News   May 07, 2024
 215     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 624     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

From link:

Amsterdam in the 1970's:
DJRDpgOWsAA_wFR.jpg

and today:
me5355079-4k-crowded-street-downtown-amsterdam-netherlands-a0297.jpg

From link:

Amsterdam in the 1970's:
DJRDpgOWsAA_wFR.jpg

and today:
me5355079-4k-crowded-street-downtown-amsterdam-netherlands-a0297.jpg

It's because of the A10 motorway built in the 70's. A Ring Road very similar to the US-style I-190 ring roads in the midwest. Then they prioritized traffic on the s-1xx roads within Amsterdam which act as major roads without many traffic lights (and often dedicated bike lanes).

So basically Amsterdam built the expressway around their city. Which moved people off local streets onto a highway. Which allows them to use local roads for local activities.

They did not just stop traffic on a street without a comprehensive plan on where it would go.

I wonder what would have happened if Toronto did the same...built the Spadina expressway (and at the same time closed off a bunch of roads for bikes and transit only)

yes, making it legal to cross straight through for cyclists. Right now they cut across the road. Once this is done they will have a dedicated left turn box and route from Adelaide west of Bathurst.

https://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/Policy, Planning, Finance & Administration/Public Consultation Unit/Studies/Transportation/Richmond-Adelaide Cycle Tracks/images/bathurst-adelaide-rendering1.png
bathurst-adelaide-rendering1.png
Study that picture carefully. The situation needs addressing, I'm far from convinced this is it. Not the least, cyclists flying through the red light southbound. It's rampant. How rampant? It's happening right in the depiction!

There's a number of 'green boxes' in the city I avoid like the plague. Cyclists themselves rarely know the protocol required to make them work safely, let alone motorists, not to mention the false sense of security it gives the 'never look, never signal, it's all about me' cycling cohort.

Ironically, the Open Streets Toronto idealist-fest on the weekend clearly displayed the dilemma. I talked to a number of cops who were dismayed, and they got me to speak with the Cycle-Toronto people, whose only answer to the terms of their permit clarifying whether the Bloor Bike Lanes still had their status was "It's open for everyone, just not cars". These people live in a dream world.

I highly suggest that the status of 'pedestrian v bikes' be clearly stated on the permit, and indicated by signage next year. There were a number of accidents with cyclists running into pedestrians. I actually watched one unfold with a horrified cop right next to me.

I suggest the City erect signs indicating how the green boxes are to work. No two cyclists, let alone motorists I speak to have the same idea of what the protocol is.

It's because of the A10 motorway built in the 70's. A Ring Road very similar to the US-style I-190 ring roads in the midwest. Then they prioritized traffic on the s-1xx roads within Amsterdam which act as major roads without many traffic lights (and often dedicated bike lanes).

So basically Amsterdam built the expressway around their city. Which moved people off local streets onto a highway. Which allows them to use local roads for local activities.

They did not just stop traffic on a street without a comprehensive plan on where it would go.

I wonder what would have happened if Toronto did the same...built the Spadina expressway (and at the same time closed off a bunch of roads for bikes and transit only)
It's a very good point, and the case of many European cities even if it wasn't for the sake of cyclists. It was the sake of sanity, and retaining the 'town centres' for people and the town's way of life.

In the UK and many other nations, they are termed "by-passes". And in some cases, railway stations were relocated adjoining those by-passes and being termed "parkway stations".

It's a tad too advanced for those addicted to sprawl.

Study that picture carefully. The situation needs addressing, I'm far from convinced this is it. Not the least, cyclists flying through the red light southbound. It's rampant. How rampant? It's happening right in the depiction!

It's a curb lane for an outbound one-way street. There's nothing bad about someone on a bike crossing the red light if they use their neck and eyes and make sure there isn't anyone crossing the street in front of them - admittedly a big ask for some people, but that doesn't mean the others should be chastised for doing something harmless.

