News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.4K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Once again Metrolinx demonstrate that it can't write RFP correctly or understand what is needed for rolling stock or anything else.

I made a similar comment in the Presto thread a few days ago. The software issues with Presto are utterly baffling. There's no way at all that Metrolinx should've ever accepted the Presto system given how low quality it is. The software issues with Presto are inexcusable, and don't ever let Metrolinx gaslight us into thinking otherwise. No competent organization would've accepted Presto, given how many defects are in the system.

How Metrolinx is this bad at managing major projects is mystery to me. Between the botched LRV orders, the delayed and overbudget Crosstown, the failed Presto system, their failure to procure the FWLRT and SELRT in a timely manner, the cancelation of the Hamilton LRT, the embarrassing UPX rollout and their inability to find a private partner to rollout GO Electrification, this organization comes across as utterly incompetent. Someone really oughta sit down and figure out what the hell is going on inside of that organization. I have zero confidence whatsoever in their ability to deliver any major projects.

I can't wait til we find out how defective the Crosstown LRT is when it finally rolls out. Many of the same companies involved in the O-Train are involved in the Crosstown, and given how compressed the Crosstown's schedule has become thanks to Metrolinx's mismanagement, I have a feeling that the Crosstown rollout will make even this O-Train fiasco look good in comparison.

And now they’re trying to deliver the EWLRT, Ontario Line and SSE on an extraordinarily compressed schedule. For all our sake, I say good luck to them

Last edited:
And now they’re trying to deliver the EWLRT, Ontario Line and SSE on an extraordinarily compressed schedule. For all our sake, I say good luck to them
I really agree schedules are compressed at all. They are taking longer than others to deliver a project in 10 years oppose to 5-8 years. That's plenty of times to screw up.

I made a similar comment in the Presto thread a few days ago. The software issues with Presto are utterly baffling. There's no way at all that Metrolinx should've ever accepted the Presto system given how low quality it is. The software issues with Presto are inexcusable, and don't ever let Metrolinx gaslight us into thinking otherwise. No competent organization would've accepted Presto, given how many defects are in the system.

How Metrolinx is this bad at managing major projects is mystery to me. Between the botched LRV orders, the delayed and overbudget Crosstown, the failed Presto system, their failure to procure the FWLRT and SELRT in a timely manner, the cancelation of the Hamilton LRT, the embarrassing UPX rollout and their inability to find a private partner to rollout GO Electrification, this organization comes across as utterly incompetent. Someone really oughta sit down and figure out what the hell is going on inside of that organization. I have zero confidence whatsoever in their ability to deliver any major projects.

I can't wait til we find out how defective the Crosstown LRT is when it finally rolls out. Many of the same companies involved in the O-Train are involved in the Crosstown, and given how compressed the Crosstown's schedule has become thanks to Metrolinx's mismanagement, I have a feeling that the Crosstown rollout will make even this O-Train fiasco look good in comparison.

It been reported Bombardier wash their hand of KW signalling system they were to build.

From my dealing with Metrolinx over the years and talking to folks no longer with them, nameless folks had no idea how to plan, manage, think outside the box. Based on my background, I call out Metrolinx on a number of projects how miss manage there were to allow contractor or P3 firms to carry on or hold their feet to the fire. In many cases, contractor came up with a faster and cheaper way of doing project which Metrolinx love. Sad to say Bondfield was soo later on 2 projects well before other project they started that should have sent out red flags to others, but keep under the table.

Metrolinx fails doing business cases for any project including Crosstown.

Had great hope in 2006/7 for Metrolinx, but no hope in hell today for them every doing anything right. Hope for the good for Crosstown and if better happens, will be please.

I really agree schedules are compressed at all. They are taking longer than others to deliver a project in 10 years oppose to 5-8 years. That's plenty of times to screw up.

Also, when I say compressed, I mean compressed in the sense that they’ve pushed back a huge portion of the critical work to the very end of the Crosstown’s construction schedule.

Beyond the delays in building the physical structures themselves, which we’ve already discussed in details, Metrolinx/Crosslinx need to complete installation of the various subsystems that comprise this metro line. This is not trivial. In fact, it’s arguably the most challenging phase of project delivery. This includes things such as installing catenary and electrical systems, signalling systems, transit signal priory, elevators, escalators, HVAC, critical safety systems, etc.... All these systems will need to be installed, and tested to ensure that each individual system works as expected with the other systems. Time will be needed to identify and resolve defects in these systems before the Eglinton Line is ready for revenue service. This isn’t something that can be rushed.

