News   Mar 28, 2024
 163     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Could Trump-type politics succeed in Canada?

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
Or are we just too tolerant, insufficiently nationalistic and too committed to Multiculturalism?

Could it have some appeal in the SW Ontario "rust belt"?

One difference between Kellie Leitch and other rightwing populists I've seen is she isn't at all charismatic. Does she actually make demagogic speeches, or are we just getting press releases from Nick Kouvalis?

Yes, at least in provincial politics.

In Ontario, where the conditions are distantly mirroring those in the Rust Belt states that Trump took.

We have the Liberals (compare to Clinton's Democrats / the 'Establishment'), and the Conservatives (this cycle's 'outsiders'). The NDP are kind of rudderless with Horwath.

Of course, this will depend on how well the economy (especially in SW/Eastern Ontario) does, news coverage of the Liberals, and if Trump proves himself to be a massive disaster south of the border (which would scare voters off).

The Star's take here:

Ontario’s next general election is 19 months away, and the next pair of byelections is a week away. On cue, fanciful stories are being spread that Premier Kathleen Wynne personally oversaw a vast criminal empire brimming with unprecedented bribery, chicanery, union payoffs and billion-dollar scandals.

Trump’s election distortions have reminded journalists everywhere that the corruption narrative is overly simplistic and easily amplified. But it’s not always reflective of reality, no matter how much voters lap it up.

All that said, Clinton didn’t just lose because of excessive innuendo, but a lack of inspiration, a paucity of vision, and an absence of empathy. Above all, she was weighed down by the baggage of Democratic rule at a time when people were clamouring for regime change — cold comfort for Ontario’s Liberals after 13 years in power.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...actics-play-out-in-ontario-politics-cohn.html

Last edited:
In a way, Trudeau is our Trump.

No experience. Poor orator. Relied on being a celebrity to get elected.

This was in Mississauga.

Cw7-v74WgAABaSl.jpg

Attachments

• Cw7-v74WgAABaSl.jpg
    Cw7-v74WgAABaSl.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,004
In a way, Trudeau is our Trump.
No experience. Poor orator. Relied on being a celebrity to get elected.

In no way. He has been an MP for how many years prior? And don't forget - he chose to run in a Montreal riding that is not considered a Liberal shoo-in. He has earned it - even though he is an insider who easily have been parachuted into a safe riding.

If you want to say that he won because of his "celebrity" - you must have conveniently forgotten that his party was 3rd place at the time of the election call.

AoD

Last edited:
Amazing to me that someone even asks this after the experience of Rob Ford. Of course it could happen, if the right combination of personality and circumstance comes along. Working class old industrial places like Windsor and Hamilton that have long went NDP could jump straight to the more extreme shades of conservatism if they feel that the left and the mainstream have forgotten their concerns for the fashions of identity politics. The rural/urban split already happens. Voters in the last election sharply rejected Harper's last minute targeting, but maybe that failed so clearly only because Harper was stale for everyone after 10 years, the tactics felt desperate, and Trudeau ran a really strong campaign that promised youth and energy. We're not as polarised as the States, and we're not shaped by the kind of myths of our founding that they have, and we're just not that important, so maybe it is easier for us to find the mushy middle. But democracy seems an increasingly dangerous business.

To add to what I said above: In Quebec, their billionaire oligarch took over a political party founded by unions, artists and intellectuals. John Tory only runs to be the boss of things, and who the hell is John Tory to be so presumptuous? Made him Mayor. Would Conrad Black be our closest thing to Trump? Damaged goods now, but if a younger, unconvicted Conrad Black was to rise today, could he be a political force in Canada, a lightening rod for culture wars? Sure.

The PQ long ago ceased to be a party of unions, artists and intellectuals. They had gone off the rails way before PKP came along - a party with an aging membership and whose appeal was increasingly in the hinterlands than in the cities. Québec Solidaire exists in large part, but not entirely, due to the PQ's increasing shift away from its social democratic roots and towards ethnic nationalism. Lisée will push them more in this direction - watch for more reactionary, empty rhetoric, and policies designed to appeal to those who feel disenfranchised, although the playing field in Quebec is quite different than what Trump faced in the States.

Conrad Black doesn't have the right temperament, not now, not 20 years ago.

John Tory is actually the opposite of Trumpism - a turn away from reactionary populism towards Toryism.

This was in Mississauga.

View attachment 91567

so? what's wrong with that? People can't like the fact Trump is elected? I am sure many liked Obama being elected as well.
Why all the bitterness? Do you have a crystal ball saying Trump will be a horrible disaster? I am sure you are sure of it, but wait a couple of years and tell us what horrible things he did.

Under Obama US median income declined while average incomes grew. The Obamacare is a disaster. The middle east is worse than ever. What a great leader, Nobel Peace Prize winner! And he still wants to push this BS TPP agenda. I am just glad that's all dead.

so? what's wrong with that? People can't like the fact Trump is elected? I am sure many liked Obama being elected as well.
Why all the bitterness? Do you have a crystal ball saying Trump will be a horrible disaster? I am sure you are sure of it, but wait a couple of years and tell us what horrible things he did.

My post never said any of that you fool.

Except he's not at all a demagogue who appeals to the worst of people and the worst in people.

He isn't? What about the whole legalizing pot thing? You don't suppose Trudeau exploited much of the youth vote with this frivolous issue? All politicians are demagogues to varying degrees. Unfortunately, that's the nature of politics these days.

If you want to say that he won because of his "celebrity" - you must have conveniently forgotten that his party was 3rd place at the time of the election call.
AoD

All the more reason why his celebrity appeal was so beneficial. He didn't win the campaign solely off his platform, but--largely among youth voters--because he is young, charming, handsome, "in touch" and has that casual/regular guy appeal (like he is someone's cool uncle), etc. Many shallow, apathetic girls voted for him just because they think he is cute. His image was/is a massive advantage for him. And no doubt his drama background helped him convince many people to vote for him. Have just about anyone else run the same campaign (especially some square, older white guy) and the results wouldn't be nearly what they were. No one voted for Stephen Harper because they think he is a hip, sexy guy with a hairy chest...Well, maybe some did. I swear, I wasn't one of them.

But democracy seems an increasingly dangerous business.

What is the alternative? Democracy isn't without its problems, but it is the best system we have.

Last edited:
He isn't? What about the whole legalizing pot thing? You don't suppose Trudeau exploited much of the youth vote with this frivolous issue? All politicians are demagogues to varying degrees. Unfortunately, that's the nature of politics these days.

All the more reason why his celebrity appeal was so beneficial. He didn't win the campaign solely off his platform, but--largely among youth voters--because he is young, charming, handsome, "in touch" and has that casual/regular guy appeal (like he is someone's cool uncle), etc. Many shallow, apathetic girls voted for him just because they think he is cute. His image was/is a massive advantage for him. And no doubt his drama background helped him convince many people to vote for him. Have just about anyone else run the same campaign (especially some square, older white guy) and the results wouldn't be nearly what they were. No one voted for Stephen Harper because they think he is a hip, sexy guy with a hairy chest...Well, maybe some did. I swear, I wasn't one of them.
That's right. Write-off young Canadians as ill-informed and naive... at your own peril.

Back