News   Jun 18, 2021
 2.1K     4 

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Nov 20
Keele & Eglinton Intersection back to normal with cycles lanes on Eglinton.

50667673431_768ef24067_b.jpg

50666929818_d28b8577f3_b.jpg

50666928548_2be8567f71_b.jpg

50667793407_ea995f53a6_b.jpg

50667716231_28366b8e58_b.jpg

50667793272_88f3d67436_b.jpg

There's no trees and no room for any..................that's awful!

That will make the area very unappealing aesthetically and for walkers, it means no respite from the hot sun and no wind breaks.

I'm all for bike lanes, but those should have come at the expense of a lane of traffic, not streetscaping.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

That will make the area very unappealing aesthetically and for walkers, it means no respite from the hot sun and no wind breaks.

I'm all for bike lanes, but those should have come at the expense of a lane of traffic, not streetscaping.

According to the plans, trees will be planted around the station entrances. From link. You'll have to let your grandkids see the mature trees, unfortunately.

ext_keele_main_day_60final.jpg

screen-shot-2018-11-22-at-10-10-04-am-png.164594

tmlittle

Member Bio
Reaction score

While I'm glad these LRT projects are happening, it's unfortunate the street redesigns are happening at a time when it's not very politically possible to shrink bloated 4 lane arterials down to something more reasonable. First we have to get out of the mindset of "traffic will always increase" and instead, "how can we choke traffic down to a minimal level on urban streets".

asher__jo

Member Bio
Reaction score
While I'm glad these LRT projects are happening, it's unfortunate the street redesigns are happening at a time when it's not very politically possible to shrink bloated 4 lane arterials down to something more reasonable. First we have to get out of the mindset of "traffic will always increase" and instead, "how can we choke traffic down to a minimal level on urban streets".
I think in the context on a crosstown arterial road like Eglinton 4 lanes is completely appropriate.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I think in the context on a crosstown arterial road like Eglinton 4 lanes is completely appropriate.

So you want a treeless landscape where all the businesses will suffer financially and pedestrians are left with an unpleasant environment? Or you want to cancel the bike lanes?

Pick.

I don't mean to seem aggressive, but something does have to give.

I will unapologetically pick the traffic lanes.

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score

So you want a treeless landscape where all the businesses will suffer financially and pedestrians are left with an unpleasant environment? Or you want to cancel the bike lanes?

Pick.

The city should ensure that sidewalks are a reasonable width, that there are bike lanes and there is enough travel lanes to handle the traffic.

How would a business suffer financially without having a tread street?

asher__jo

Member Bio
Reaction score

Pick.

Haha, don't make it all doom and gloom. The upgrades are already a massive improvement, and there's always potential to improve it in the future.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The city should ensure that sidewalks are a reasonable width, that there are bike lanes and there is enough travel lanes to handle the traffic.

How would a business suffer financially without having a tread street?

Because I'm their target shopper and I wouldn't shop on a street I find ugly; or unpleasant to walk along.

The majority of customers for these businesses are not drivers; they are walkers, cyclists and transit users.

They are locals.

Make the experience unpleasant and they will go elsewhere.

The businesses on Eglinton don't win customers on price.

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Because I'm their target shopper and I wouldn't shop on a street I find ugly; or unpleasant to walk along.

The majority of customers for these businesses are not drivers; they are walkers, cyclists and transit users.

They are locals.

Make the experience unpleasant and they will go elsewhere.

The businesses on Eglinton don't win customers on price.

I guess you never shop....

Also, trees in a street are actually a bad thing. Their roots break up concrete and asphalt. Look at the old streets with mature trees that have not been recently repaved and you will see the heave.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I guess you never shop....

Also, trees in a street are actually a bad thing. Their roots break up concrete and asphalt. Look at the old streets with mature trees that have not been recently repaved and you will see the heave.

We disagree about pretty much everything.

Trees are important to the environment; important to aesthetics, important to shade/wind conditions, and important to property values. All facts supportable by evidence.

Also, I'm not going to be patronized by you.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
We disagree about pretty much everything.

Trees are important to the environment; important to aesthetics, important to shade/wind conditions, and important to property values. All facts supportable by evidence.

Also, I'm not going to be patronized by you.

Haha, I feel the same way, I literally disagree with almost everything micheal_can says on this board.