Given that several stations are still literal dirt just 2.5 years short of revenue service, it appears that they’re really going to have to rush thru the systems installation phase, and that is going to introduce defects. Even if the Eglinton Line is physically complete in 2022, we could very well end up with a metro line with, say, a dysfunctional signalling system.

We mustn’t underestimate how challenging systems installation will be. Many metro projects have been long delayed because they couldn’t figure out how to implement these systems correctly. And while it’s far too early to predict future delays, nothing we’ve seen from Metrolinx or Crosslinx inspires confidence in their ability to get this right.

It been reported Bombardier wash their hand of KW signalling system they were to build.

Bombardier originally had nothing to do with the signalling system. Being the winning bidder, Grandlinq had spec'd out their own system to install. Only when Grandlinq fell behind did they approach Bombardier about installing the on-board systems onto the rolling stock.

Dan

March 12
Mount Dennis Open House Boards................You would think they would have current condition photos, not 2019 ones.
49655534146_0b92c86d35_b.jpg

49655534321_dfe7f61600_b.jpg

49655534566_274bf79d31_b.jpg

49655534731_e5dd09f5be_b.jpg

49654995963_28de528606_b.jpg

49655814792_2af9c0883b_b.jpg

49655535411_0eb710b99c_b.jpg

49655815277_5d00ee346f_b.jpg

49655535821_8acde462d3_b.jpg

49655815747_42017bdcd3_b.jpg

49654997323_431b721af3_b.jpg

49655816257_08718f67cf_b.jpg

is there plans to build a ramp or elevator from Wynford Drive to Eglinton. Currently there are stairs that takes people up to eglinton and as we all know, all new transit projects must follow the Accesibility Act. I can't find anything about it. It would be dumb for people to take a 300m detour via the Eglinton interchange ramps. Who am i kidding? Of course it's metrolinx

is there plans to build a ramp or elevator from Wynford Drive to Eglinton. Currently there are stairs that takes people up to eglinton and as we all know, all new transit projects must follow the Accesibility Act. I can't find anything about it. It would be dumb for people to take a 300m detour via the Eglinton interchange ramps. Who am i kidding? Of course it's metrolinx
Originally in the redesign of the stop by ML, they have a ramp on the south side as part of the design.

Somehow it has disappeared in more recent designs.

Of course now they have totally shifted the platforms to be west of the signalization.

Originally in the redesign of the stop by ML, they have a ramp on the south side as part of the design.

Somehow it has disappeared in more recent designs.

Of course now they have totally shifted the platforms to be west of the signalization.

Is Metrolinx ignoring any Accessibility Advisory Committee, or is it just a "figurehead" who rubber-stamps anything they or he or she gets on their desk?

Now that COVID-19 is taking over the world, how do you think construction on the Crosstown will be impacted? Will workers be removed in order to protect themselves and potentially push back the 2022 date or will they take advantage of the little traffic out there and speed up the project?

Now that COVID-19 is taking over the world, how do you think construction on the Crosstown will be impacted? Will workers be removed in order to protect themselves and potentially push back the 2022 date or will they take advantage of the little traffic out there and speed up the project?

Corona is ruining lives, not even necessarily the potential of catching it, but the mass overreaction hysteria surrounding it causing all sorts of appointments for me personally to have to be cancelled, costing me money ,which I'm not too pleased about at all. But I digress. I can't imagine that the Crosstown construction timeline won't also be impacted. Especially with the spectre of a worldwide recession ominously hovering on the horizon.

Its been my experience that construction companies don't care about the health of their workers, only about workplace injuries that the company could be found at fault for.

I am more concerned about supply chain disruptions than construction disruption.

Maybe it is for the best that the Crosstown construction has already been delayed, because I can imagine that the disruption may cause delays in the delivery of Alstom LRT vehicles.

I am more concerned about supply chain disruptions than construction disruption.
Maybe it is for the best that the Crosstown construction has already been delayed, because I can imagine that the disruption may cause delays in the delivery of Alstom LRT vehicles.
When are/were they expecting those vehicles to make some kind of debut for actual travel on the rails testing?

Back