News   Apr 26, 2024
 477     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 563     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

We were given a neck and two eyes so we can figure out if any pedestrians are going to get in our way.

Ok, if your bike weighs 2,000+ pounds then you probably shouldn't run red lights with it.

It's not legal. It's harmless. There are a lot of things that aren't legal but are very safe to do, and biking through a red light when it's obvious that nobody's in the way is one of those things.

Your kind of attitude is the reason why we have so many stupid laws in this city. We can't trust some people to exercise basic common sense.
Unreal. lol...
"We can't trust some people to exercise basic common sense" No we can't, as even with laws, a huge number of drivers and cyclists do really fugging stupid things.

What exactly are they doing here? Adding a storage section for cyclists waiting to cross?
That's pretty much it, and a hard left turn when most of them won't be looking over their shoulders for other cyclists running the red, let alone motorists. Sure as hell they won't keep a semblance of streaming across single file. Some might, the rest will just mob across. Because they can.

It's an incredibly poor plan, not least because they'll be stacked within the intersection, an offence itself under the HTA, and a complication to controlling other traffic within the intersection.

Last edited:
Local residents opposed to Woodbine bike lanes have started an online petition. https://www.change.org/p/major-john-tory-remove-woodbine-avenue-bike-lanes 1295 people have signed this petition so far.
Interestingly, that petition makes a massive mistake right off the bat, albeit it's certainly not worded by someone acquitted with the facts:
"Traffic has increased since they've opened."

No it hasn't. It may have dispersed, but the wording of this petition clearly shows a resentment not based on facts, but on a sense of entitlement for cars, not pedestrians or cyclists. It's pretty Toronto alright. That being said, even with cycle lanes, I'd avoid Woodbine like the plague. It's just not a good cycling thoroughfare. Fast? Absolutely, even up-hill if you're fit, but I also have to question the choice of putting lanes there. Evidently the suburbs are closer than we think!

That's pretty much it, and a hard left turn when most of them won't be looking over their shoulders for other cyclists running the red, let alone motorists. Sure as hell they won't keep a semblance of streaming across single file. Some might, the rest will just mob across. Because they can.

It's an incredibly poor plan, not least because they'll be stacked within the intersection, an offence itself under the HTA, and a complication to controlling other traffic within the intersection.

I really think you're over-estimating the number of cyclists who will just try and barrel straight through a mob of cyclists making that movement across the intersection, but that's just me.

I'll tell you this much - those "dangerous" things you're exaggerating already happen, except it just causes cyclists to queue up in the bike lane or on the sidewalk because there's no actual space for them. This is just making that space.

As for your "HTA" argument, do you really think people designed this who aren't aware of the HTA? Apparently so, because this doesn't actually violate the HTA. But that's a whole other issue with your argument.

You'll see when it opens, I really think your prediction of apocalypse is unfounded.

Study that picture carefully. The situation needs addressing, I'm far from convinced this is it. Not the least, cyclists flying through the red light southbound. It's rampant. How rampant? It's happening right in the depiction!

There's a number of 'green boxes' in the city I avoid like the plague. Cyclists themselves rarely know the protocol required to make them work safely, let alone motorists, not to mention the false sense of security it gives the 'never look, never signal, it's all about me' cycling cohort.

Somebody's projecting a little, I think.

(and I also think you're taking a rendering a little too literally)

Local residents opposed to Woodbine bike lanes have started an online petition. https://www.change.org/p/major-john-tory-remove-woodbine-avenue-bike-lanes 1295 people have signed this petition so far.

Oh the horror.

"People have to exit their cars into car traffic or the bike lane,"

"Residents on Woodbine can no longer stop right in front of their homes. They need to carry their personal items across the street and/or obtain a special permit for deliveries or moving in and out of their homes."

"It's a matter of time' before Woodbine bike lanes get someone hurt"

Oh the horror.

"Residents on Woodbine can no longer stop right in front of their homes. They need to carry their personal items across the street and/or obtain a special permit for deliveries or moving in and out of their homes."

It reads like an Onion article.

Makes me wonder what will happen in coming years when the 10 year plan really starts to ramp up. Woodbine was the only major bike lane installation this year beyond some contraflow lanes - what is going to happen next year or the year after when 4-5 major road installations are happening every year?

Makes me wonder what will happen in coming years when the 10 year plan really starts to ramp up. Woodbine was the only major bike lane installation this year beyond some contraflow lanes - what is going to happen next year or the year after when 4-5 major road installations are happening every year?

Yup, and most of the protected on-road items in the 10-year plan involve non-downtown routes, too.

Oh the horror.

Nothing would surprise me since I've read that crappy convenience store owner in the Annex claiming his sales were down 40% since there's less parking on Bloor. Yeah, you're the freaking Costco and people drive to you from all over to city to shop. The whole point of a 'convenience' store is that you exist in an urban area so people in the neighbourhood can walk to you when they don't have enough time to commute to a big supermarket.

Last edited:
Nothing would surprise me since I've read that crappy convenience store owner in the Annex claiming his sales were down 40% since there's less parking on Bloor. Yeah, you're the freaking Costco and people drive to you from all over to city to shop.

House of Lords falls under this too. I'm sure people are driving from Scarborough in order to get a cheap haircut at the House of freaking Lords...

House of Lords falls under this too. I'm sure people are driving from Scarborough in order to get a cheap haircut at the House of freaking Lords...

Except for the fact that people do come downtown for House of Lords. I actually don't know anyone downtown who uses House of Lords. Just assumed it was always people from the burbs thinking it was cool and making the trip there.

When you have a favourite hair dresser, you travel to get to them. I was commuting to Mississauga for hair cuts from downtown until my hair dresser retired. My newest one has people coming in from all over the city to see him.

Convenience stores on the other hand, are never destinations.

I'm not surprised to hear the backlash to the Woodbine bike lane. I always felt like the Beaches were a streetcar suburb that had the sensibility of a modern suburb.

According to King of Kensington, over 50% of Beaches residents drive to work. In contrast, it's about a third in Riverdale and High Park/Roncesvalles.

The area is extremely car-dependent for such a dense neighborhood with many driveways lined with massive SUVs.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised to hear the backlash to the Woodbine bike lane. I always felt like the Beaches were a streetcar suburb that had the sensibility of a modern suburb.

According to King of Kensington, over 50% of Beaches residents drive to work. In contrast, it's about a third in Riverdale and High Park/Roncesvalles.

The area is extremely car-dependent for such a dense neighborhood with many driveways lined with massive SUVs.

It's more like Rosedale or Forest Hill.

Except for the fact that people do come downtown for House of Lords. I actually don't know anyone downtown who uses House of Lords. Just assumed it was always people from the burbs thinking it was cool and making the trip there.

When you have a favourite hair dresser, you travel to get to them. I was commuting to Mississauga for hair cuts from downtown until my hair dresser retired. My newest one has people coming in from all over the city to see him.

Convenience stores on the other hand, are never destinations.

Totally OT, but there is a reason why straying from your regular hairdresser/stylist felt like having an affair.

AoD

Back