News   Apr 26, 2024
 856     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 255     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 757     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

caledonia_station_render.png

^^ Ik that says caledonia station but i'm pretty sure it's the same design for mount dennis too. The cladding is a thin colourful stripe on blank concrete. I mean, i'd rather the whole wall too but oh well. Guess the idea was to just have art and colour at eye-level for the humans, and not elsewhere. Better than TYSSE or Sheppard station walls, maybe not as good as the old station walls (depending on who you ask)

The stations are pretty disappointing, tbh. A lot of attention was directed towards attractive entrances, but things get very boring once you take the escalator down.

I am okay with that - it looks consistent and clear across the entire line. I much rather have this than needless excess that is the Spadina extension - and even some of the entrances for this line looks excessive.

AoD

The stations are pretty disappointing, tbh. A lot of attention was directed towards attractive entrances, but things get very boring once you take the escalator down.

I agree.

I am okay with that - it looks consistent and clear across the entire line. I much rather have this than needless excess that is the Spadina extension.

AoD

The TYSSE Stations excesses are largely volume/scale; as it stands they universally lack trackside tile; and made use of TTC Standardized lighting for the most part.

I think its entirely possible not to deliver 2x the requisite capacity/volume of space; at considerable savings; and avoid exorbitant flourishes.......

While still providing a basic level of interest and high quality finishes.

I agree.
The TYSSE Stations excesses are largely volume/scale; as it stands they universally lack trackside tile; and made use of TTC Standardized lighting for the most part.
I think its entirely possible not to deliver 2x the requisite capacity/volume of space; at considerable savings; and avoid exorbitant flourishes.......

The problem is multifold - ridiculous oversizing of certain stations (407, 2 busbays at Pioneer?!), poor finishes/workmanship (the concrete work at York U)

AoD

I agree.

I really don't mind spending the extra money for well designed & finished subway stations anywhere. There's something to be said for pride/quality in the civic realm. I do agree that they probably went over the top given these particular stations, given their purpose and expected usage.

Last edited:
I really don't mind spending the extra money for well designed & finished subway stations anywhere. There's something to be said for pride in and quality in the civic realm. I do agree that they probably went over the top given these particular stations, their purpose and expected usage.
The underground Crosstown Stations are just fine IMO. I see them as a mix of the traditional subway stations on Line 2 and Toronto-York extensions. Not too grandiose as TYSSE but also not as small as the stations on Line 2.

The underground Crosstown Stations are just fine IMO. I see them as a mix of the traditional subway stations on Line 2 and Toronto-York extensions. Not too grandiose as TYSSE but also not as small as the stations on Line 2.

They can't be as small because the code has changed (ventilation, egress, etc).

AoD

The problem is multifold - ridiculous oversizing of certain stations (407, 2 busbays at Pioneer?!), poor finishes/workmanship (the concrete work at York U)

AoD
The problem with the TYSSE was that 2 stations were built for future developments: 407 for Vaughan developments and the 407 transitway, and Downsview Park for RER.

I've made this argument before elsewhere, but given the longer time associated with waiting for GO Transit (whether it be a bus or a train), the extra space is necessary. Prior to the COVID 19 pandemic, 407 was seeing a crap ton of York University students waiting in the bus terminal during the evening, to the point in which it was pretty much standing room only throughout the terminal. That terminal really needs to see better 25F service, and new services from Guelph. It has so much potential from a GO connectability perspective.

Downsview Park will be empty for the forseeable future, but when you consider the fact that they pretty much built an interchange station, the price becomes easier to eat (even though it's grossly oversized for RER)

Finch West was a good size given the fire code allowances, but the ceilings could have definitely been lower. Same with Pioneer Village. The 2 bus terminals is fine since they have to separate the fare zones, and since all the bays are in use (It's basically the finch station of the Spadina Line, or at least it will be once ridership and development along the line increases).

The only station I'd say is vastly oversized outside of Downsview Park is VMC. That station really did not need that additional bus terminal, but at least it wasn't paid for by the TTC.

Back