it is on the plans, not in priority, but they are definitely filling in a lot of the sections now. That connection might actually never get built, because they are building bike lanes for the Finch LRT, and they might see that as "good enough". Crossing the 400 will be very expensive.

Heres the 2016 bikeway plan, you can see what they are planning. I painted in red whats already been done since 2016.

2016 bikeways plan (1).png

Unfortunately while it is on the plans, not in priority, but they are definitely filling in a lot of the sections now. That connection might actually never get built, because they are building bike lanes for the Finch LRT, and they might see that as "good enough". Crossing the 400 will be very expensive.

Heres the 2016 bikeway plan, you can see what they are planning. I painted in red whats already been done since 2016.

View attachment 263600
There could have been an opportunity with the new bike lanes on Finch, however, between Weston and Oakdale/Norfinch there will not be any bike lanes. Instead there will be a multi-use trail on the south side. It will supposedly be grade-separated from the EB to SB on-ramp. The downside is the existing sidewalk on the north side will be removed, meaning all pedestrians and cyclists in both directions will be on the same trail utilizing the existing sidewalk on the southside under Hwy 400 - a narrow pinch-point. Any chance of it being widened was gone when the Hwy 400 decks were recently replaced at the same length.

There could have been an opportunity with the new bike lanes on Finch, however, between Weston and Oakdale/Norfinch there will not be any bike lanes. Instead there will be a multi-use trail on the south side. It will supposedly be grade-separated from the EB to SB on-ramp. The downside is the existing sidewalk on the north side will be removed, meaning all pedestrians and cyclists in both directions will be on the same trail utilizing the existing sidewalk on the southside under Hwy 400 - a narrow pinch-point. Any chance of it being widened was gone when the Hwy 400 decks were recently replaced at the same length.

Sorry, I meant a trail next to Finch, as opposed to the trail in the hydro corridor crossing highway 400 as shown in the bikeway map

2016 bikeways plan (3).png

dotted purple was proposed, red that I added is probably what we are getting.

I just dont see them building a bike bridge over the 400 when a bike trail will exist on Finch nearby.

Don't know if this belongs here but this does seem to be a GTA forum more than anything (heck we have posts on Kitchener and Ottawa and North Bay).

Mississauga has completed a very nice bike trail using a hydro corridor called the Nine Creeks Trail, but its not showing up on Google Maps yet.

1597675780729.jpeg

Any idea how to get Google to update?

Sorry, I meant a trail next to Finch, as opposed to the trail in the hydro corridor crossing highway 400 as shown in the bikeway map

View attachment 263806

dotted purple was proposed, red that I added is probably what we are getting.

I just dont see them building a bike bridge over the 400 when a bike trail will exist on Finch nearby.

I was referring to the same thing. There will be a multi-use trail on the south side of Finch. See the post below from the Finch West LRT thread. Your red line is the green line on the map, which is what has been designed along Finch. It will be bi-directional for pedestrians and cyclists and will use that sidewalk shown in the first image.

In a perfect world there would be a pedestrian/cyclist bridge over Hwy 400 in the hydro corridor.

Here's the "before" picture of the Finch and 400 intersection (from link)...
View attachment 258996
View attachment 258995
Note the width of the medium. You can't get two light-rail tracks running down it. Compare with the design...
1595366432184-png.258583

I was referring to the same thing. There will be a multi-use trail on the south side of Finch. See the post below from the Finch West LRT thread. Your red line is the green line on the map, which is what has been designed along Finch. It will be bi-directional for pedestrians and cyclists and will use that sidewalk shown in the first image.

In a perfect world there would be a pedestrian/cyclist bridge over Hwy 400 in the hydro corridor.

ehhh its 'good enough' in my books.

Especially if they do the 2nd portion that connects it to the Humber Trail.

Any idea how to get Google to update?

In this summer of riding many hydro corridors and ravine trails, I've also come to learn the impediment that golf courses are to a fully realized trail system.

Golf courses in the city are a waste of space more broadly, in my humble opinion.

I’m generally liking the new Bloor bike lanes through Bloorcourt (my area). They’re not finished yet but my only suggestion is that more side street space be allocated exclusively for servicing and logistic support (Loading servicing zones) for the Bloor Street commercial buildings versus street parking.

I’ve posted concern about the bike lanes in previous posts to balance out the discussion; however, I think areas of concern I suggested are being cancelled out by general trends:
-legacy area businesses are going to go under anyways due to market conditions and technological disruption
-diversity of neighbourhood businesses will decline anyways due to technological disruption
-An increase in deliveries and servicing vehicles can be accommodated by more emphasis on loading zones on side streets as I mentioned
-Areas with restricted vehicle traffic and high concentrations of bike lanes are becoming less and leas affordable anyways so inflationary pressures are affordable locally as affluence increases

I have had positive things to say here about Becky Katz; Toronto's Manager of Cycling and Pedestrian Infrastructure.

Here is a good example of why............she posted on her Twitter, about her bike ride yesterday.

View attachment 263490

She's out, on her own time, enjoying herself, but checking out every inch of Toronto's cycling infrastructure.

I think its a real positive when any manager or executive is out checking out how things really work in the real world and discerning what they are proud of; and what needs work.

Also, if you read her descriptions, its rather clear she's thoroughly into to Toronto (she's from Atlanta) and that passion is just great to see.

That's great to see, but she's reaching by calling Centennial Park "amazing" - in all its giant sprawl, it doesn't even have a decent modern playground for kids. In that sense it's not in the same league as many much smaller downtown parks, and that should be corrected immediately with additions at several points in the park. Even sleepy Humbertown Park has a much better playground!

Back