It's a curb lane for an outbound one-way street. There's nothing bad about someone on a bike crossing the red light if they use their neck and eyes and make sure there isn't anyone crossing the street in front of them - admittedly a big ask for some people, but that doesn't mean the others should be chastised for doing something harmless.
You completely miss the point. How about that cyclist flying through the red light? Not red? Then the pedestrians are crossing on a red...(In the event, the peds clearly have a 'walk' and the cyclist is ignoring the red)

Rather than me endlessly point out to people who think turning left in a four lane (or more) both directions intersection is madness (unless there's next to zero traffic), let's just say the Dutch and Danes would look at that 'solution' and shid themselves.

Like a lot of cycling infrastructure in Toronto, it puts cyclists in more danger than just having them think for themselves. Make no mistake, I'm in absolute envy of the Dutch and Danish solutions, being copied by a number of US cities, as well as in other nations, but not here.

I repeat: Many 'green boxes' are invitations to disaster. There's a 'through the intersection and left turn' box at Lansdowne and Dundas, for cyclists eastbound to go north. I have a poor pic of it: (Every time I step back to get more context, I almost get hit by traffic)
Photo0016.jpg

It's wonderful in theory. In practice? It violates at least two clauses in the HTA, and sticks the cyclist in the middle of manic traffic while waiting for the light to change in his/her favour to proceed north.

You'd have to be a fugging maniac to use it. But alas...some will. And be completely oblivious to the danger.

There's nothing bad about someone on a bike crossing the red light if they use their neck and eyes and make sure there isn't anyone crossing the street in front of them - admittedly a big ask for some people, but that doesn't mean the others should be chastised for doing something harmless.

With pedestrians crossing obliviously on a green, as is their right? Jeezuz Keerist....

I included your quote so if you decide to yank it, a copy remains.

And how about cars running red lights too? What if there's no-one else at the intersection....yeah, try that one in court, and see how far you get. You know, your attitude is exactly what gives cyclists who observe the law and hold motorists to the same standard a rough time.

Attachments

• Photo0016.jpg
    Photo0016.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Local residents opposed to Woodbine bike lanes have started an online petition. https://www.change.org/p/major-john-tory-remove-woodbine-avenue-bike-lanes 1295 people have signed this petition so far.

Don't Remove Woodbine Bike Lanes petition at this link!

New bike lanes were installed on Woodbine Avenue, and although some are crying over the extra few minutes in their single-occupancy vehicles, and losing a few parking spaces, we just wanted to take the time to say thanks, well done.

You see, we understand that in order for the city to grow and thrive well into the future, and to face down threats such as climate change, we need to start getting people out of their vehicles by offering an assortment of transportation choices from cycling to commuter trains to subways to buses and even pedestrian options.

In addition, these cycling lanes connect a growing part of the city to the waterfront and the beach. And, everyone loves the beach right? Have you tried to find parking down there on the weekend? Yowza. So much easier to pedal down and spend the day relaxing and not having to worry about time on a parking meter.

Oh, and now we can even link up to the cycling network that runs along Dundas to the downtown or along Lakeshore. What a great way to see the city.

It's hard to get people to understand that cyclists also pay taxes, and we deserve a place to cycle that is safe. People get hurt and some even die cycling in Toronto in part because of a lack of good cycling infrastructure. That doesn't seem fair to me.

So, this a good start. Sure, we know it will take some time for people to adjust their behaviour and take advantage of the bike lanes. Maybe a few of those people sitting in traffic those extra couple of minutes will look out and see the smiles on cyclists faces as they whiz by getting some fresh air and exercise while pedalling to their destination.

Single-occupancy vehicles are the most inefficient mode of transportation going. Bicycles are the best. Thank you for acknowledging this and continuing to build safe cycling infrastructure in Toronto.

With pedestrians crossing obliviously on a green, as is their right? Jeezuz Keerist....

We were given a neck and two eyes so we can figure out if any pedestrians are going to get in our way.

And how about cars running red lights too?

Ok, if your bike weighs 2,000+ pounds then you probably shouldn't run red lights with it.

Yeah, try that one in court, and see how far you get.

It's not legal. It's harmless. There are a lot of things that aren't legal but are very safe to do, and biking through a red light when it's obvious that nobody's in the way is one of those things.

You know, your attitude is exactly what gives cyclists who observe the law and hold motorists to the same standard a rough time.

Your kind of attitude is the reason why we have so many stupid laws in this city. We can't trust some people to exercise basic common sense.

Back