News   Jul 06, 2020
 350     0 
News   Jul 06, 2020
 465     1 

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Went out on the surface section between Victoria Park and Kennedy. Unfortunately I didn't take any shots but overhead catenary poles are up between Pharmacy and Warden and is now continuous between Victoria Park and Birchmount. Catenary poles are also up within the Kennedy Portal. Except for a bit of activity on Birchmount, it was fairly deserted throughout. The west Go Platform at Kennedy is progressing at a good rate as well.

officedweller

Member Bio
Reaction score
Cedarvale, Eglinton, and Kennedy has fare gates in the renderings. It seems shady that only the interchange stations in the renderings have them
That's probably to serve as an exit or entrance faregate from or to the subway station. You would tap again on the LRT train (which would be a linked trip under the same fare). That way the data knows where you exited the subway (may or may not know where you boarded the LRT depending on vehicle onboard GPS capability).
In Vancouver the desire to have passengers tap off buses was to gather data to tailor services, but the geography played with the GPS/wireless data signal to/from buses and there was too great a time lag on the data transfer, so they scrapped the tap off buses and made them all tap on only and flat fare (not even zones).

Last edited:

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
Received this from a forward yesterday... Construction at Eglinton and Bermondsey/Sloane. Workers indicated the construction is moving faster due to lack of traffic. Some good news I guessView attachment 240977
Yesterday was cold, but clear when I drove to work I can verify this. There were three separate pours going on in the one block (Vic Park to Bermondsey/Sloane) at 08:30AM. I think that contractors are using the low levels of traffic all over to do a ton of roadwork.

north-of-anything

Member Bio
Reaction score
The main problem I see with shutting down Eglinton would be that in a lot of places, there really aren't a lot of alternative routes. Between Laird and Pharmacy, there are few to no parallel streets that can absorb any traffic, unless you go far out of your way. The most viable alternative for crossing the Don River would probably be Millwood Road and O'Connor Drive. In these times, the capacity is there, but I don't think Metrolinx likes the idea of redirecting people that far away.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The main problem I see with shutting down Eglinton would be that in a lot of places, there really aren't a lot of alternative routes. Between Laird and Pharmacy, there are few to no parallel streets that can absorb any traffic, unless you go far out of your way. The most viable alternative for crossing the Don River would probably be Millwood Road and O'Connor Drive. In these times, the capacity is there, but I don't think Metrolinx likes the idea of redirecting people that far away.
The only cut-and-cover done on Eglinton Avenue is at or around the future stations. The rest of bored. When they cut-and-cover the original Yonge subway, they had Bay Street and Church Street as alternate routes. Not available with Eglinton Avenue.

From link.

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score
well to be fair we are under virtual lockdown orders except for essential errands. Whoever is driving when theyre not supposed to is at their own peril at this time so hopefully metrolinx will do the sensible thing and GZF to cars over the potential of clawing back prgress