1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 539     0 

Couple of Olde Toronto Pics

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Snapped these shots while inside the exhibits in Commerce Court during Doors Open.

Not sure if they've been posted before (probably have).

Oh well it's worth another look:

a23vd9.jpg

a256zk9.jpg

dsc03142ah3.jpg

Wow... looks like a completely different city. I think the only thing modern Toronto has left from the time those old photographs were taken is the power/telephone poles and lines.

Makes one wish we could have at least a few of those beautiful buildings back.

I prefer the current look of King and Bay with the sleek office towers and early 20th century skyscrapers.

The MINT has always been the architectural epicentre of the city, whether it was in 1850, 1900 or 2007. We could have moved our financial district away from the historic area like they did in Montreal, but things generally don't work that way.

I prefer the current look of King and Bay with the sleek office towers and early 20th century skyscrapers.

The MINT has always been the architectural epicentre of the city, whether it was in 1850, 1900 or 2007. We could have moved our financial district away from the historic area like they did in Montreal, but things generally don't work that way.

The current skyscrapers are great, but I wish we had a couple of intact streets downtown from the era pictured above. Of course, it would be a theme park by now...

Whenever I see pics like those, I think, man, did we ever f&ck up in our efforts to be cutting edge and modern.

I'm afraid that we're just going to repeat the same mistake with Pure Parking Garage, er, Pure Spirit.
Perhaps a valid concern, but not quite the same situation as the new condo towers aren't replacing any historic buildings. It's more about juxtaposition than annihilation.

Back